Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify: sleazy and deception business practice? Or just incompetent?

Spotify: sleazy and deception business practice? Or just incompetent?

I have never signed up for Spotify. I started receiving spam emails from Spotify. At the bottom of the emails are always links to "unsubscribe". I click these links. The emails keep coming.

I go to the other link at the bottom of the emails -- to change my notification preferences. I think this may be one of those tiresome services that spam emails on various companies' behalfs, so I click. It takes me to Spotify, where I am to log in and change my preferences. Well, I have no account, so obviously I can't log in and change my preferences.

Next, I go to the Spotify web site to find some way of stopping this spam. No luck there, either. Spotify provides no way (NO WAY AT ALL) to contact them if you are not a member.

So, I think, maybe someone hacked my email and set up an account using my email. So I go to log in and use the "I forgot my password" link. This sends me an email to reset my password. I use the password reset, log in, and change all the notifications to the "Oh for pete's sake stop bugging me" option.

Well, apparently I have an account, so I decide to use it to ask Spotify what the heck is going on, using the "Contact Us" form. I use a form, they send back a form email, alrighty then, I guess they're consistent. The point of my current irritation is the content of that form email. They quote my letter back to me, then say I should first check the community and the Help pages. And they are SURE that will help me with my query.

No, Spotify, really it's not going to help, and that response did not make me think better of you or your service.

3 Replies

@paebrain

Good thing you got access to the account someone created with your email address. You can close / delete it here:

https://support.spotify.com/close/

You can get in touch with customer service without having an account though. Just email support@spotify.com and one of the customer services agents will get back to you.

Alternatively, if you prefer support via Twitter, you can tweet @SpotifyCares.

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I had already tried the "support@spotify.com" -- it came back as "invalid address".

(and I don't have a Twitter account)

Suggested posts