Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify thinks I'm abroad, when I'm not

Solved!

Spotify thinks I'm abroad, when I'm not

I used spotify in the US, then studied abroad in Australia for 5 months. I couldn't use it there, but halfway through Australia got spotify. I had to change my country to use spotify there. Now that I'm back in the US, I had to change my country again. But now spotify says "Your account can no longer be used from abroad, since the maximum travel time is 14 days for a Spotify Free account. To continue using Spotify from abroad, sign up for Spotify Premium which gives you unlimited travel access." But I'm not longer abroad, and would like to go back to using Spotify Free.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

No probs,

I am going to PM you and ask you for some private info, then I will change the country for you.

Cheers, 

-----------------------------

Rocio

Community Manager

Use the "Accept as solution" button if your problem has been solved 🙂

♬Music is life♬

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hey everyone.

To change your account's country settings, check out this article.

If you run into any issues with this, we'd recommend reaching out via our contact form.

If you receive an automated reply, respond to that email and the right team will help out.

Thanks!

Adam.

Marked as solution

hi, I have an account with Facebook but created this new account for separate music while I was visiting family in Singapore, I am back in the US now and cannot log in because Spotify says I was only allowed to be abroad for 14 days. Can you help me, or can I not get an account back if I made it outside the U.S.?

Marked as solution

@Jimmy31

Most of those problems come from a difference between the country shown by the IP address, and the one in your profile.

First, check your IP address here

After that, compare it to the country shown in your profile.

Finally, your payment method (if you're Premium) must match your country too.

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Marked as solution

@Mary97

Did you change it through the website? Check what your profile page shows.

Make sure your IP address shows you're currently in the UK, since the country restriction is IP based.

You can check it here.

osorniosSpotify Star

Marked as solution

@Eloisekeane

Check what your profile page shows. If necessary, change your country to Ireland.

Make sure your IP address shows you're currently in Ireland, since the country restriction is IP based.

You can check it here.

osorniosSpotify Star

Marked as solution

@erudite4

Your IP address is given to you by your Internet provider, you can't change it yourself.

You could use a VPN to get yourself a different one, but it's just a workaround, not a solution.

osorniosSpotify Star

Marked as solution

I have the same problem I live in the u s and now I have travel to Liberia which says sportify can't work after I have used the first 14 days... So how can I keep using sportify whiles I'm still abroad, can anyone help?

Marked as solution

Spotify thinks I'm abroad when I am not

I live in Canada and all of a sudden it said I'm abroad

help

thanks

419 Replies

Hello Rebeqz, welcome to the community!

I have checked out your profile in our system and everything seems correct. You profile country is United States, so you shouldn't be getting that message from us. 

So, aren´t you able to use Spotify at the moment?

Rocio

Community Manager

♬Music is life♬

I'm getting the same issue. I'm based in the UK and have never listened to Spotify abroad. think I'm getting the error because we have a proxy server at work so it probably thinks I'm in the US.

@Esperento : Sorry forget my last post, you are based in the UK in our system. You are probably right and it is something to do with your sever since everything seems completely correct. 

Sorry for the inconveniences. 

Rocio

Community Manager

♬Music is life♬

I've got more or less the same problem. I used to live in Spain vor a year, and started using spotify there, but now I'm back in Belgium (my home country). However I cannot change my profile to Belgium. I wanna upgrade my Spotify to 'unlimited', but I am not able to do this, there's always an error occuring. Maybe this has to do with the fact that my profile says I'm in Spain, while I'm actually in Belgium?

What can and should I do to change my profile (and hopefully be able to upgrade my account afterwards)?

@Esperento - It's quite common for customers logging into Spotify from with corporate networks.
 Just log in to Spotify when you are at home every now and again. Each time will give you 14 days "travelling" at work.

Thanks Jude! Kudos to you Smiley Happy

Hello potusoa, welcome to the community!

I assume you are a free user at the moment, have you tried to change the profile country to Belgium by yourself? Cause you could not before but now you all have this option available. You have to log in first, then go to "Edit profile" option.  

Once you change the country you will be able to upgrade to Unlimited or Premium. If you keep getting this error message, get back to us and I will change it for you then.

thanks 🙂

Rocio

Community Manager

♬Music is life♬

Thanks for the quick reply! But I'm not able to change my country... Can edit anything except for that.

Marked as solution

No probs,

I am going to PM you and ask you for some private info, then I will change the country for you.

Cheers, 

Rocio

Community Manager

♬Music is life♬

Hello,

Hello lushhungarian and welcome to the community!

I´ve checked out your profile in our system and your profile country is based in the States so everything seems correct. 

Does this happen to you when you are at work or just happens every time you open Spotify? Some people get this error when they try to use Spotify at their office, so if you just get this at work try what my colleague said a few posts above: 

It's quite common for customers logging into Spotify from with corporate networks.
 Just log in to Spotify when you are at home every now and again. Each time will give you 14 days "travelling" at work.

I hope this can help, if it doesn´t, get back to us again please.

Thanks and sorry for the inconveniences. 

Rocio

Community Manager

♬Music is life♬

Hello, we have found out that your IP is based in Canada, since we dont have Spotify there, you are getting this message, basically from your IP you "are not" in a Spotify zone...but you actually are, however there is nothing we can do in that case. 

We think you should talk to your Internet provider in order to solve this. We really hope you can solve this and keep enjoying the music.

Thanks for using this forum and sorry for the inconveniences. 

Rocio

Community Manager

♬Music is life♬

Hi Rocio! Sorry for the late reply! 

I checked my subscription status and while it says the same thing about being abroad, I just tried to launch Spotify and it seems to be working! Thanks for your help though (:

Will you do the same for me?  I'm in the US and it won't allow me to switch my profile either... pm me P L E A S E 🙂

Hello and welcome to the community!

Sure I will help you with this, I just need some private info before doing it for security reasons. We can´t do it here since this is a public forum, so I will send you a private email.

Thanks for using this forum 🙂

Rocio

Community Manager

♬Music is life♬

Hello,

I recently went to France on holiday and downloaded the Spotify iPad app and was going to upgrade to a premium account but could not do so as I was in France and the IP address was French (obviously). Now I'm home (UK) and would like to upgrade to Spotify Premium but Spotify thinks I'm still in France even though I've got a UK IP address and will not let me change my country to UK.

Please help!

Music is my life

As you are currently using Spotify Free, you have 14 days' "travelling" outside France. You would be able to change your country to UK after that 14 days is up.

As you would like to subscribe, you can change your country directly like this:

1. Go to your subscription page.

2. Under Payment method, click Add a payment method.

3. On that page, click Change your country in the text.

4. Now you will be able to choose UK before entering payment details.

Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks a million for your help I have now subscribed to premium and I'm English! Smiley LOL

Hello,

I was in the UK for 6 weeks in the summer, therefore I changed my country for UK, but now that I am back in France, I can't change the country back to France in my profile.

Suggested posts