NEXT STEP

Spotify pulls wrong language name from Facebook

Spotify pulls wrong language name from Facebook

Plan

Premium

Country

Netherlands

Device

Any device I connect to (PC, laptop, phone)

Operating System

Android, Windows

My Question or Issue

Since this morning Spotify displays my Chinese name (as set in Facebook) rather than my normal one. I haven't changed anything in any settings (on Facebook or Spotify) which may have caused this.

image.png
6 Replies

Hi there @HeWhoHungers

thanks for reaching out !

Upon having a Facebook based Spotify account, your display name will be your Facebook name.

Please double-check your Facebook settings and edit them to have the change reflected on your Spotify account. 

Alternatively, you can disconnect your Facebook from Spotify so that you can pick the display name you prefer. 

Hope this shed some light.

Let me know if there's anything else i can do to help 🙂

No, my Display name on Facebook is my actual name. Facebook offers a functionality to enter an alternative language name for users who view the website in another language. I have had this alternative name set since long before I even started using Spotify, but this morning it suddenly started using it for Spotify where it used to just take my Facebook display name.

you may have to unlink your facebook and spotify if that is possible because i don’t think that spotify will be able to have the alternative name feature that you mentioned.

I know I can, but I would like to keep my facebook connection. Disabling and then re-enabling the connection doesn't fix it.

Hi @HeWhoHungers,

thanks for bearing with me here !

I would also recommend you edit your Facebook language settings to "Chinese" then back to "English" as well as to log out from Spotify in the process and back in once you set your Facebook back to English.

Keep me posted 🙂

By now my name has reverted to the normal display, so it seems to have been temporary. But considering I found posts about this from back in 2017 I wasn't sure how long it was going to last. I'll try your advice the next time I see it happening.

Suggested posts