Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify just deleted over 40k of my followers

Spotify just deleted over 40k of my followers

I woke up this morning to check my Spotify and find that over 40k followers had suddenly disappeared.  I'll attach a screenshot so you can see what I mean, for some reason the link to my artist page is still showing 40k followers, but the follower count on the artist page is 90. 

Screen Shot 0030-02-22 at 7.36.47 AM.png
23 Replies

Hi @dishes, and welcome to the Spotify Community.

Sorry to hear about your problem, so let's see if we can resolve it for you here. On my end, it also shows the same time. Sorry to trouble you, but you could you screenshot the follower count on the artist page?

Thank you

Screenshot_171.png

Ready to help you get back to distraction-free listening

If you look in the screenshot I posted in the original post there is a discrepancy between the number of followers under 'Followers' on my artist profile, and the number of followers shown underneath artist icon under 'Recently Played'

Just out of curiosity, why are you following 5.6 million people?

Is it wrong to have a wide range of interests? I feel like that's not relevant to the issue at all.

Hi @dishes, thank you for pointing it out, terribly sorry for missing it.

Does it appear that way on your other devices as well or does this just happen on your computer?

Ready to help you get back to distraction-free listening

It appears that way on three different computers.

Hi @dishes,

From what I can see, Spotify didn't actually "delete" over 40k followers, it just isn't displaying correctly for you, since I also see over 41k people following you. Maybe try contacting Spotify to see why it's displaying that way for you?

@dishes wrote:
Is it wrong to have a wide range of interests? I feel like that's not relevant to the issue at all.

Each to their own, of course. But it's not just artists you're following but also random individuals you don't know. I know this because I'm one of those individuals.

If I were to guess I'd say you were following people in the hope they'd follow you back in an effort to boost your artist page. Although, if you're trying to build your fanbase, you could at least add a bio to your About page.

So over the last day, my follower count has gone from 90 to 490, which is typically the number of followers I get in a day, the count underneath the artist link under 'recently played' has actually gone down. This makes me believe that this is what's actually being displayed incorrectly and I truly have lost 41k followers.
Screen Shot 0030-02-23 at 6.13.04 AM.png

Hi all,

Thanks for posting in the Community! I asked the folks at Spotify to check exactly what has happened here! 

The followers for your artist profile are shown correctly here

here.

On the other hand, your personal account has at this moment 520 followers.

Currently, your Artist profile and your verified account are two different figures. I hope this clears things up. If this view is new to you, let me know and I can pass that info onto Spotify.

If you have any further questions or issues don't hesitate to drop a response back on the thread! 🙂

Have a lovely weekend!

So here's the thing that doesn't make sense about that, when I log into Spotify, and click on the top right hand corner where it shows my name, it brings me to my verified artist page. Obviously my followers are being counted differently, but why then does clicking on my name bring me to my verified artist page which shows only 520 followers, and has a discography link just like a verified artist account would? My guess on what's really happening is that there are multiple sql tables associated with the artist account and the way they are displaying is incorrect, but that's just a hypothesis.

Hiya!

I'm going to escalate this with Spotify and get a response on some future details for you.

I'll be back in touch via this thread with further updates! 🙂

Okay thank you! I'll be on the lookout for updates.

I've spoken with the teams again and confirm this is the normal behaviour:

The verified account is a personal Spotify account that you as a artist can use to create and manage playlists, and other features, that show on their Artist profile. Yet, Artist profiles don't have a log in, and can't be used to listen to music.

You can see a example on a another artist here Zedd's verified account versus his Artist profile.

Any further queries don't hesitate to let me know!

I don't understand how this is normal behavior, up until the day before I posted this, I was able to see the same number of followers in both places, so the accounts very much seemed like the same account. So there was a VERY recent change which separated the followers and essentially reset the number of followers on my account.

The other issue I have with accepting this as a solution, is as you can see while people are trying to follow my artist account the number of followers on my artist account are actively dropping, while the number of followers on what you call my 'personal profile' are increasing rapidly.  This seems far from what should be expected behavior.

Maybe you aren't understanding what I'm saying.

So I will illustrate what I'm seeing with multiple screenshots:

1: So I click on my profile link1: So I click on my profile link2: which brings me to this ARTIST page, notice the number of followers. And then I click 'View Discography'2: which brings me to this ARTIST page, notice the number of followers. And then I click 'View Discography'3: which brings me to this page, where I click about (it really seems like these are the same profiles)3: which brings me to this page, where I click about (it really seems like these are the same profiles)And now, magically there is a different number of followersAnd now, magically there is a different number of followers

Screen Shot 0030-02-23 at 6.12.50 AM.png

I'd like this investigated in more detail backstage with Spotify's Artist Support.

If you drop you information in this Contact form they'll be in touch. I'd also drop in the link to this thread so they can see the images above.

https://artists.spotify.com/contact

They'll be able to investigate this further for you, let me know how it goes! 🙂

Yes I did e-mail them about it. I can't imagine that it would be hard for them to simply merge the two sql tables (seeing as that's what they did when I first connected my artist account and personal profile), but at this point it seems like they are just going to ignore it and hope that I forget about it.

Hi again!

Sorry I completely understand your frustration with this issue here. If you've reached out to them already, they should respond soon and be able to help more with your questions. I'll pass your feedback along though. Let me know if there's anything else"

Here is a screenshot of my plays the last few days since this has happened, the 25th I had the lowest number of plays that I've had in the last three months. Each one of the last five days has been lower than any other day prior to that this month. Weird coincidence right?
Screen Shot 0030-02-27 at 9.05.14 AM.png

Suggested posts