Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify friends activity empty/not updating

Solved!

Spotify friends activity empty/not updating

Plan

Premium

Country

Finland

Device

Pc

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

For several months (pretty much years at this point), my Spotify friends feed has not been updating, it only shows 1 friend I have, while it should have a dozen others. This has been going on for far too long for it to be a problem on my end as I have changed my devices, settings, and other things to try and fix it. I have reinstalled Spotify and my OS but nothing helps. I also see no friends through my Facebook integration even after disconnecting and reconnecting my Facebook profile multiple times. All my settings are the same as my friends and he can see his friend activity but I can't. I already posted about this problem once, and was told it would fix itself but that was months ago. This is very infuriating as it has been going for so long.

spotifyhelp.png
spotifyhelp2.png
926 Replies

Hey there,

Thanks for posting your experiences and feedback related to the Friends Activity Feed.

We'd like to update everyone that based on your feedback a pop-up message similar to the one attached has been sent to users on the desktop app who had the setting toggled on in the past.

Dian_2-1651242174418.png

This should provide better information to anyone who would like to opt in and share their listening activity.

Hope this makes the matter more clear.

We'll be keeping an eye on your continued feedback.

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Thank you very much, this is much appreciated and was just the kind of think I was hoping for.

That's terrible fix.

Will 'Friends Activity' panel always be visible? Use that space to show a message - it's the only purpose of that right hand panel. 

Well said @jrham

I'm having an issue with my settings in that I can access the settings page, but it won't let me scroll down so I can't fiddle with the settings below "normalize volume" on a MacBook Pro. I'm also unable to scroll down if I'm viewing a playlist. I have tried restarting Spotify, but that hasn't resolved the issue. 

I have an example of someone I follow who shares their activity, but they do not appear on my Friends Activity feed (we are not Facebook friends, but that was never an issue months ago). I can see what they share by viewing their profile but they're not in my desktop app. I've since disconnected my account from FB but it hasn't changed anything. 

i still cannot believe you have done this… 

i don’t know why but my anxiety has been through the roof since i found out about this. spotify you’re actually messing with my health… maybe that’s a bit of an exaggeration to you but you have no idea how much i enjoyed seeing what people were listening to. 

not once did i think it was an “invasion of privacy”… music is music. people have different tastes. you find new music by seeing what others are listening to. 

taking away the one thing that made my life better, made my day go faster and a little bit easier, you’ve taken that away from me.

and for what reason exactly? because you want to respect and protect peoples “privacy“ “safety”…

well if that was the case - why did you have this default “on”  for over a decade?

an update like this should’ve been taken care of over the first few months/A YEAR AFTER the platform has launched … not a whole decade later ….

tell me i’m wrong please … 

Plan

Student

Country

Spain

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

My Friend Activity Feed has a kind of problem or limit, so I can only see the activity of 5 of my friends. If I add a new friend, they won't be appearing there. I've had this problem for some months and I've tried to log in and log out or reinstall the app several times and it hasn't changed. I've spoken to the friends I can't see and they say that they have turned on the option for sharing their activity, so it isn't a problem about that.

I don't know what to do and it's actually annoying, as I consider this feature so interesting for interacting with my friends. Thanks 

Click the 3 dots in upper left hand corner.  Go to view and uncheck Friend Activity.  You will not see activity panel after.

Thanks for your response, although I've tried all of these things already and so have my friends and it's still not showing. I know my friends have everything turned on and so do I but it's still stuck on saying I have to turn on my listening activity while it's turned on so it must be a bug or something, also have I tried reinstalling and relogging which also did nothing.

Hi @pabloarep22!

You can try the following:

1. Go to a friend's profile who you know has turned on their Share my listening activity on Spotify and unfollow them.
  2. Set the app to Offline Mode by clicking the three dots in the upper left corner > File > Offline Mode and restart the app.
  3. Now turn off Offline Mode and restart the app once again.
  4. Go back to your friend's profile and follow them, then reboot your PC.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey there @Goatic,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop here.

Could you give us more info on your Spotify version and what troubleshooting steps you've done so far? This is useful info for us, so we don't make you repeat stuff you've already gone through. Nevertheless, it could be worthwhile restarting your desktop app twice in a row. This may sound odd but it's how the app does a refresh. Logging out and then to logging back in the app twice in a row triggers a refresh between the app and your account and may help to resolve any possible cache-related issues. See if this will shake things up and make your Friends Activity perform as expected.

If the above doesn't help, then could you please ask a friend or relative with another Spotify account, to log in on your desktop app, to see if they will have the same experience for the Friends Activity as you or it will behave as expected for their account. We're asking you to do this to rule out the possibility of this being an account-related issue for your profile specifically.

Let us know how things work out, we'll be keeping an eye out for your reply.

Kiril Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have essentially the same issue. I'm using Windows 10, and I have two separate desktops (work and home) that I've tried this on that have the same issue. My friend feed only shows 2 that I am following, and I have confirmed with 5 of my spotify friends that aren't showing up that their settings are correct (enabled) and they have restarted/reinstalled twice as well as I have. Of those 5, none of us can see each other. The 2 that do work, we can both see each other both ways. I do not use Facebook. The friends are all mixed users of Facebook and non-Facebook. The two that do work, one uses FB and one does not. The other 5 are all mixed as well.

Even if you have manually turned friend activity on after the update, and your friends have too. It still doesn't work.

My friends turned it on manually after the update, they all have it on, yet I can only see two people still. Yes everything is up to date, I have tried everything. Please fix this issue 😞

I just noticed friend had these options on but I still can't see what she's listening. This is definitely not working! 

Why this is such a problem for Spotify? 

Hey there @Rinn03

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Would you mind letting us know if you've already tried the steps @Kiril sent previously? If you haven't, we suggest that you give them a go to see if those make the difference. 

Keep us posted on how it goes.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi there,

This solution did not work. 

My 'Share my listening activity with friends' is on and always has been. Although, I cannot see my friends' activity.  It just says on the side the instructions of how to turn it on (however, it is already on). 

I've tried deleting and re-installing the app on my 2021 Macbook Pro and turning off and on multiple times. I've logged into Facebook countless times too. 

Any help is much appreciated.

Hey @ajslade123!

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community. 

Just to confirm, do your friends have the option "Share my listening activity on Spotify" toggled on? 

You and they can check this in the app by heading to Settings > Social > Share my listening activity on Spotify. 

Keep in mind that if you/they don't have this option enabled, the activity won't be displayed for each other. 

Lastly, we suggest checking the app permissions to prevent any conflicts. You can check this link (from your Spotify account) and this other link to make sure Spotify has permissions enabled on your Facebook account (your friends should check this too). 

We'll be here in case you need anything else.

Cheers!

AndresMModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

NO solution!  Checked these settings and nothing helped friend activity.

Suggested posts