Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't let me update my country?

Solved!

Spotify won't let me update my country?

I recently moved from the US to the Czech Republic a few weeks ago. However, I went to my account settings today to update my new location (I am currently *in* the Czech Republic) and the drop down box will not let me choose any other option besides the United States. Due to this, I am unable to log into Spotify.

If it helps, I am running the app on my Windows computer, and attempted to change the settings in browser. I am not a Spotify Premium member, I use the service for free.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there- I ran into this issue too. And there's wrong advice out there. Literally all you have to do (to not have to deal with creating a new account and redoing all playlists and your play history) is to update your location after you've been to a different country for 14+ days.

I've been traveling for 4+ months now to different countries and have been using my free account. There's definitely a bug because it's always a pain to update it and it never gives you the correct location.

SOLUTION- the only way I've gotten it to update my location is by using Samsung's mobile browser (which I never use). I also tried Safari on my MacBook (which I also rarely use) but that didn't work. Try clearing your cashe perhaps? Or use some browser that you never use. Good luck! I hope they fix it soon- but since we're free users I doubt they will 🙂

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to the community!

Please check this help guide on "Country Settings" to get a better understanding on limitations of using a free subscription in a different country.

As written under "Spotify Free" and because you've mantioned moving a few weeks ago i'd say you've reached a use limit for you free account in another country.

"If you're on our free, ad-supported service you can use Spotify in a different country for up to 14 days"

Let me know if you have any further questions 😃

Hi OneByBoo,

The issue I'm running into is that, now that I've hit the limit for account use in another country, I want to change my country on my account to reflect that I am currently living in the Czech Republic. However, when I got to account, the drop down menu does not give me the option to change my active country to the Czech Republic (even though I am physically in the country).

Hey @Švejk.

Thanks for getting back to us.

Would you mind creating a new account to see if that solves the issue? No worries, if you make sure your music collection is stored in public playlists, you can visit your old account with your new account and grab all your songs from there. You’ll be able to visit your old account by putting the following string in the search bar:  spotify:user:username

Don't forget to replace username with your own username. Oh and by the way, If you want to use the same email address for your new account, you'll have to close your old account. You'll have 7 days to visit your old account and find your music there. You’ll also need to cancel your subscription on your old account, in case you have a Premium account.

We hope you'd like to try this! It's a lot quicker than it might seem. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

Marked as solution

Hi there- I ran into this issue too. And there's wrong advice out there. Literally all you have to do (to not have to deal with creating a new account and redoing all playlists and your play history) is to update your location after you've been to a different country for 14+ days.

I've been traveling for 4+ months now to different countries and have been using my free account. There's definitely a bug because it's always a pain to update it and it never gives you the correct location.

SOLUTION- the only way I've gotten it to update my location is by using Samsung's mobile browser (which I never use). I also tried Safari on my MacBook (which I also rarely use) but that didn't work. Try clearing your cashe perhaps? Or use some browser that you never use. Good luck! I hope they fix it soon- but since we're free users I doubt they will 🙂

I had forgotten to come back to this thread to update it, but this was pretty much what I did for the solution! Usually I use Firefox for my browser, so I just attempted to update my country on Google Chrome and it worked just fine.  Thaks for the help! 🙂

Thanks for the comment Guido,

If you look elsewhere in this thread, we discoverd a much easier fix to the issue than making an entirely new account.

The large reason why I prefer Spotify over any other streaming service is the social aspect/being able to see what my friends are listening to, as well as sharing my music with them. However, creating an entirely new account (and this is ignoring the inconvienience of creating a new e-mail and making an account that's no longer tied to my Facebook) would also lead me to have to follow all of my friends again, as well as remind my friends to refollow my new account. Frankly, that's not how I want to spend my time after I get home from work, or my free time on the weekends.

Suggested posts