Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify thinks Im in another country

Spotify thinks Im in another country

Hi, I only use spotify at my work.. Our office department is in Denmark, but it runs directly to our swedish servers.. so spotify wont work anymore.. because Im "danish" but using it in Sweden... 

How do I fix this? Tried contacting spotify but they wont answer back.. 😞

7 Replies

Hi Nickka,

Are you still having this problem?  

Yep.. Spotify answered my email this morning, and asked what country they should change it to.. but that doesnt help me as Im in "both" sweden and denmark.. So I dont know what spotify reacts to, the fact that Im in denmark, or that "Im in" sweden? 

If you are just using your account at work, the best way would be to set your account to Sweden.  That would then allow you to use Spotify at work.

Obviously it would not help if you then wanted to use Spotify at home, for that you would need to upgrade to Unlimited or Premium.

If you haven't changed your country yet and you decide that you want to - just reply back to the Spotify Support.  They will need your security details such as Date of Birth and Postcode if you have already entered it.  If you havent entered your postcode, they will still need it to change the country.

So youre telling me that I can only use spotify at work or home without upgrading.. 

Really not satisfactory .. along with the huge amount of advertising I get, and this "poor" support (email).. I'll probably switch to some alternative.. 

Thanks to you personally for responding tho 🙂 

Oh wow, the farce continues.. Had it changed to sweden, and it worked for 4 tracks.. now it doesnt work again saying I dont got unlimited travel.... 

This is ridicolous.. 

Hi Nikka,

This kind of problem is reported by people who use Spotify on corporate networks. The problem is very likely to be that your company connects to the internet via a proxy, giving you an IP address that geo-locates to a different country.

Your (external) IP address: http://www.whatsmyip.org/

Geo-locate IP address (99% reliable): http://www.maxmind.com/

Solution

Although subscribing to Unlimited or Premium will solve the problem completely, you don't have to do that.

Spotify Free allows you to travel outside your profile country for periods of 14 days. Keep your profile country as Denmark, but make sure that you log in to your Spotify account (in the application) from home, or another Danish IP address, every few days.

Oh wow a solution that will work! Thanks Jude 🙂 

Ill write back to your contact mail and ask to be set back at DK, and will log on daily from home to make sure it doesnt act up.. 

Thanks 🙂

Suggested posts