Spotify Thinks I'm in the Wrong Country

Solved!

Re: Spotify Thinks I'm in the Wrong Country

Peter__
Community Legend

@scottyboynz wrote:

The Spotify App says that im in the wrong country and wont connect and goes into offline mode :( when I click to update my country it has United States and is greyed out so I cant change it to New Zealand. how do I fix this? because at the moment I cant use it at all :( 

Seen a few reports of this lately, not sure what is going on!

If you drop support an email here they can get it changed over manually for you. If you get an automated email reply pointing you to the community, reply directly to that email and your case will reach an advisor. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

user-removed
Not applicable

Hey peter,

i do have the same problem of country related error.

I have a Free account on spotify.

On my online overview my username is the same what i use, to login for my desktop client of spotify. The country is also being shown as USA.

However, in Subscription Status it says, Your account can no longer be used from abroad, since the maximum travel time is 14 days for a Spotify Free account. To continue using Spotify from abroad, sign up for Spotify Premium which gives you unlimited travel access.

Why its telling this ?

Peter__
Community Legend

Is your IP address locating to the USA @demonduskk? http://whatismyipaddress.com/

Peter

Peter

user-removed
Not applicable

Hey,

Peter i read earlier posts on the forum & yes my ip address is not locating to USA, but i dont get it how was i able to access it for the first time then? !

(& just to let you know i use SmartyDNS service..)

So what we can do now ?

Peter__
Community Legend

@user-removed wrote:

Hey,

Peter i read earlier posts on the forum & yes my ip address is not locating to USA, but i dont get it how was i able to access it for the first time then? !

(& just to let you know i use SmartyDNS service..)

So what we can do now ?

Not sure, why you could access it before. What country does your IP address locate to? 

Peter

Peter

user-removed
Not applicable

Not sure, why you could access it before. What country does your IP address locate to? 

Peter

Its India. The SmartyDNS support team has told me to reinstall the spotify desktop app...

I'll give it a try, and keep you posted.

Regards,

demon !

user-removed
Not applicable

Even reinstalling the desktop app was in vain..

I should atleast get an option to change the country, if its saying the country does not match !

what is the problem with this thing ! ?

Peter__
Community Legend

@user-removed wrote:

Even reinstalling the desktop app was in vain..

I should atleast get an option to change the country, if its saying the country does not match !

what is the problem with this thing ! ?

You can't change the country since it will only allow you to change to the country your IP address locates to (unless you are willing to enter some payment details) - but Spotify is not available in India where the system thinks you are. 

I am not familiar with how it works, but does using your standard DNS rather than SmartyDNS make any difference to your IP address? 

Peter

Peter

user-removed
Not applicable

You can't change the country since it will only allow you to change to the country your IP address locates to (unless you are willing to enter some payment details) - but Spotify is not available in India where the system thinks you are. 

I am not familiar with how it works, but does using your standard DNS rather than SmartyDNS make any difference to your IP address? 

Peter

Hi peter,

One thing i dont get it,  i am not able to change the country in my Spotify Account from USA to any other country(which is weird since if Spotify geo-locates my IP it should have changed to India from USA !),

so is it not changing from USA to India because we dont have Spotify in India, OR,

it detects that i can access Spotify via my SmartyDNS but at the same time, my IP address doesn't agree to that ?

I had asked the same Q to the SmartyDNS technical team that - "since i understand it does not hide my ip but just changes the DNS. So how does it access spotify? "

The reply was - "Yes, we don't change your IP, we unblock Spotify through DNS addresses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm simultaneously in touch with the SmartyDNS Support Team on this & keeping them updated about my findings from this forum(& vice versa). After reinstalling they had asked me, whether i tried to open up the app from Spotify Online Player instead of my desktop app? but the same conuntry mismatch message continues.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets see, whats next ...phew....

Peter__
Community Legend

Spotify won't let you change your country to India, since Spotify is not available there and you can only change your country on your profile to countries where Spotify is available and whilst you are in that country. 

You can however, change your country without an IP address check by entering your payment details (but not actually subscribing) on this page. Alternatively, if you get in touch with Spotify support via email here they might be able to work some behind the scenes magic for you. 

Peter

Peter

SUGGESTED POSTS