Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify friends activity empty/not updating

Solved!

Spotify friends activity empty/not updating

Plan

Premium

Country

Finland

Device

Pc

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

For several months (pretty much years at this point), my Spotify friends feed has not been updating, it only shows 1 friend I have, while it should have a dozen others. This has been going on for far too long for it to be a problem on my end as I have changed my devices, settings, and other things to try and fix it. I have reinstalled Spotify and my OS but nothing helps. I also see no friends through my Facebook integration even after disconnecting and reconnecting my Facebook profile multiple times. All my settings are the same as my friends and he can see his friend activity but I can't. I already posted about this problem once, and was told it would fix itself but that was months ago. This is very infuriating as it has been going for so long.

spotifyhelp.png
spotifyhelp2.png
926 Replies

Hi, for the next update you should consider changing the Friend Activity default back to public. There seems to be no value to the social feature if the default is set to private...

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

Windows 11

Operating System

Windows 11

My Question or Issue

Hello everyone from about a week my friends listening activity is stucked at what they listend to  a week  ago. I tried everything from updating the app and then uninstall and istall again but nothing have changed. Its still stucked. Does someone else have the same issue?

Screenshot 2021-12-05 100052.jpg

Hey @Tonasj,

Thanks for your reply.

If your friends have the setting toggled to on (see screenshot below) on their end, and you have followed them in your profile, then they should be appearing in your Friends' feed. Keep in mind that the enabling of this option is for them to decide and we can't influence on that 🙂

The Friends' feed itself could be hidden or made visible by going to the 3-dotted menu on your desktop app and navigating to View>Friend Activity, where you can toggle it on or off.

It's also worthwhile restarting the app twice in a row, as this triggers a refresh between the app and your account and may help to resolve any possible cache-related issues. You can pass this tip to your friends too, to see if this will change anything for them as well.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else we can help with.

Kiril Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

No, this doesnt help at all I have tried everything mentioned multiple times, nothing works.

I Got the same problem..

Having the same problem. They replied to another problem like that, saying its about the on and off feature they've added or smth along the lines, about sharing your history.  I tried turning it on and off, its still stuck like yours, exactly like it. It's honestly confusing and lowkey frustrating, so hopefully a note will be taken. A lot of people are having trouble like that asw.

I lost all my friend activity due to default settings is off to all users. I had friends on my list who are not real friends in real life. how could I reach them to say open your settings. people were only sharing music, not personal life nor phoyos. it was a huge music flow and made necessary to explore new music. how this could be  a privacy issue? people had right to close it this before, spotify should concentrate on improving friend activity not disable it. otherwise there will be no difference than apple music.!!!!!!!!

I had the same "problem", but I find out that actually spotify has added a new security policy which you can find in the settings that users have to agree to be able to share the music they listen to

I have the same and exact problem. I don´t know what to do,I´ve tried everything as well. 

I have same problem here... So basically until our friends don't agree the policy we won't be able to see their activity?

@CarlosE - Unfortunately I think many people are unaware that their setting was automatically turned to off so they wouldn't know to go into their settings to toggle it back to on...

Hey @Tonasj,

Thanks for the info.

In this case you might be experiencing this issue. It's a good idea to Subscribe to the thread so you can get notified when there are any updates on this.   

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but it's important to make sure that your app is up-to-date so you can get the latest improvements and fixes.

The Community is here for you if there's anything else!

Ver Moderator

I am having the exact same issue and have been since Tuesday as well! Now that it's been a full week, all those people who haven't been updating aren't even listed in my friend feed anymore. It makes me so sad. Seeing what my friends are listening to makes me happy throughout my monotonous work day. I sure hope Spotify considers making listening public by default again. It would be a lot more convenient and frankly a lot less weird than reaching out to each friend one by one to ask them to make their listening public again so I can see what they're up to.

When I first joined Spotify 11 years ago I did it for the social aspect. I loved sending and receiving songs to other people and especially loved the friend feed. I still appreciate the app for its function but I really miss the unique social aspect it had to offer.

I'm still not able to view my friends' activity even though they are listening on Spotify.

like it's not even updating.

send help ASAP.

Spotify Free 06-Dec-21 10_04_45 PM.png

Despite this topic being "solved"...it's just sad news to me that the "Share my listening activity" option is now set to off by default. Many of my friends have such different music tastes to me, and its been fantastic to just click on the song they are listening to to see what its all about. I've discovered SO many new artists this way that I 100% believe spotify would never be able to show me on their own. 

mine it's displaying 

but it's not getting the updates even though my friends' are currently jamming

so it's very painful

Spotify Free 06-Dec-21 10_04_45 PM.png

SEND HELP ASAP 

Hi folks,

Thank you for reaching out!

The behavior you're describing is currently expected, this is due to some changes that were made in the listening activity settings on all accounts. The default setting was set to off, this means that those who had it on before without explicitly setting it on, now have it switched off. This would explain why your feed hasn't been updated in days.

In this case, you can let your friends know of this change and ask them to turn it on in their settings if they want to share their listening activity.

image.png

Let us know if you have any questions.

MafeGModerator

Hi folks,

Thank you for reaching out!

To the ones that have posted on this thread during the last week, what you're describing is a different situation to the one that was originally reported on the thread. 

This is due to some changes that were made in the listening activity settings on all accounts. The default setting was set to off, this means that those who had it on before without explicitly setting it on, now have it switched off. This would explain why your feed hasn't been updated in days.

In this case, you can let your friends know of this change and ask them to turn it on in their settings if they want to share their listening activity.

image.png

Let us know if you have any questions.

MafeGModerator

ME TOO

i don't think it's the fact that spotify changed the settings to private because i just asked my friend to check and it still says that she is sharing her activity..... so why can't i see her activity???? my friend activity is only updating for three random people, and the rest have all disappeared because i've had this issue for over a week. please fix this asap i'm stressed!!! i love seeing what my friends are listening to 😞

Suggested posts