Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify account for Day Care center

Spotify account for Day Care center

Hi, I have created a playlist for my 4-year old son, which he listens to every day.

We very much want to be able to share the music with the other kids at his day care center.

How can we set up a Spotify Unlimited account for the day care group? 

It would be great for all us Spotify-equipped parents to have a collaborative list together with the day care center, so we all can add songs.

From Spotifys point of view, it seems like it would be very beneficial. It would motivate the parents to open accounts, and it would be exposing all these youg kids to Spotify, getting them used to it.

What's the best way to go about this?

thanks in advance  /Tommy

11 Replies

At present, Spotify accounts are for personal use only.  There does seem to be some interest from others like yourself for the ability to create business accounts, however it is not currently an option.  There are a couple of threads that explain this a little better that I will link below.  One of the threads suggested that the original poster place the idea in the Spotify Ideas and Feedback category, but it does not appear to have been posted there.  If you would like Spotify to consider allowing business accounts to be set up, I would definitely post something in this area, and maybe it will be something they will consider doing in the future.  You can find the Ideas and Feedback area here:  http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas-and-Feedback/idb-p/ideaexchange

Here are links to the two threads I referenced earlier:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Accounts-Subscriptions-and-Music/Business-Accounts/m-p/16667

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Accounts-Subscriptions-and-Music/Can-I-set-up-a-family-group-subscri...

Hope this information is helpful, and good luck!

Ok, I'll do that. Let me elaborate though: there should be no problem for one of the day care teachers to open a Spotify account, right? And then use the account at work, together with the kids? Is a Facebook account required for this?

thanks  /Tommy

Spotify is meant for personal use and you are describing a situation where you are playing music to the public. You are not allowed to do that.

And a Facebook account is always required to register to Spotify.

Technically it would be possible, but with the music licensing, there would likely be legal issues doing such a thing.  A Facebook account is required to set up a Spotify account currently, yes.

All right, my option then is to head on over to iTunes and purchase the tracks instead. Thereafter I'll transfer them to a USB stick, carry it over to the day care center, and they'll plug it into their computer. That scenario of course makes no sense whatsoever, and just takes Spotify as a product completely out of the equation (even though it would easily be the best solution, regardless of how you look at it), putting the revenue and interest somewhere else.

And regarding what is "allowed" to do - what is your definition of "the public"? Are you suggesting that I hit the pause button when somebody else enters the room? Or when I have a party, may I use Spotify then? Can I use Spotify to listen to music while I'm at work? There's a lot of grey zones there...

Finally, just a quick reality check. Been to any bars, pubs, reatuarants, clubs lately...? Notice where there music is coming from, a great deal of the time?

"Finally, just a quick reality check. Been to any bars, pubs, reatuarants, clubs lately...? Notice where there music is coming from, a great deal of the time?"

Multiple businesses in Finland have received a fine for using Spotify as their background music. It's not allowed and can cost you. What you mentioned is going to get those businesses in trouble if they get caught.

I agree that purchasing the music from iTunes, and transferring the music as you say just doesn't make sense.  Spotify clearly would be desirable for the reasons you describe, and had I been in your situation, I'd feel the same.

I'm not sure the word "Public" is really the most accurate way to descibe the usage at the daycare - from a legal standpoint, that would be considered commercial.  The Spotify Terms and Conditions of Use state:

"You are granted a limited, non-exclusive, revocable license to make personal non-commercial use of the Spotify Software Application (including a right to download said application) and the Spotify Service and to receive by stream (and, where you have purchased the Premium Service or the Mobile Service, by conditional download) the media content made available through the Spotify Service in the United States. You do not have a right to transfer or sublicense your rights under this Agreement."

Source: http://www.spotify.com/legal/end-user-agreement/ (Section 3.)

In that definition, listening to music at work would not be considered commercial, so therefore would be allowed. 

Naturally, you are free to make any decision you wish in regard to using the service commercially.  Whether or not you will get caught and/or penalized for this use is not something I could possibly predict.  All I can do is give you the relevant information so you can make an informed choice.

Of course I understand that it's not allowed for bars, clubs and restaurants. And I hope you understand that the majority of those businesses would be nore than happy to purchase the service for their businesses, which they can't. I was merely describing the reality, not the regulations.

Furthermore, the scenario I described would not qualify as public as compared to the businesses I mention above. A day care center is a "closed shop", there is no random clientele, there are no business transactions being made. Again, the definitions and borders are hazy at best, so don't be too ascertained when proclaiming what is allowed and not.

Just to clarify, my last response was directed to Stpify, not jvanderby!!!!  Smiley Surprised

It's an interesting question, and I very much doubt it would be deemed commercial. Teachers and parents have been bringing CD's, tapes, etc to day care for years and years, and there would never be a legal case there. Bringing a purchased Spotify account in as an alternative should prove even less so. I hope someone actually does it though - it would be extremely entertaining if Spotify, or any publishers, record companies etc would really be dumb enough to even TRY to press charges in a scenario like that - the media would go bananas when the little day care center got busted for a 3-year old wanting to show his class the Mighty Mouse song.

You could be right, but it would depend upon who was interpreting the law in that case probably.  I'm sure you could find just as many lawyers that would argue that it was commercial as you could lawyers that would argue against it.  Considering the broadest reach of the term "commercial," the daycare would probably be included.  But in this case, the decision on whether or not to press charges would lie with Spotify. 

The news media probably would love a story like that, it would certainly cause a lot of controversy.  In reality, I find it unlikely that Spotify would decide to press charges against a daycare in the situation you described.  There is a certain amount of grey area surrounding whether or not that usage would be considered commercial.  In the end, my interpretation of the Terms and Conditions of Use is meaningless, as I am neither a Spotify employee nor a lawyer. 

If the daycare wants to use it, they are free to do so.  It might be wise to confer with a lawyer before deciding to use it, but I couldn't really say for certain that it would be beneficial to do so, other than to determine if the lawyer would be willing to defend the daycare just in case charges end up being filed.

Suggested posts