Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify are stealing money from me and I can't stop it!

Spotify are stealing money from me and I can't stop it!

For 6-months now I've been trying to cancel a Spotify account that I didn't think I'd ever setup.  I once went part way through a setup process but never followed through and have hence never ever used the service.

I have been unable to login or retrieve any user details and hence, cannot cancel thgis subscription myself.  I have had no response to help requests and have been left with no option but to get my bank to help Barclays.  They have sent a notice asking it to be stopped but to no avail and are hence now escalating legally.

This is nothing short of theft.

19 Replies

@jeffdandridge wrote:

For 6-months now I've been trying to cancel a Spotify account that I didn't think I'd ever setup.  I once went part way through a setup process but never followed through and have hence never ever used the service.

I have been unable to login or retrieve any user details and hence, cannot cancel thgis subscription myself.  I have had no response to help requests and have been left with no option but to get my bank to help Barclays.  They have sent a notice asking it to be stopped but to no avail and are hence now escalating legally.

This is nothing short of theft.

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Do you have a case number from when you got in touch that I can escalate to the Spotify community team for you? 

It is obviously not their intention to steal anyones money.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I also seem to have this problem, (well similar).

I had the free trial, and then I think meant to cancel, but didn't in time.  I then cancelled it in plenty of time for the next month.

I distinctly remember having an email from Spotify saying 'we're sorry to see you go'.  I didn't check my bank statements in a while, but the payments have continued to go through despite my cancellation.

What is the number for Uk to call and speak to someone regarding such a query? 

Hi guys,

If you haven't already, please contact our payments team here. They'll be able to look into it closer.

charlesworth271 - It does look like you had the 30 day Premium trial, yes. However, we don't send a cancellation email out, so I'm not sure where you saw that. Anyway, contact our payments team. They'll get it sorted.

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

MEE TOO

@rjahmaal If you could contact our payments team here, they'll be able to get it all sorted.

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Hi Spotify . . . Do you think you would mind cancelling my subscription . . see what you do is get me to register . . wait 30 days, then take my money as per your free terms . . then I go to cancel . . . the snake trail starts there.

There is no option for me to cancel . . you have no contact details at all on anything

It's been six months . . . cleverly, you sent me the reciept for my subscription for free trial showing $0.00

. . . then 30 days after when I forgot to cancel . . you charged me . . but hey, guess what, you didn't send me a reciept then did you??  never . . . very smart.

Please cancel my subscription, today

I'm sure you can find my details 

Hey @MarcReader ! Welcome to the community 🙂

You should just need to follow the steps on this help page to log in and cancel your own subscription:

https://support.spotify.com/learn-more/faq/#!/article/How-to-cancel-your-subscription

Any issues, or if you want to talk refunds, you need to get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form and they will be able to assist you with that. 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Spotify is disgusting. I had been trying to cancel my subscription for more than 5 MONTHS and every single time that request had gone IGNORED because I kept losing $10 every month.  I was a student running out of moeny, and Spotfiy caused an OVERDRAFT IN MY BANK ACCOUNT. Horrible, selfish, inefficient company.

@citypigeon 

Sorry to hear that.

I suggest you contact support so they can help you

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it, even if it's from a no-reply address.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

You can also tweet to @SpotifyCares on Twitter for help.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thank you, but this happened last year. After 6 months (yes I filed my first request around March '14, and after continuous efforts I only stopped getting charged in October'14) my issue was resolved. Yes I CONSTANTLY replied to my support emails, I did everything I possibly could to get them to hear me, but I never heard from them, and of course nothing was ever done for me until months and months later. Never even got an apology. 

I only posted here b/c I was reviewing my finances recently and was reminded of this travesty. I felt the need to tell that story so that its further reaffirmed that alot of people have experienced this sort of thing, and I can't express how messed up it is. You can't steal money from cusomers. It destroys our trust. I will never subscribe to Spotify again. I've had friends who expressed interest in doing so, but I had to warn them to only do it if they are 200% on board for it, because if they ever decide to cancel they can expect to lose more than $50 (yes that adds up for us recent graduates) Fortunately they listen, because yes, money doesn't grow on trees, and customers don't deserve to be treated like that. 

It seems to be the exact case with me also.Why so rich people steel needs to grab money from honestly working people?

Hey @esscho

I suggest you contact support so they can help you

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it, even if it's from a no-reply address.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Hallo MattSuda.Thank You.Ofcourse, I've already done.

@esscho

Alright, just making sure.

If you still have not gotten a reply:

Did you get a confirmation email from the contact form? It should be similar to "Spotify Support Case #XXXXXXX". If so, reply back to that email and tell them you still need help.

If you got an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it saying you still need help, even if it's from a no-reply address.

If you never got an email, look in your spam folder to see if there is an email in there. Make sure you are checking the email account you used to sign up to Spotify. You can check the email on your account here.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Thank You. It's already pertialy  solved.

I have only ever used spotify once under the free version and yet i am getting charged for the premium service i want it to stop as well but since i dont have an account im finding it impossible. there is no number for me to contact, no email address available and im tired of paying for something i never purchased. its stealing and considering that i am finding i am not the only one it is saying a lot about your company. my email address is fyrebreathing@gmail.com leave me a message on how i could even remotely cancel a subscription that isnt even there to begin with!!!!

~Jessica~

I'm on the same boat!!!!! Bunch of thieves.

Same thing here they keep charging me I have deleted my account and unsubscribed so I cant get back in to try and contact them and the number listed is busy busy they have been stealing from me for like almost a year now im fixing to call and have to get a diffrent debit card and change my account number which messed up everything im fixing to let the world know DONT SIGN UP WITH SPOTIFY THEY WILL STEAL UR MONEY!

It seems I was not the only one being taken advantage of.

When I start using Spotify it was because you can have a FREE version and still listen to latest tunes on the go without having to go Youtube all the time.

But unfortunately today I found out they have been taking payments up to £60 without my consent!!

I wouldn't mind paying for something I use, but for a service that I never requested it is unbelievable. 

Misleading customers is not a way of getting money to a business. Spotify I am really disappointed and I'll make sure everyone knows about it. 

RIP OFF.jpg

Suggested posts