Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify friends activity empty/not updating

Solved!

Spotify friends activity empty/not updating

Plan

Premium

Country

Finland

Device

Pc

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

For several months (pretty much years at this point), my Spotify friends feed has not been updating, it only shows 1 friend I have, while it should have a dozen others. This has been going on for far too long for it to be a problem on my end as I have changed my devices, settings, and other things to try and fix it. I have reinstalled Spotify and my OS but nothing helps. I also see no friends through my Facebook integration even after disconnecting and reconnecting my Facebook profile multiple times. All my settings are the same as my friends and he can see his friend activity but I can't. I already posted about this problem once, and was told it would fix itself but that was months ago. This is very infuriating as it has been going for so long.

spotifyhelp.png
spotifyhelp2.png
922 Replies

Over a year with the problem. Nothing works, no updates, amazing

Plan

Free

Country

Philippines

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

friend activity isnt showing, I dont know why or how but I think i accidentally pressed the X thing. Ive already tried installing the new version, enabling and disabling "See what your friends are playing" and nothing has worked

Seriously?! Two years,  and this **bleep** is still happening? This was my favorite part of Spotify, but why even stick with them anymore? The discover weekly and release radar algorithms routinely give me trash, and I don't even get to see what friends are listening to in order to find new music. Freshly installed windows on a new computer and fully updated it. Updated my Spotify to the newest version as well and relinked my facebook account. The weird thing is that I had the friend list there before relinking facebook, but it wouldn't update what my friends were listening to, and after linking, the panel for friends entirely disappeared even though I have my sharing turned on as well as viewing friend activity. Please fix this!!!!!!

Screenshot 2022-12-05 012709.png

Hey, i would like to add that, yes, i only have friends left in my Spotify since, like two years, and i cannot add anyone.  

I don't know why we can't just have a spotify username, and add our friends. Why it's only bind to facebook and not new social medias, not even Instagram... We are more than ever in the social medias era.  

This feature is the same since 2011. It hasn't improved much since then and spotify is asking itself why the stock is going down... 

I have the same problem and have for months.  I'm finally following it up.
I've checked Facebook settings on FB, on Spotify account, and in the Spotify settings.

Everything is checked on, but it won't show anyone, ever.

I've tried logging in and out, closing and opening the app, rebooting PC, reinstalling the app, etc.

It's really frustrating and I'd love to know how to fix it.
It really sucks.

Hi. This thread was marked as solved, which is inaccurate. Obviously it is still a huge problem that affects many many users and for a long time now. Please follow up on the matter properly. Thanks.

Hi KIRIL. This thread was marked as solved, which is inaccurate. Obviously it is still a huge problem that affects many many users and for a long time now. Please follow up on the matter properly. Thanks.

@ooleebs1 and I have been trying to get help and find a solution for more than 2 months with no response. When is the Spotify team going to look into our issues? This has been the same for over 2 years, 2 years which I have been actively trying to find a solution. This really is the reason why I got Spotify, to see friend activity and for people to see mine 😕

I hope someone can help fix these long-running issues. 

I have connected my Spotify with Facebook and used to see the activity of all of the people I follow. But lately, I can only see four of them, the same 4 people constantly. I don't see my other friends and we would like to see what the others are listening to. They have the same issue.

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Macbook Pro 2021

Operating System

IOS

My Question or Issue

I haven't been able to see 90% of my friends listening activity for over a year now, i've checked and their status is on and other people can see them too. It's just my device. i've tried reaching out so many times but i got nothing. Please fix this it's driving me insane.

for more context i can see like 4 people and then the 16 other people i can't see even though i know their listening status is on

I remember in last year, i still can see my friend's status. But one day, my friend activity not working, even i restart my mac, reinstall the Spotify, re-enable the friend activity function & re-connect the facebook. My MacOS & Spotify is always keep update to latest version. And this issue not only happened in my Mac, also, web Spotify, windows desktop are same situation.
My right side of Spotify only shows "Let friends and followers on Spotify see what you're listening to." and told me to go the settings to enable the "Share my listening activity on Spotify". But i already done it all. And when i click the "add friend" button, it still working and showing my facebook friend list who using Spotify. It can't show my friend's activity.

I started a new thread about this problem, since discovering that this one has been marked "solved" 🙄 obviously no one has replied to what was written in the new thread yet. maybe if we posted there, it could help something? 

here is the link - https://community.spotify.com/t5/Accounts/A-2-year-old-problem-Spotify-Account-not-linked-to-Faceboo...

Yay now I can join the list of people whose problem will never be fixed. I've reset and enabled everything and it still refuses to cooperate.

Marked as solution

We have seen the reports of people saying Friend Feed is not working for them, and we are happy to investigate specific cases, because as far as we are aware, there are no issues with Friend Feed working.

Firstly, it’s important to restate that ALL users had “Share my listening activity on Spotify” turned off as default - so users you followed and saw in your Friend Feed in the past, will no longer show in your Friend Feed, UNLESS they turned “Share my listening activity on Spotify” back on. 

Also worth noting that you don’t need Facebook set up for Friend Feed to work.

Having said that, all of the below must be true for users to show in your Friend Feed:

• You must be following the friend whose activity you want to see.
  • The friend must have enabled the setting to publish their activity:
    • Share my listening activity on Spotify - toggled on.
  • The friend must have played more than 30 seconds of a track on iOS, Android or Desktop in the last 7 days.
  • This can’t be in a Private Session.
  • Also you should both have restarted the App at some point recently.

If all of this is true for you and your friend and they don’t show up in your Friend Feed, then:

• We need you, and the friend you are following, to post here saying you give us permission to check your accounts.
  • We need explicit written permission from both of you.
  • We can't test this with one person's username and permission.  
  • It’s enough to post here, we can find your username based on your Community profile. 

Once we have this we can do some checking. Thanks all.

Could you provide an update on some of the users who have already done this?

Someone submitted permission for two accounts to be checked in August, the conversation ended and I didn't see any resolution although they did note that their settings which were on for sharing appeared to not carry across to other devices, though it wasn't confirmed if this was what was causing their problem in this case. If it was - is this bug now resolved? If its not, it's important that your instructions should specify they need to open Spotify on EVERY device they listen on and change the setting there. At the time they were also advised that if it was already on, they needed to turn it off and on again, this seems like it should also be in your instructions if it's not enough to just check that the setting is on.

Another member also gave permission for their two accounts to be checked in October, as far as I can see there was no response at all to this.

Just trying to figure out what's going on, as a lot of people are complaining of the issue still and have stated they've checked all the things you've listed. I know people make mistakes, but I'm wondering if this is all down to the settings not carrying across to other devices bug, in which case it's vital that this is resolved soon, or at least that players are advised about the need to check the settings on every device.

Is it a private reply here? Should I post our username here?

Hey, @kpwxx - toggling sharing on on each device is not required to make Friend Feed work. The user themself said it wasn't changed on their mobile, so they decided to toggle it on. We asked them to toggle the setting on/off as this creates a record for us to check it is behaving as expected. It is not necessary to do this yourself. We could see no issues with their accounts, and in fact the users never came back to confirm anything had changed. Generally this means the issue is resolved, but we have not heard back from them. As a basic test, we followed both users and they showed up in our Friend Feed. 

@user-removed you do not need to post your username, we can get it from your community profile. We just need permission from you, and another user you are following, to check your accounts if you have read my post and all those statements are true and you still think Friend Feed is not working. 

In terms of the user in October, I also followed them, and as you can see they show up in my Friend Feed Friend Feed.png

Thanks for the further info.

So to clarify, as long as as user has the sharing setting turned on on at least one device it shouldn't matter what the settings show on other devices, their listening activity should be shared regardless?

Would be interesting to hear from @lkllnd93 and @jansolo as to whether their issue is resolved since the last reply in that conversation was from their side and they didn't mention it being resolved, but as you say they could have not chased it up further because it did start working for some reason. Though, if it suddenly started working *after* turning the settings on in mobile, this would suggest a reasonable chance that was the thing that fixed it, wouldn't it?

Also would be interesting to hear from @añgié whether the issue persists on their end. Clearly, from your post, their sharing settings are on, which is good - so it isn't a settings-not-turned-on issue if they're still not seeing their activity from the account they're friends with.

After hundreds of posts I'm kind of invested in this issue so just curious for the most part!

Suggested posts