Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify thinks I'm abroad, when I'm not

Solved!

Spotify thinks I'm abroad, when I'm not

I used spotify in the US, then studied abroad in Australia for 5 months. I couldn't use it there, but halfway through Australia got spotify. I had to change my country to use spotify there. Now that I'm back in the US, I had to change my country again. But now spotify says "Your account can no longer be used from abroad, since the maximum travel time is 14 days for a Spotify Free account. To continue using Spotify from abroad, sign up for Spotify Premium which gives you unlimited travel access." But I'm not longer abroad, and would like to go back to using Spotify Free.

419 Replies

And I also checked my ip and it says japan

I wish I knew how long it takes to get a reply song don't sit here staring at my screen all day. Hahaha

@Shackattack17

The problem is that Spotify hasn't launched in Japan yet, so that's why it doesn't let you change your country.

You could subscribe to Premium with an american credit card, and that would let you listen wherever you're stationed.

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi is can't login I'm having the same problem it says I'm abroad yet I live in Ireland. Can you help please ?
Marked as solution

@Eloisekeane

Check what your profile page shows. If necessary, change your country to Ireland.

Make sure your IP address shows you're currently in Ireland, since the country restriction is IP based.

You can check it here.

osorniosSpotify Star

Hey,

Thanks yeah my IP address is in Ireland but I can't even log on to the profile page as it won't let me go in! No idea what to do

Hi spotify. I registered my account in Philippines. I got a premium account because I subscribed a promo offer by Globe Telecoms. When I got back in Muscat, Oman on January 2016, i still enjoyed my premium account. On mid April, my account was suddenly stopped because it prompted that 14 days are allowed only when using abroad.
I changed the country setting to USA since that was the only option aside from Philippines. I was able to log in now but it is not anymore a premium account. What would I do to have back my premium account since this is a perk from a promo offer I availed from Globe Telecoms in Philippines?

@Eloisekeane

Do you get any error message? How about a password reset. Does it let you do one?

osorniosSpotify Star

@Boams

You're country in your profile page should be Philippines, since you paid through a telecom from there. Since you're no longer in the country, the system won't let you (unless you use a VPN).

You should contact customer support through this link:

https://support.spotify.com/contact-spotify-support/

They'll help you out changing your country and getting your Premium back. They take, at the most, 24 hrs to get back to you.

If you get an automated email directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you.

osorniosSpotify Star

When I went to my Spotify app it logged me out and told me that I couldn't use Spotify abroad for 14 days. I haven't been out of the US at all in my entrie life or out of the state of Texas for that matter. I made another Spotify account and the same thing happened after about 2 weeks and it's quite annoying because I'm not even abroad or have ever been. I changed my location in my first account and set it to the US and everything and it still gives me that same message when I log in. My second account says I'm in Switzerland and gives me no other country option??? This is a HUGE inconvenience because this is inaccurate.

@Mcueto240

Most of those problems come from a difference between the country shown by the IP address, and the one in your profile.

First, check your IP address here

After that, compare it to the country shown in your profile.

If your IP address shows you're in a different country, it could be because of how your network is configured, or an ISP issue.
osorniosSpotify Star

Hi,

I just got logged out of my Spotify account and it said I was abroad, but I wasn't. I stayed in the same country ever since I got Spotify. I already checked my country and changed it to my home country again to just see if it works, but it didn't. I also deleted the app and tried logging back in, but that didn't work either. What do I do?

How do I change my IP address if it's wrong?
Marked as solution

@erudite4

Your IP address is given to you by your Internet provider, you can't change it yourself.

You could use a VPN to get yourself a different one, but it's just a workaround, not a solution.

osorniosSpotify Star
Marked as solution

I have the same problem I live in the u s and now I have travel to Liberia which says sportify can't work after I have used the first 14 days... So how can I keep using sportify whiles I'm still abroad, can anyone help?

@aggpress2000 wrote:
I have the same problem I live in the u s and now I have travel to Liberia which says sportify can't work after I have used the first 14 days... So how can I keep using sportify whiles I'm still abroad, can anyone help?

If you're travelling to a country where Spotify isn't available, the only way to continue listening after 14 days is with a premium subscription.

It said I was abroad... and now it created a different Spotify account with the same email address... and now in this new account there isn't any song
Screenshot_20160620-071707.png

Hello, I do not understand why it's doing this at all. I am overseas at the moment and I haven't used Spotify once. I went to log in just now and it's saying that. I tried to change my country by issuing the steps you said but I cannot change it I only have one option. And I reallyyyyyyy need this account back!!

@Nataliaboz

Check if Spotify has officially launched in the country you're visiting here:

If it isn't, you won't be able to change it in your profile.
osorniosSpotify Star

my country isn't there so does that mean I cannot use it whilst I am over here? Will I be able to use it again when I get back to Australia?

Suggested posts