Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify says I reached listening limit of 15 hours

Spotify says I reached listening limit of 15 hours

Today I received an error message on my Spotify account saying that I have reached my listening limit of 15 hours on a free account. This has never happened before and I read that Spotify has ditched listening limits two years ago. So I am not sure what to make of this. Could it be a scam or did Spotify really reintroduce listening limits for free accounts?

Thanks in advance for any help!

11 Replies

Hey, there. Welcome to the Spotify Community!

It's strange that you are getting that message. I think it has gone for years now, and you can confirm that here (it wasn't stated here, so that means you shouldn't be prompted about that). 

If you haven't done logging out of your account, please do as it may help fix the issue. Oops! Don't forget to restart your device after logging out. In case it doesn't work, reinstalling the app wouldn't hurt. Right? It fixes a lot of issues happening on the app, and this may be one of them. Nothing to lose there, buddy.

Thanks,

marlonsphere

If this post solved your issue - Accept it as a SOLUTION.

If you like my post - Please add LIKES to it.

***I'm not by any means working or related with Spotify. I’m just trying to be helpful; that’s it!***

Hi, marlonsphere!

Thank you for your message!

Unfortunately nothing so far worked. I logged out, restarted my computer and also reinstalled spotify on my computer, yet there is still no change and I receive the same message. Strangely enough, I can still use the app on my phone.

Should I report the problem to the customer support?

Thanks a lot anyway!

Best wishes,

L.

Same message here, I hope it's a technical issue...

I would definitely recommend that out, but question is, do you experience the same issue on another device? If that is so, then it is time for you to contact them directly.

You can reach out to them here, on Twitter with the @SpotifyCares handle, or on their Facebook page.

Thanks,

marlonsphere

If this post solved your issue - Accept it as a SOLUTION.

If you like my post - Please add LIKES to it.

***I'm not by any means working or related with Spotify. I’m just trying to be helpful; that’s it!***

I only use spotify on the computer. But I found my answer here:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/15-hours-a-month-limit-in-Japan/idi-p/1463924

So I came to Japan temporarily, Spotify worked for the first few days, then it forced me to change my account's country to Japan to keep listening. It was weird, it should allow people going on a trip, but oh well.

Some songs weren't working afterwards. And more disturbingly, some songs disappeared from playlists without any warning. But oh well.

Now apparently it has 15 hours limit for Japan and I can't even use it... A most disappointing experience. Combine everything and it really doesn't seem to be offering a reliable service.

Thank you for your messages!

I moved to Japan about a month ago and also had to change my region, so I guess the 15 hours limit is dependent on the region you're staying. I think Spotify might be somewhat like Netflix in this regard, as they don't offer the same service in each country because of licensing issues.

It's a shame, but I guess there is not much we can do as users...

Anyway, thank you all for your help! 🙂

Netflix would actually be a great example to follow. Of course every region would have different licenses, however Netflix doesn't ask users to change their account's country, and it just works in the different regions with the content available, without doing things such as messing saved playlists.

I hope they will soon improve the system, so that users can listen to music in any country.

Hi,

I've been experiencing the same problem except I have a japanese account.

Is it different cause I live in japan?

Thanks!

Hi,

Yes, I think your location is the problem, as until now I've experienced this problem only in Japan. When I lived in Japan I had a free account, but if you buy premium you might have unlimited hours, though I cannot guarantee that. Maybe someone else has experience with a premium account?

That's all I know unfortunately... 😕

Good Luck!

Apparently, when you use your Spotify 'Free' plan in Japan it limits you to 15 hours of streaming per week. 😞 This seems to be a new thing because I used Spotify last year without any limits and also before I updated Spotify for my Mac... I'm only two days into my week and I've already used up my 15 hours of streaming. It SUCKS. The only good thing about this is that it's limited to Spotify on your laptop computer. Your phone app will let you listen without limit, with the usual ads of course. Hope this helps clear up anything. 

Suggested posts