Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify's privacy feature checkboxes are not working. [Top Tracks]

Solved!

Spotify's privacy feature checkboxes are not working. [Top Tracks]

I have unchecked the "Make my Top Tracks playlist public" option in preferences, and still my "Top Tracks" gets shown publicly on my profile.  I have re-installed, cleared cache. Nothing works. What's worse is that the top tracks are tracks I don't even listen to much and therefore they are NOWHERE near my top/favorite tracks. What up with this? Also, it should be in my control whether I want to share music I listen or not. I have a premium account and this breach of privacy is making me question my decision to continue with my subscription. I don't understand why they are finding more and more sneakier ways to share what we listen to. I'm really regretting creating my account with my facebook account now. The direction they are going towards is worrying me. What next? my facebook details shown publicly on spotify without my permission?

@Spotify Staff: Please fix the privacy settings. Violation of privacy however small does not reflect well on your company. If you are going to show Top tracks, atleast allow us (the user) to configure/hide it. You DON'T decide things for us. We pay for the service, its our profile, and WE get decide what reflects on our profile.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

If those boxes are unticked in your preferences, then they shouldn't be shown to the public, however anyone who has recently viewed your profile whilst they where available will continue to see them until the data is removed from their cache. 

Would you mind either posting a link to your profile here or PM it to me (link in my signature) and I will have a look and see if I can see them (never having viewed your profile before!). If this is an issue, I can then escalate it directly to the Spotify community team for you.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

If those boxes are unticked in your preferences, then they shouldn't be shown to the public, however anyone who has recently viewed your profile whilst they where available will continue to see them until the data is removed from their cache. 

Would you mind either posting a link to your profile here or PM it to me (link in my signature) and I will have a look and see if I can see them (never having viewed your profile before!). If this is an issue, I can then escalate it directly to the Spotify community team for you.

Peter

Peter

Hi!

My top tracks are visible to everyone even though my preferences checkboxes are unchecked.

My friend who just joined spotify can see them, so I know it's not in her cache.

This is completely disasterous. I'm in the middle of a tenuous relationship situation, and my music being public has probably destroyed my chances of reconciliation!!!! Music reveals much! I thought it was private. I've been very careful about my privacy settings.

Someone, please, take it off!

How can I make it stop?

Thanks.

@jump wrote:

Hi!

My top tracks are visible to everyone even though my preferences checkboxes are unchecked.

My friend who just joined spotify can see them, so I know it's not in her cache.

This is completely disasterous. I'm in the middle of a tenuous relationship situation, and my music being public has probably destroyed my chances of reconciliation!!!! Music reveals much! I thought it was private. I've been very careful about my privacy settings.

Someone, please, take it off!

How can I make it stop?

Thanks.

If your spotify username is "jump" (not sure if it is or not!) then I can confirm your top tracks are being displayed on your profile. 

Can you try a clean reinstallation of the client and then untick the boxes again to see if that makes them disappear. Make sure all of the boxes under "Profile" in Edit > Preferences are unticked. 

Peter

Peter

Suggested posts