Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify automatically connected FB to friend's Spotify account, now all playlists are gone

Spotify automatically connected FB to friend's Spotify account, now all playlists are gone

tl;dr - my playlists are gone and I don't see a way to restore them; opened a ticket, but there's been no response. Please fix my account and give my playlists back.

Long version:

I woke up one day to find my account magically upgraded to Premium and all my playlists changed to something I'd never seen before. After a bit of poking around I discovered that my Facebook account had connected itself to one of my friends' Spotify accounts. My friend had never had access to my computer or my account and when I inquired him if he knew anything about it, he was just as surprised as I was. He's a good friend, so there was no risk of identity/data theft.

After a bit more research I disconnected my FB account from his Spotify account, only to find that I could no longer connect to my own Spotify account as evidently I didn't remember the user name or password (btw - thanks for the incredibly handy fifteen-digit user name).

This changed pretty randomly after a day or so (I'm assuming it was a server sync issue): all of a sudden I could log into my Spotify account over the web, which gave me access to my user name (the long string of numbers), but attempts to log on to Spotify via the desktop app kept failing. I tried resetting my password, but the email never arrived (and yes, I did check my spam folder). I then opened a ticket, which hasn't been addressed thus far (it's been around a week and a half I guess). I later tried reissuing a password reset, but that didn't arrive either. I tried to disconnect my account again, but apparently the Social Network settings had disappeared from the Spotify preferences in the desktop app so I'm not even sure how that's supposed to work at this point.

Then something even weirder happened: all of a suddenly the Spotify app logged in to my Spotify account normally (without me entering any credentials), but now all my playlists are gone. It's like my account has been cleaned out, but last I checked at least one link to one of my playlists worked - so my playlists still seem to exist. I'm guessing this, too, is a server sync issue.

Anyway - at this point I don't see any way to restore my playlists and for the longest time I was at a total loss. Today I got a kind of an idea that MIGHT be the problem behind this, but again - the whole thing is just silly: namely, most of the time I'm logged in from my home, but once a week I need to work from the office, which is in the same country, but the company's network is routed through a Swedish server, which messes up my locale. I wasn't even aware that this was an issue (it is apparently - at least for Free accounts), but a telltale sign is that I can change my locale between my home country and Sweden in Spotify web settings.

That is to say, there's the dropdown box, but saving preferences simply doesn't work - I'm assuming because of Spotify's automatic geolocation.

So now I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Can you guys fix this on your end?

All fun and games aside, I have to say this situation is frankly pretty plain stupid and while I can sort of identify with the locale issues, there are so many things that simply don't make any sense here (Spotify randomly connecting my FB account to someone else's Spotify account, lol?) that the whole thing begs the question: what the hell is going on with your servers?

Anyway - please advise what I should do.

3 Replies

Hey there,

Sorry for the mixup here, but our support team can get things fixed up - they'll be in touch via email soon. To speed things along, if you reply back to the automated response you got with the following details of both accounts, that'd help:

1. Email address.

2. Date of birth.

If your account was created via Facebook (with that "username" of digits), it'll always be your Facebook details you'll need to use to login, and make sure not to be logged into someone else's Facebook account on the device you're using.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

Hey - do you mean the automated response to your response message (the one from noreply-support@spotify.com)? Otherwise I'm not sure what automated response you have in mind 🙂

As for logging in - I'm fairly sure I hadn't tried logging in from any of my friend's devices lately (although I do remember using Spotify from one of his devices several weeks before and I might have tried to log on to my own account).

PS - for some reason I didn't figure out that the numeric user name is my FB user ID - thanks for clearing that up!

Yep, that address is perfect. Ignore the fact that it's from a "no reply" account!

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

Suggested posts