Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify free users are limited to Shuffle play, really, REALLY

Solved!

Spotify free users are limited to Shuffle play, really, REALLY

Hello Spotify users and Devs,

I am a pretty avid user of Spotify, it allows me to listen to music I want without having to haul 30 crystal disc cases which have only 8 songs per album, or buying albums directly on iTunes or BandCamp because I am money leeching off of my parents, and I can't just steal money for entertainment purposes. I use your service on Desktop and Android. I am a free user. I'm sorry.

So on my commute to home, I opened Spotify on my phone, go to 'your library' and then songs. to see that my songs were somewhat grayed but I had a connection, so I decided maybe a new layout change. so I click on the song of choice, and WHAT, shuffle play blinks. So I click shuffle play, and what, selecting a song directly, or skipping more than 4 times is a PREMIUM FEATURE.

I have been using Spotify for the last year and a half and those were NOT PREMIUM FEATURES. at this point I was furious, I went googling, and what I found was more than a betrayal.  Spotify app users that are free can only shuffle play. 

Now let me explain why this was betrayal,

My songs list is ordered in a very IMPORTANT way, depending on mood, setting, time of day, and current action, I have lined up this playlist nicely. It took a long time to do, and I had to redo it many times. So the fact that I could not go to my preferred section hurt, you basically ruined a lot professional tidying that I have done. (and I am not a naturally neat person, so basically you neglected to one of my only clean things that I have).

Now I know someone is going to respond that it is in the FAQ, and yes it is in the FAQ, but WHEN DID GET ON THE FAQ, yesterday, 4 hours ago, (it did not happen this morning on my commute to class).

Now I am going to tell you my retaliation, I have a debugged based ad blocker installed on my phone now, no matter how hard you try to run an ad on my phone, it won't play. and simply skips. Meaning you lose money every time I use this app. Although is not much, will hurt in the long run.

Secondly, If you put this 'feature' on to the desktop version, I will do the same as well. Meaning losing twice as much, and I will even try to use the app more often to make it hurt a little more.

But I will cooperate if you give the feature back to the free users. I will even get premium just to call it even.

TLDR
So in the end what I ask,

Bring back free selection of music for free users,

and do not bring this change to the Desktop version.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I've been using Spotify for more than 2 years and Free users were always limited on the phone, that is the incentive for people to subscribe to Premium. However, tablets and desktop are excluded from this limitation.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

I've been using Spotify for more than 2 years and Free users were always limited on the phone, that is the incentive for people to subscribe to Premium. However, tablets and desktop are excluded from this limitation.

This limitaton is fairly new I am talking with in the last 6 months. I am not happy with this new limitaton and i do not think I will be using spotify anymore.

I’ve been a user for 10 years, and no… it most certainly was not always like that! It’s b.s. and it should be changed back!! We can’t all afford **bleep**ing premium!

Suggested posts