Surprise with foreign transaction fee

Re: Surprise with foreign transaction fee

seanj
Casual Listener

Clearly multiple people are having the same issue, no real resolution yet from Spotify. Multiple banks involved so its definitely not specific to one bank and must be something that Spotify has done on their end. Has anyone had any luck?

teesheezy
Casual Listener

I had the same problem, all they did was to tell me to deal with the bank because it was the bank who charged me. No solution was suggested. I am quite disappointed with their customer service to be honest, and this is my first month subscribing to the premium service.

Stelyio
Regular

Did you switch to Visa/Mastercard and it works fee free?

fishlist
Regular

It has worked for me but has not for others. I currently use a CITI issued VISA card and dont have the fee.

It might be worth writing to them with information collected here and credit card statements -  and also forwarding a copy of the same to the banks.

If there is still no solution, I am wondering if the matter can be taken up with the Ombudsman.

Stelyio
Regular
I think you should, I would too! It’s just disgraceful. My understanding is if the local gateway is in Australia, it’s okay but they re-route transactions overseas to save costs, but then we are slugged for it.
Not very nice

Tracy8

The same thing has happened to me with a PayPal subscription tied to CBA Visa card. On the credit card statement it says that it's Spotify GB (assuming Great Britain). This is only a recent change as I've had my subscription for a while now. Spotify need to sort this out or I'm cancelling my subscription. 

Stelyio
Regular
The best explanation of all the new changes can be found in this blogpost.

As explained in the blogpost, one of the changes to the terms is an update to the name and address of the Spotify company that provides your service (and which is the legal entity responsible for your data). In the past, this was often a local Spotify company; in Belgium, for example, it was Spotify Belgium. This company will now be Spotify AB everywhere but the US, in order to better reflect the reality of our business operations. Keep in mind, that as a practical matter, it’s still the same “Spotify” - we just have had multiple operating entities and we’re now streamlining our operations.

Because the Spotify company providing service in all countries outside of the US has been updated to Spotify AB, all users outside of the US will see this reflected on their receipt.

We hope this will clear some things up. We’re only an email away if anything comes to mind.

That’s what they told me

fishlist
Regular

Which blog are you talking about ? In any case, I have read the information about how they are changing the terms and had to accept it when I recently updated my app. But the problem we all seem to have had predates it. It will be very interesting to see how my payment is reflected this month. If I notice a fee on the current card I have used - I will be cancelling subscription. There are other services that I could use.

shanenkatie

Hi All, 

My first month of Spotify Premium and on my Credit Card (CitiBank) the $17.99 shows from Spotify GB and I have been charged the international transaction fee! 

Please sort this out - seems there are a lot of people getting the same issue.

jonathanfrem

SUGGESTED POSTS