Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Thinks I'm in the Wrong Country

Solved!

Spotify Thinks I'm in the Wrong Country

Hi,

I'll et straight to the point.

I'm quite annoyed as I have had to make 3 spotify accounts already because of this problem. Spotify seems to think that I'm Sweden when in reality I'm actually in Australia. Twice now I have not been able to listen to music because spotify blocks the use of music when I'm in the wrong country, obviously it thinks I'm in from Sweden but in Australia but the strange thing is that when I go to my account preferences to change my country to Asutralia because it automatically sets me as in Sweden it won't let me. Apparently I have a Swedish IP when I live in Australia...

This is becoming extremely annoying as I now have 3 accounts and only 1 works, however it still thinks I'm in sweden.

Regards, Marcus

212 Replies

I don't have a premium account but I did make my account in the US and have never left the US since. suddenly it says I'm in the wrong country. I checked to make sure I'm using the right username and that the information on my account is correct and I don't know what to do now. What should I do?

Hello everyone,

I have the same problem: I live in Luxembourg, but according to Spotify, I live in Belgium.

Until now, it wasn't a problem, but I now have a Spotify Family premium and when my sister (being my +1) tried to redeem her code, the computer says she has to be in the same country as I, meaning Belgium.

I've tried to change it in the payment methods part, and it switched to Luxembourg. However when I went to the account overview, it was back to Belgium.

Does anyone know how can I change it, for good?

Thanks

I have the same problem - i have a family account and i made the account in switzerland, on my phone the premium subscription works great but on my computer it doesnt at all even now that i am back in switzerland. 

I'm having the same issue

I am having the same problem. It signed me up as in Canada and I'm in the USA. Please fix this, I can't change it from the account overview page because the only option on the country drop down box is Canada.

I'm having this issue. I'm in the UK and all of a sudden when I log into my account in a browser everything is in Swedish. My account overview says I'm in Great Britain, but when I go to the contact Spotify page it says I'm in Sweden. 

@user-removed

Most of those problems come from a difference between the country shown by the IP address, and the one in your profile.

Check your IP address here

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi there,

I am am having the same frustrating problem.  I have tried both methods of changing the country from US to Australia (ie changing my 'account' details as well as changing the country in the credit card details).  I checked my IP and it correctly shows as being located in Australia.

When I try and change the country in my account settings it will not give me any other options besides the US.  

Also, we have a Premium Family account and I am trying to add my family code.  It won't let me because it thinks I am located in the US and our key account is in Australia.

I've contacted Spotify using the online form to no avail.  This is really poor service and getting really annoying.

any help would be great!

@simon72

In this case, it's better to delete your payment info and cancel your subscription altogether. You will still be Premium until the remaining days of your subscription are used up.

What I'm suggesting you to do is this:

1. Go to your Subscription and payment overview --> http://spotify.com/account/subscription/

2. Click UPDATE DETAILS. If it shows below 'Would you like to cancel your subscription?' click there and cancel.

3. Check the box to 'Remove', and click 'Change' button,

Note: If you have your Premium active you won't be able to remove your payment info. That's why it's important to cancel before clicking UPDATE DETAILS.

After you've cancelled and removed your payment info, change your country in profile, and resubscribe to Premium with the new card info to ensure that your offline music won't be deleted and that your subscription will renew correctly when it's time.

Your payment card country must match your country in profile, and the country of your IP address.

osorniosSpotify Star

Thank you for your suggestion.

My fear is that I will no Bolger be able to use my original email address again when I re-subscribe?

@simon72

You should, as long as it's current.

osorniosSpotify Star

I have problems of access to spotify (wrong region), but how do I change the region if I can not login? Help me please

@Francesco96

Have you tried changing your country setting in your profile page yet?

Make sure your IP address shows the country you're currently at. You can check it here.

osorniosSpotify Star

Hi,
yes I did, but when I scroll down the list of the countries, it doesn't
work. However my sister manages to change hers (spotify premium for
family).
Then when I connected to my Facebook page, it changed. But the code still
doesn't work.

@SO92

Most of those problems come from a difference between the country shown by the IP address, and the one in your profile.

Also, your payment method (if you're Premium) must match your country too, so it may prevent you from changing it.
If you opened your account with Facebook, your country is tied to the country shown in your Facebook account.

In this case, it's better to delete your payment info. You will still be Premium until the remaining days of your subscription are used up.

What I'm suggesting you to do is this:

1. Go to your Subscription and payment overview --> http://spotify.com/account/subscription/

2. Click UPDATE DETAILS. If it shows below 'Would you like to cancel your subscription?' click there and cancel.

3. Check the box to 'Remove', and click 'Change' button,

Note: If you have your Premium active you won't be able to remove your payment info. That's why it's important to cancel before clicking UPDATE DETAILS.

After you've cancelled and removed your payment info, change your country in profile, and resubscribe to Premium with new card info or the Family subscription invite.

Your payment card country must match your country in profile, and the country of your IP address.

osorniosSpotify Star

I got a new phone yesterday and went to log into spotify today. It comes up "you appear to be logging in from a different country" every time I go to log in, I've tried reinstalling the app and it still hasn't worked.

@lucieryan00

Have you tried changing your country setting in your profile page yet?

Make sure your IP address shows the country you're currently at. You can check it here.

osorniosSpotify Star

This happens to me too. Spotify seems to think I live in Spain (when I log in the spotify Website it shows countrycode ES for my profile. However when I go to the dialogue where to change profile settings the correct country (Germany) is displayed. I cannot listen to EUROPA content like "Die drei Fragezeichen" because of some setting remembers I'm from Spain which is wrong. -> Username barbastrella. Can you please help?

@barbastrella

First, check your IP address here.

After that, compare it to the country shown in your profile.

Also, your payment method (if you're Premium) must match your country too. If you have a spanish credit card, you need to update your payment info too.

osorniosSpotify Star

Hi and Thank you for your reply. I live in germany and this corresponds to
my ip address. I just checked the IP address. My profile indicates 'ES' for
Spain. When I upgraded to Premium and entered my german Credit card Details
the System asked me if my country should be changed to the Credit card
country. Of course i accepted as it is correct. So now there Seem to be 2
countries connected to my profile: spain (wrong) and germany (correct). I
was on Vacation in spain not long ago. Maybe that's where the confusion is
coming from. Thanks for your help, Kind regards, Stefanie Nageldiek

Suggested posts