Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Starting your account with Spotify; avoiding legal risks....

Solved!

Starting your account with Spotify; avoiding legal risks....

Hello,

I must say that Spotify seems a very nice music alternative but I want to highlight the way Spotify works (for newbies) is not very clear nor 'customer friendly'...

I've started my Spotify account here today as my present internet provider has an action for free Spotify; KPN in the Netherlands. So I installed the Spotify client on my Mac and a few Android devices; to my surprise I see my own iTunes playlist(s) appear in the Spotify app! 

As I don't want to contribute to distribution of illegal music I started out a search for how to avoid my own playlists (and music) being published on Spotify! I then read in the Help that to avoid distribution of illegally obtained music can be done by 'deactivating' the 'share option'. As I've never ACTivated that option myself (!!); huge was my surprise that 'sharing all one's own music, legal OR illegal is turned ON by default??!!

This lures people into sharing all their music "standard" to the whole Spotify community (!!) without even realizing that one might be already distributie illegally obtained music therefore trespassing the law!

Before one realizes Spotify works this way, all harm is done already as Spotify starts publishing people's own playlists, music etc as from the start of the Spotify client! I've now deactivated the 'share activity' option and the 'publishing of playlists' option as I don't want to be responsable for illegal distribution!

I thought Spotify would only procure LEGAL means of distribution of music WITHOUT even giving any possibility to import illegally obtained music! Therefore the option to 'share' should be given to new users so they can think about the consequences if they DO activate the sharing option, which is NOT the case here!

As between the Start of my Spotify client and the deactivation of the 'share option' and 'playlists publishing option' I already might have taken part in illegal actions, this because Spotify enables the 'share all' option by default!

I find this repulsive and not customer friendly at all!

How can the publishing of my stuff be undone? I was not given the choice to avoid illegal actions at startup or initiation of my Spotify account!

Please advise urgently.

Most of my own music is not illegal but some of it just might....

An UNhappy Spotify newbie!

Ed 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

That's it. Spotify is totally legal. It's the whole idea.

Your own music files are never uploaded (We have enough music stored on our servers to take care of already).

Feel free to share everything you find.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Hi Gaytan,

It's nice that you are thinking of keeping artists supported. Don't worry.

The only thing that you ever share is playlists, not the music itself. The music is always accessed via Spotify.

You can indeed tracks that are your own Local files, but you are only ever sharing links. If you share a track that can be found and matched within the Spotify catalogue, then Spotify will stream that track - legally. If the track cannot be matched within the catalogue, then it cannot be played, unless the person playing your share also has that track imported into their local files on their own device.

Spotify does not upload your own files to the internet.

Hi Jude!

Thanks for the quick answer!

So, whatever option I choose, I will NOT, EVER upload any of my music? Being it legal or UNlegal?

I don't want to contribute into anything illegal here!

I understand I don't have to worry about that.

That is correct I may presume?!

Thanks for your swift reply!

Nice!

🙂

Kind regards,

Ed

Marked as solution

That's it. Spotify is totally legal. It's the whole idea.

Your own music files are never uploaded (We have enough music stored on our servers to take care of already).

Feel free to share everything you find.

Thanks!

Nice to know!
I feel relieved now!

🙂

Kind regards!

Ed 

Suggested posts