Streaming to Multiple Devices with Spotify Connect

Plan

Premium

Country

Israel

My Question or Issue

I'm using Spotify premium with 2 Denon Heos Devices:

1. Denon AVR X3400H 

2. Denon HEOS 1 HS2 speaker not connect to my receiver.

Would like to know if there's any possibility to play a song with Spotify Connect to both at the same time, rather than switching between them all the time, it's something that makes sense as people are sometimes spreading this speakers across the house without AMP.

I've seen this idea for feature request, not sure if it refers to Spotify Connect or not:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Connect-Multiple-Speakers-Devices-simultaneously/idi-p/6...

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @chammas.

No worries! Glad to be able to help 🙂

There's an existing idea in the Community - just head over here and add your vote.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Take care!

View solution in original post

18 Replies

Hi there,

Spotify is only licensed to sell 'personal' subscriptions which means you can only stream on one device at a time. 

However, if you have Premium, you can sync playlists offline to be able to play music on one device at a time, but only one can be an active streaming device.

Hope this helps! 🙂

Sounds like you might have misunderstood my question.

The streaming device is one and the same, its not 2 different devices, it's either the iphone or the mac osx.

I am trying to stream same music to two different speakers from the iphone with spotify connect, lets say to one Denon Heos speaker in the balcony and the other one in the bathroom and i can stream only to either of them, is it possible to stream the same music to both simultaneously?

No, at the moment you can only transmit to one device at the same time unless it is a system like Sonos.

Hey @chammas.

Thanks for getting in touch!

You can only stream to one device at any give moment. Of course you could split the signal, if your receiver allows you to. But this is something you'd have to consult the manufacturer for. You won't be able to listen to two different things though. For that you need two separate Spotify accounts.

Hope this clears up some things. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

Thanks for the answer, that's what i kind of understood was the current state.

Was hoping such kind of feature would be in the works,
at least if the devices are in the same wifi network or holds the same external ip's.

@Guido Do you have any knowledge about this, if this is planned/under development?

Marked as solution

Hey @chammas.

No worries! Glad to be able to help 🙂

There's an existing idea in the Community - just head over here and add your vote.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Take care!

Yup, already did that, thank you

and hopefully this can get implemented soon!

As a workaround until Spotify adds this functionality, it can be accomplished using Apple Airplay if you have an iOS or iPadOS device and your target devices support Airplay. Just startup the music in the Spotify App, then drop down the control center and select one or more devices from the Airplay menu.

Obviously this is long after the original post, but I agree with the question, and I know that it is now in fact possible because I accidentally set it up to have Spotify output a song to my home stereo system PLUS my Echo device simultaneously and it sounded great in the same room and I was very interested in exploring it further so that I can also include my other echos in other rooms. But I lost it, and I haven't been able to recreate the settings yet again. I think you are asking about the same feature?

Yes was exactly asking about that,

really surprising you did manage to setup something like this, maybe was due to a bug or something?

If you ever manage to reconfigure it like this and figure out how, then let me know.

I think their main concern is people would start streaming to a lot of different locations especially with WI-FI speakers thus causing them loss in revenues,

for me looking for having this streaming to multiple device inside 1x house , (1x public ip)

Hey there folks,

Just jumping in here to add some info that you might find useful 🙂

Depending on what type of speakers you are using, it should be possible to group them together and play music on all of them simultaneously. For example, if you want to have multiple Alexa devices to play at the same time, you need to group them first in the Alexa app. You can check out the Amazon support page to find out how.

Head here for a list of all compatible devices - just pick a Category and filter by Multiroom.

Hope this is helpful. Give us a shout if you have any further questions!

Happy listening 🎶

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

For your specific situation, why not make the HEOS speaker Zone 2 off the receiver and then use the SPOTIFY source for main zone / zone 2 audio? 

I also have a DENON receiver and I output Zone 2 to a SONOS system that powers the rest of the house. It works exactly as your request wants, so the Denon / HEOS combination should work the same. 

Any chance you've figured out how you were able to do this?

This whole situation is absolutely ridiculous. 

We're asking for something super simple, and after almost 8,000 votes, the best they can respond with is

"Since this idea has been active for quite a while we have to set it to Not Right Now, but we love how many Likes you've given this idea so far. Please don't stop, we're still keeping an eye on this."

What does that even mean? What kind of reasoning is that? "We see this has been an ongoing issue for A LOT of customers for a long time, but we're going to keep ignoring it." In what world does that make any sense? 

Can we at least have an update on the consideration of the idea, since it's been a year since we've heard of any progress? All I want to do is listen to music on two of my speakers at the same time. 

Regards,

Matthew

This is indeed a need for many, and sounds like something really easy to implement. I have been expecting this feature to be implemented for ages, as listening to the same music in the various devices located in different rooms of the house is almost a must.

Funny that we already have a beta of the group sessions while this is still on hold. And by the way, I have tried the beta group session with my wife to do exactly this (same music streamed to two different devices), but doesn't really work because there is great lag and is annoying (we're both working home based due to the pandemic next door to each other and the delay between devices makes it unusable for this purpose)

Please add this feature to stream to several devices in the same WiFi and same Spotify account ASAP!

Hey, why don't you just use the HEOS App to group your speakers??

http://manuals.denon.com/HEOS753/ALL/EN/OKNRSYodbhamxw.php

I keep checking back here thinking that multi-device support is now table stakes and that Spotify would have added by now 😞

@Spotify, maybe just hire a couple of engineers from the Google Home engineering team that figured out how to do this ages ago.

Hey @jemcmahon

Thanks for reaching out about this.

We understand where you're coming from. The team in charge is still keeping an eye out on this idea, so we'd recommend adding your +VOTE to it if this is something you'd like to see in the future. 

If anything else comes up, we're always a message away. 

Cheers.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts