Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify friends activity empty/not updating

Solved!

Spotify friends activity empty/not updating

Plan

Premium

Country

Finland

Device

Pc

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

For several months (pretty much years at this point), my Spotify friends feed has not been updating, it only shows 1 friend I have, while it should have a dozen others. This has been going on for far too long for it to be a problem on my end as I have changed my devices, settings, and other things to try and fix it. I have reinstalled Spotify and my OS but nothing helps. I also see no friends through my Facebook integration even after disconnecting and reconnecting my Facebook profile multiple times. All my settings are the same as my friends and he can see his friend activity but I can't. I already posted about this problem once, and was told it would fix itself but that was months ago. This is very infuriating as it has been going for so long.

spotifyhelp.png
spotifyhelp2.png
922 Replies

Hi there,

First of all my spotify version is: Spotify for Windows 1.1.84.716.gc5f8b819

I've tried reinstalling the app multiple times, run troubleshooter on windows, re-adding my friends, I've let a friend log onto my account which had the same outcome unfortunately and i've logged in and out twice, like Kiril said. Nothing really has changed other than the fact that my friends tab is now completely stuck on the following picture i've attached.

It's really weird why it says I have 0 friends on FB because I have many, which doesn't matter of course haha, but the friends I share activity with are not showing up anymore even though I also follow my friend on Spotify.

Hope this info helps.

Desktop Screenshot 2022.05.05 - 15.10.36.15 (2).png

I have tried the steps mentioned by Kirli, and they did not work.

But why was it manually turned off in the first place? All I see on the side bar is connect to facebook to see what friends are listening to and its a bummer. 

why are the moderators refusing to answer the old questions of

if privacy was such a concern (which tbf it wasn’t really.. people knew about private listening /not sharing) - WHY did it take OVER A DECADE to come finally put in place? WHY did we have to get used to a brilliant feature just for it to be more or less taken away?

(WE HAVE ALL BEEN HAVING ISSUES WITH IT SINCE DECEMBER) 

Hello Yordan, 

I tried your solution and it doesn't seem to work.

My friends list still doesn't work.  Tried turning it on and off, still shows there's no friends.  Yet when i go look at my profile, i see my followers on spotify and can follow others, but they don't show up.  What's going on with it?  On Windows 11 and Android AND IOS.

Sorry but it did not work. Can I try another thing?

Man, I've been looking for a solution to this problem for months and whereever I look spotify dudes are posting the same thing. Yes mates we know that the default setting has changed. That's not the issue. We're saying that friend activity is not updating. Like my friends are listening to the same things for 2 hours now. I'm following 20 friends and see only 3 in my "friends activity" and I confirmed that at least half of them turned on "Show my listening activity on Spotify". 

If you answer again that "the default setting of listening activity changed" I will like every Taylor Swift post on instagram.

Hey folks!

Thanks for your replies in this thread 🙂

So in this case, you have to take the following into account:

1. Make sure you're following users in the app, not just artists.
  2. The users you follow must have enabled permissions to share their listening activity under settings from their own accounts.
  3. The users you follow must have listened to a track for at least 30 secs within the last week.
  4. You have enabled permissions to share your listening activity under settings.

Keep in mind that Friend Activity might not update in real time. We've investigated this and we can confirm that everything is working correctly. If your friend still isn't showing up in your Friend Feed, we suggest you to check these steps.

Keep us in the loop and don't hesitate to get back to us if you have any other questions.

Take care!

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I am sure that my friends have enabled that permission and that they also use Spotify constantly, so I do not think the problem is something about that. It's just that my friends do not appear on my list and it must be a problem of the application. It is really annoying that this function does not work and any of the steps you are telling me to try is changing anything. 

Plan

Premium

Country

Netherlands

Device

Lenovo 7 Yoga Laptop

Operating System

Windows 11

My Question or Issue

I have all the required options enabled to look at my friends listening feed, and so do they, but I still can't see what they are listening to. I have tried everything, but it just doesn't want to work with me.

Schermafbeelding 2022-05-09 104223.png

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the info you've sent so far. 

We'd like to investigate this further. To do so, we'd need some examples of those who report Friend Feed is not currently working for them. If this is your case, would you mind sending us yours and your friends' usernames (the ones you're sure that already activated the option to share their listening activity and you can't see it) in this thread? We'll make sure to delete that info once we've gathered it. Or if you prefer, you can send it via DM directly to @Julian.

Thanks!

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Julian I have examples that I will DM you

Folks, we need explicit written permission from both users to check this out. So you, and your friend, can either post your usernames here saying you are ok with us checking, or DM them to @Julian

This is for those who are saying they are following someone who has turned on sharing in their settings and is actively listening but they do not show up in your feed.

This fuction has also not worked for me for months. "Share my listening activity on Spotify" is ON.

Screenshot 2022-05-16 121812.png

My feed is not showing ANY users whatsoever, and I had about 6 or 7 people that I used to be able to see.  My username is metsfan421

I have the same issue. my username is mo7ammedsalman

See my earlier post folks:

• We need your username, and the username of someone you are following.
  • Both of you have your sharing turned on, and are actively listening.
  • And you don't see each other's listening in the Friend Feed. 
  • We need explicit written permission from both of you.
  • So you and the other person need to either DM @Julian or post your usernames here.
  • We can't test this with one person's username and permission.  

Once we have this we can do some checking. Thanks all.

Loneliest_Cabin and Julian,

I don't think Private Message is working here either. So posting username here - 31j6j5nzeas6itxzfx6kakrrxmni

This issue is happening from many months and couldn't find any solution

iammajidzz_0-1652844462652.png

I have the same issue like many others.

iammajidzz_1-1652844509099.png

And yes it is enabled as mentioned everywhere

iammajidzz_2-1652844546390.png

iammajidzz_3-1652844561486.png

Plan

Premium

Country

Turkey

Device

(PC)

Operating System

(Windows 11)

My Question or Issue

I follow many people on Spotify but I can only see 2 or 3 of them in Friend Activity. I tried reinstalling but did not help. Experiencing this problem for months.

Suggested posts