Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify in Luxembourg ?

Spotify in Luxembourg ?

Hi, 

I'm actually living in Paris but I'll be moving to Luxembourg in July and I wanted to know if I'm ablo to have access to Spotify Premium or Unlimited in Luxembourg.

Thanks for you answers an have a nice day.

45 Replies

Hi,

As much as we'd love Spotify to be everywhere, we're not there just yet.

However, if you were to upgrade your account with a French payment card and continue the subscription while you're there, you'd be able to continue using your Spotify. As long as you use the same French card.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Hi there,

I was also wondering if Spotify will be available in Luxembourg one day? I mean, you've got Belgium and the Netherlands. Why hasn't there been a deal made with the 3 Benelux countries? 

You probably can't tell if and when it will be available. Let me just note that Deezer is available in Luxembourg. So it can't be an issue with right holders not wanting streaming services available in Luxembourg.

@sam

Does this mean that, as long as i pay with a credicard issued outside Luxembourg, I am still able to use Spotify within Luxembourg? Online and Offline music etc.

If the country in your account is set to one of our launch countries (France, Germany, The Netherlands etc.), your payment card matches this country and you pay for one of our subscriptions, you'd be able to use Spotify in Luxembourg.

Long sentence there, sorry about that.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

...my friend lives in Luxembourg. He has a credit card registered in a 'Spotify country'. Will he be able to make Spotify work (with Sonos) in Luxembourg? Or will his Luxembourg IP address spoil it...?

/Kos

He will be able to subscribe but to use Spotify with the Sonos in Luxembourg, he will need to subscribe to the Premium membership (9,99€/month) as it allows for unlimited streaming to a foreign (foreing in terms of non-Spotify) country. 

My brother is in this very situation. He lives in Luxembourg, has a "Spotify Country" credit-card and listens to Spotify on his Sonos.

Okay, he'll try. However, I am not optimistic. For months I tried to install Spotify in Denmark BEFORE Denmark was a Spotify country and my IP address made it impossible, foreign credit card or not...First message was always something like 'Sorry, you can't use Spotify in your country yet - subscribe to have an email sent to you as soon as the services includes your country'.

Thanks!

/Kos

Ahhh yes. That's because you need to access Spotify from a "Spotify country" IP to subscribe. Once you have subscribed to the service using a Premium Membership, you will be able to access Spotify from a non-Spotify country IP adress.

My brother for instance used to live in a Spotify country (therefore he has a Spotify country credit card) back when he subscribed. Now he lives in Luxembourg and can use the service on a unlimited basis because he has the Premium Membership.

Okay! My friend travels a lot - and living in Luxembourg it's hard NOT to access a Spotify country if you move a few kilometers! So he should activate Spotify with Sonos next time his computer 'hits' Germany - for instance - and pay with his Danish credit card. Then it should work when he returns to Luxembourg?

(BTW: I have Spotify within Sonos in Denmark - VERY nice...)

/Kos

That's true about it being hard NOT to hit a Spotify country once you leave Luxembourg 🙂

However, I don't know if he'll be able to use a Danish credit card while logged in on a german IP. Not sure wether they compare the IP against the country of origin of the creditcard. Maybe a Spotify representative could answer that question. Anyway, your friend can still try next time he crosses borders. 

His is in Denmark often too.... We'll try!

/Kos

Hi,

Another person in Lux here and its so annoying not to be able to use the service, really not sure why its not, dont spotify have there main headquarters in Lux?

cheers

Steve

@Steve:

According to this site http://www.eu-startups.com/2011/04/spotify-restricts-its-free-playback-service/, yes. Spotify seams to be based in Luxembourg. And that's what makes me really angry. Our Government is always proud to present us new large IT companies having their new and shiny HQ's in Luxembourg (most recently NetFlix Europe) but they don't offer their service to luxemburgish people. That's a shame. Besides, I don't get why Spotify didn't make a Benelux deal instead of just Belgium and the Netherlands.

@rizman

Would be nice just to get a proper reason why its not available, i wonder where abouts they are in Lux?

Probably not enough people interested in the service to justify the costs. Don't know.

As for where they are, I have no clue. Except the link I gave earlier I haven't found any indication about their whereabouts in Luxembourg. We'd need to check the "Registre du commerce" or something like that. Probably their official name is something completely different to "Spotify" to be able tho hid themselves 🙂

Few Month later, we're asking the same question again!?

What about Spotify in Luxembourg? I think there will be a lot of people using Spotify in Luxembourg. 

Right now I'm living in Germany, so there is  no problem for me right now, but I'm going back to Lux in 2013 and I need Spotify 🙂

Other Solution will be the same as for a lot of other Apps: combine it with Belgium...

Yeah, still no Spotify in sight. For the time being, I'm using Deezer. It's available in Luxembourg without going through a proxy for signup and all the other hoops you have to use to fool Spotify into thinking you're actually living in another country.

I can't say anything about their respective catalogues. But I usually can find anything I need on Deezer. Sadly, they don't offer anything like the Spotify Apps.

@Spotify: I'd gladly change to spotify once you're offer is available in Luxembourg.

However, I doubt it will ever be considering they didn't bother to do a Benelux deal and just want for the belgian and dutch market 😞 Again, I hate our Governement for that. They attract large IT companies with our low taxes but won't bother to ask them kindly to offer their service in Luxembourg.

My iPad is registered in Luxembourg because I wanted to use my Luxembourg cyber credit card (this is Apple/itunes issue).  I now live in France and I absolutely CANT get Spotify on the iPad, though I have it on my PC Through my French IP address. I find this absolutely ridiculous.  Because of my registration, the Luxembourg iTunes App store wont let me get the Spotify App and naturally I cant access an App store in another country. I dont think I can even manage it with a VPN connection as Apple seems to be very good at discovering the country of the credit card. So what I want to say is that accessing Spotify from Luxembourg is ALSO a problem created by Apple/iTunes, not just of the Spotify company only.

PS I lived for over 30 years in Luxembourg and still have ties there! therefore I also hope Spotify will hurry up and come to some arrangement with the iTunes App store In Luxembourg! Or else they should find a way of by-passing the App store.

Breaking news:

Spotify has finally arrived in Luxembourg 🙂

Suggested posts