NEXT STEP

Spotify update on phone has account problem

Solved!

Spotify update on phone has account problem

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Hi! I have had a Spotify Unlimited Account for the last 11 years.  An update I received a few days ago on my Galaxy phone now says my account is a 'Free Account' which it did not say before. On the phone I can now no longer stop the shuffle play.  It also doesn't show the queue and  I cannot choose what track I want to play from a particular playlist.  I also can no longer  control the phone from my desktop/laptop.  My tablet seems unchanged - doesn't say Free Account and no change regarding being able to be control it from the desktop or playing from a queue, un-shuffle, etc.  Help!  Thanks

Regards, Richard

PS.  Just noticed on my Galaxy that if I pause my Spotify play, I cannot move slightly earlier on a track, and I can't replay it either.  The account seems to be behaving like a Free Account when it is not a Free Account.  Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @trikkidikki ,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Community.

Spotify is often testing and launching improvements and new features, so things might look different on your account. If this isn't a temporary situation, you'll receive further related info from Spotify soon.

In the meantime, you can double-check if you're logged in to the same account on all devices 🙂

Hope this helps.

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @trikkidikki ,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Community.

Spotify is often testing and launching improvements and new features, so things might look different on your account. If this isn't a temporary situation, you'll receive further related info from Spotify soon.

In the meantime, you can double-check if you're logged in to the same account on all devices 🙂

Hope this helps.

MaximSpotify Star

I have the same problem... I'm an Unlimited account and after updating myiOS App it says "Spotify Free" and I can't download any music...

Thanks Maxim.  Yes, things are changing daily on my devices, but I am working around the problems e.g. I am using the phone as a radio player for my Spotty lists.  I will wait a while for things to sort out, I am just happy that I am able to listen to great music. I guess I get a little unsettled when things change - I am a 'senior citizen' you see 🙂

Thanks again,

Richard

Not sure where I do the 'thumbs up', so if you don't get one it's because I got lost!

Hey @trikkidikki ,

Thanks for getting back to me.

If you have any other questions in the meantime, we, the Community, will be here and will do our best to answer them 🙂

Have a great day!

MaximSpotify Star

Thanks Maxim,

As per silvaric's post,  I am also now unable to download tracks for offline listening - where the Accounts desciption of Unlimited clearly says it is part of the account.

As per my last post I will leave this for a while as obivously things are in a state of flux with these new types of accounts being created that I was unaware of (e.g. "Student Account"). 

If there is a need to eventually to contact Spotify to resolve, do you know of the best address to contact them on this?

Thanks again!  🙂

Trikkidikki

Hey @trikkidikki and @silvaric,

Are you sure that you had the option to download content for offline listening, as this is a Premium-only feature?

Do you see any downloaded content on your device(s)?

Let me know. 🙂

MaximSpotify Star

Hi Maxim.

In Spotify Account Overview I have this:

Screenshot 2021-08-31 at 10.10.44.png

"Offline listening".

Also, I've been always downloading music until 1 week ago.
Now I can't see the option to download anywhere (mobile, web and desktop)

Thanks

Hey @silvaric ,

Thanks for letting me know.

Unlimited does have the offline listening feature, but only on desktop. If you were able to use them on another device (other than desktop), it seems as if that was an error and you simply got lucky.

If you no longer can use one of the features described in the screenshot on the desktop app, you can reach out to Spotify's Support team. They can look into this further 🙂

Hope this helps.

MaximSpotify Star

Hi Maxim (and silvaric)

Well, I have just been contacted by Spotify and they have notified me that the "Unlimited Account" service is no longer being offered and that I am being switched to a "Free Account" although I could upgrade to a Premium Account.

Ah well, I have been expecting this for some time.  As far as I know Spotify stopped offering Unlimited Account many years ago but obviously have not got around to telling us  🙂      Accounts could never figure out what mine was, and would often refer to it as a Premium Account!     There was hardly a difference between Premium and Unlimited, but I just kept quiet and paid the monthly bills as normal!

Well, it was a fun game while it lasted.

I will just have to decide whether to upgrade to Premium or not.

So the big mystery on the account problems is sorted now.

Thanks for your assistance.

Trikkidikki

Thanks for the help Maxim
😞

Suggested posts