Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify support asking for full card number

Solved!

Spotify support asking for full card number

Hello,

Just polling other users of Spotify support to see if my experience matches any others.

I recently found out Spotify was charging me twice for the same subscription for the past four months (confirmed one sub, definite payment issue).

Having contacted support, I was asked to provide the following information:

"1. Exact date and time of the transaction, according to your bank statement.

2a. The Bank Answer Authorization Code. This is also known as the Transaction Authorization Code.

2b. If your card is provided by Chase, we will need your 23 digit reference number for the charge. This you can get from Chase.

3. The country of issue of the payment card used.

4. The last four digits of your payment card.

5. The exact amount you were charged (including tax)."

Since providing that information, a new Spotify support member has claimed my payment information cannot be found and is asking for my full card number.

While I appreciate tracking down payments from a few months ago can't be easy, I'm growing increasingly unnerved at the amount of personal data I'm handing over to individual Spotify Support members. Furthermore, I'm surprised that I was made to jump through hoops first time round, when the card number itself would have sufficed.

I'm asking if anyone has had a similar experience from the Spotify Support team.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there,
Welcome at the Spotify Community!

I'm sorry to hear you're unsure about the response from the Customer Support team.

I can imagine you don't trust it.

I've escalated this message with the Spotify team, so a Spotify employee will get back to you as soon as possible. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi there,
Welcome at the Spotify Community!

I'm sorry to hear you're unsure about the response from the Customer Support team.

I can imagine you don't trust it.

I've escalated this message with the Spotify team, so a Spotify employee will get back to you as soon as possible. 

Did you by any chance get a reply back or some sort of conclusion to your problem?

My first email asked me for these details:

1. Exact date and time of the transaction, according to your bank statement.
  2. The last four digits of your payment card
  3. How the charge appears on your statement (eg. ADY*Spotify, Spotify USA, Spotify xxxx SE)
  4. The country of issue of the payment card used.
  5. The exact amount you were charged (including tax).

I gave those details, but the reply back was.

Hey XXX,

Thanks for getting back to us with this information.

Don't worry, we'll figure out from where these charges are coming from. However, we're still missing the first 6 digits of your payment card to locate the payments.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Is it legit? They asked for the last four digits (which I gave) but are now claiming they need the full number. 

Hey @Yamenstein

Just asked it again, a Spotify support employee replied that it might happen in some cases.

In your case, they probably can't find your transaction that's why they ask for the first 6 digits.

However, Spotify will never ask for the full number through email or anything else.

Thank you for reaching out to the community!

But they have asked for the full number by email. First time for the last four digits, which I understand. Now the first 6 digits as well. And in the most informal way I can think of. 

Hey XXXX, 

Thanks for getting back to us with this information.

Don't worry, we'll figure out from where these charges are coming from. However, we're still missing the first 6 digits of your payment card to locate the payments.

Hope to hear from you soon.

I am getting sick of this now. Spotify has stolen $48 AUD from me. 

I am having this same issue I have never been so disappointed in Spotify. They are very quick to take money but refuse to refund. Definitely going to stop all the recommendations I Had been giving in regards to Spotify.

Hey there @Tiffcarrsan!

Welcome at the Spotify Community.

Could you tell a little bit more what happened? Help is here! 🙂

I purchased Spotify on June 28 and attempted to cancel it the same day. Spotify replied the next day, refunded me and only to re-debited it again later that day. I submitted this information and was told I have duplicate accounts possibly and to submit the exact wording on my bank account along with the date. I actually submitted my bank statement and informed them I am positive I have no other account and that should be apparent from my bank statement. I was told they still need to my first 6 digits and last 4 digits of my credit card. Spotify has my account name, I sent a bank statement and I relayed the fact that all this occurred on the same account. Why am I still getting the run around I don't understand? It shouldn't be this hard to get a small refund and I was such an advocate for Spotify...this is very disappointing.

All clear! Unfortunately we really can't help you with a payment issue like that. I'd suggest you to get in touch with Spotify, and if they don't reply within 24 hours please let me know.

You may get in touch with Spotify by following this link to send an e-mail.

If you send an e-mail, please check your inbox (and spam box) to check for their automatic reply. Once you get it, please respond to it immediately (even if it's from a no-reply e-mail address) to make sure a Spotify employee will get back to you as soon as possible.

Same issue here. I have been back and forth with them for around a month. They ask for my card number, I refuse, then they go silent. I suspect I will be charged again. I find you cannot cancel an account on thier mobile app. I did cancel on my PC. 

This is all pretty shady. Why would they store so much of my account information in an accessible database? Why do they want 10 of my 16 numbers over POP3? What sort of database are they running? A usability model, or a profitability model?

I don't want to move on this, but I am sure state representatives would be interested if I took action. I will give them one last chance here.

i'm having same issue here as well charged twice. i have no accounts and this is 2017. since 2015 they have not changed at all!

they ask for 12digit out of 16 digit card number. no one have ever asked for that much information. i was searching through internet to find people with the same situation.

sigh.. i think i should just contact bank to report this company as a fraud.

Suggested posts