Spotify has been paused because your account is being used somewhere else

Solved!

Spotify has been paused because your account is being used somewhere else

blush-113
Casual Listener

I have seen numerous threads about this issue I am having, but I haven't found a solution that works for me.

I'm a spotify premium member and periodically I encounter the message "Spotify has been paused because your account has been used somewhere else." If I re-start the song in the desktop app on my computer, it will play for a bit (10 seconds to a minute) before it pauses again with the same message. The timing of the pauses seems suspiciously like there is "somebody" somewhere else using my account, as I can play this back and forth game of re-start / pause endlessly. The popular suggested solution on the discussion boards is to change your password, "log out everywhere," and log back in with your new password. This works, BUT, only for a week or two and then the exact problem re-occurs.

I have chnaged my password three times now in the past month and continue to encountered this problem on both my home and work pc. I'm beginning to question the security of my premium account information with Spotify? Is it possible that Spotify is leaking, or has had it user account information hacked? Has anyone else encountered this?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution!

Re: Spotify has been paused because your account is being used somewhere else

Jordi
Community Legend

All of these devices do support Spotify Connect. The Web Player doesn't support Spotify Connect so it is worth checking if you aren't accidently using the Web Player in a hidden tab.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

View solution in original post

Solution!

CharleyB
Casual Listener
I finally figured it out, has to do with Sonos and it's ridiculous. For some reason when you use your Spotify account through the sonos app on a particular wifi, it's locked into it until you or someone logs out. So even if you're not there and your friend uses their sonos app but your account is on there, that's the Spotify account that gets used. Can't be taken off by anyone else but someone on the wifi.

Solution!

jonnaisaac
Casual Listener

I was having this problem, and it was indeed Sonos. I had logged in to a Sonos system at a family member's house 3 hours away, so the solution to log off on Sonos while on that wifi was not an option.

After some digging, I was able to revoke access to Sonos by logging into Spotify > Account > Apps  and click "Revoke Access" next to Sonos. Problem solved!

38 Replies

MattSuda
Community Legend

Hey @blush-113

If you are concerned about the security of your account,

I suggest you contact support so they can help you. You can copy and paste your post here so that you do not have to retype it.

https://support.spotify.com/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it, even if it's from a no-reply address.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

jolugo123
Regular

Hi,

Im having the same issue as well.  I just changed my password and logged out of everything and the problem continues.

Im pretty sure my account is not compromised as I always use unique complex passwords for all my services.

This is very annoying, why cant they pause the "other" device and let my phone play!!

Jordi
Community Legend

Hi there,

Could you try to reinstall Spotify on all devices you own? Please note that you will see this message when playing music on a Spotify device that doesn't support Spotify Connect. 

Last.fm | Twitter

jolugo123
Regular

I could I guess, but they are not with me right now.  

What would be an example of such unsoported device?

I have two Win 10 PCs,one Mac, 2 iPads, iphone and android.  Amazon echo is also linked.

Highlighted
Solution!

Jordi
Community Legend

All of these devices do support Spotify Connect. The Web Player doesn't support Spotify Connect so it is worth checking if you aren't accidently using the Web Player in a hidden tab.

Last.fm | Twitter

jolugo123
Regular

Thats good to know, but Im 100% sure Im not using it on any of my machines.  BTW I really apreciate that you are trying to help me.

blush-113
Casual Listener

Okay Jordi,

I have uninstalled Spotify on all my devices (home pc, work pc and mobile phone)

Logged in to my account on Spotify and changed my password.

Signed out everywhere

Reinstalled Spotify on my devices.

I will keep you posted on what happens. Typically its 1 to 3 days before I see the "Spotify has been paused...." message again. I'll keep you posted as to what happens.

PS, I never listen to spotify via the web. I always use the downloaded app.

Thanks for helping troubleshoot the issue.

Blair

ndallen
Casual Listener

Hey, I've been having this same issue for some time and have taken all the steps you have - very frustrating. Did you ever get it resolved?

peeeter

This solution didn't work for me. I have all the same symptoms as the others. It may also be worth noting that I have a shared account with my wife, but we have different logins. Does this have anything to do with it?

SUGGESTED POSTS