Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Suddenly, my credit card is being rejected

Suddenly, my credit card is being rejected

I am a Dutch citizen living in Malaysia. I have been subscribing to Spotify ever since december 2013. Now suddenly I received a mail entitled Spotify Payment Failure. I was surprised, because there is nothing wrong with my creditcard. When I tried to re-enter my creditcard details, now suddenly my creditcard was rejected because my creditcard was issued in the Netherlands. My creditcard is indeed issued by ING Bank of the Netherlands, but the registered address is in Malaysia. I have been using the same creditcard ever since december 2013, so why dies it suddenly get rejected now? I am a Malaysian resident!

3 Replies

Sorry, but the credit card has to be issued in the same country that you are subscribing to premium in.

A credit card issued from another country, but registered in your current country will not work. 

Employee response to a similar post:

"When paying for a Premium subscription, the payment card’s country must match the country in your Spotify profile according to our security policy."

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Accounts-and-Subscriptions/Want-to-pay-for-Premium-but-can-t-b...

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

That is a bit ridiculous, isn't it? I can imagine that Spotify wants to prevent users from selecting the country with the lowest rate, regardsless of their country of residence, but I am a Malaysian resident and I can prove it, because the registered address of my credit card (the address where I receive my account statements) is in Malaysia, as is my IP address. Moreover, I have already been a subscriber for more than a year! Looks like Spotify is now more interested in protecting its own interest than that of their customers, then!

This has been happening to me, too, and I am a US citizen, living in California with a US credit card. Nothing is wrong with my credit card -- I've used it 20+ times since I was notified that I was canceled because my recurring payment didn't go through. I even tried another credit card and it was rejected, too (-- by the way, the "oops" message that says my bank is having a bad day is really offensive after I've put so much time into trying to figure this out -- and a message I sent to you last week was not responded to). Not sure what to do now -- I'd like to be a Spotify Premium member, but after multiple attempts, I guess I'm through unless I hear from someone there --

Suggested posts