Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Switch to Student Discount

Switch to Student Discount

Hello, I have a $10 Spotify Premium subscription right now, but I'd like to switch to a Student subscription.  I went to https://www.spotify.com/us/student/.  When I clicked "Get Premium", it took me to https://www.spotify.com/us/account/subscription/.  How do I sign up for the discount!

Thanks for the help!

227 Replies

Hello ! 

I tried to switch to student account, but since I dont have a creditcard ( most students don't in the Netherlands I guess) I can not register ?? How can this be solved?

Thanks!

To apply for Spotify’s student discount, just head to the student page.

If you already have Premium, the discounted rate will automatically begin on your next billing date.

If you already have Premium, but it’s paid for through a company other than Spotify (iTunes, internet provider, mobile carrier, etc.), you need to cancel your subscription and wait for it to revert to Free before applying the student discount directly with Spotify.

Things to remember…

• Your account will remain the same (saved music, playlists, followers, etc.) Only your subscription rate will change.
  • The discount is valid for 12 months. If you’re still a student after this time you need to reapply so Spotify can confirm your eligibility.
  • The student discount can’t be used in conjunction with any other offers.
  • You can’t pay for student discount using a Spotify gift/e-card.`
  • If you’re studying abroad, make sure your account’s country settings match the country you’re studying in.

Additional info:

We use the good folks at SheerID to verify your student credentials. To find out more, head to the SheerID student support page. You won’t be eligible to claim the discount until we can verify you’re a student.

If you have any question regarding the verification process, we recommend contacting SheerID directly.

UK students can apply using UNiDAYS or NUS extra.

For more information, head to Spotify’s student support page.

If someone on my family account is in college can we get the discount?

Hey @cass41590

Unfortunately , promos can't be combined, so if your family member wants the Student Discount, he would have to leave your Family Plan and apply to it by himself.

Hope it helps. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I switched from Premium to the Student Discount but I noticed that isn't the full version of Spotify. Some functions cannot be used like shuffle songs, rewind songs and others. (you got more functions that Spotify free but isn't the complete version)

I switched to this because of the discount but I need and I want the full version of Spotify. There's no explanation that isn't the complete version that's why I took this Student plan.

So that's my question. Why I do not have the full version?

Hey @nestorma1

There shouldn't be any different between regular Premium and Student Premium.

You should try deleting and reinstalling the app. Hopefully that'll fix the issue.

Next, try logging into your Spotify profile on your browser here with your email. Your username will be displayed after you login.

After that, check the status of your subscription. If everything looks ok, logout of the app in your device, and be sure to use that username, instead of your email address, to login to your account. It's the one with the Premium features.

Hope it helps. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

I can't see any option for NUS anymore, only Unidays. 

Hi.

I've been trying to apply the student discount to my spotify account but it says that my credentials are associated with another account. How do I know what account it is? Is it possible that they just reset my info so I can apply it to my current account. I don't recall giving out my info, and I haven't used premium spotify yet. So, someone else is using my information, and getting the discounted price. 

Hi. Im also trying to switch to the student discount. I have tried multiple of times to enter my information but it said they're not able to verify that I am a student, but I am. It also listed the school that I am attending, so Im still not sure why its not letting me.

Hey @kcabrer1

You should try with a different browser, or open a private window (incognito mode), and see if that does it.

Also, try in a different device (computer, tablet, etc.)

Hope it helps. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

I'm from Guam, we're part of the U.S. NOT a different country.. It says spotify hasn't been launched in my country yet even though I have been a user for many months. Any thoughts on how I can switch my premium to student without such a hassle?

Hi!

I am studying in the US and I am from Germany, so I am trying to switch my country from Germany to the US.I changed the payment method and it will all work, but I want to get the student discount from my next billing date and that is not possible now because my country is still Germany until the billing comes and then it gets transformed to the US, so the menu still tells me I am in Germany.Is there any way I can get the discount from my next billing date?Thank you!

Hi Rory,

so spotify should telling me to purchase the student discount one. So that will automatically cancel my normal premium and apply the student premium price for the next 12 months?

is that correct?

kind regards

dwayne

Hey @Dwayne123455

If you already have a Premium account, just apply to the student discount here.

After you sign up for the student discount, the discounted rate will kick in at your next monthly subscription renewal date.

Hope it helps. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

Im getting this message when trying to switch to student:

It appears that you are not eligible for the discounted product that you are trying to purchase.

I currently have Premium + òne family member in my subscription. 

Help.

Hey @Limitedh11111

You can only use one promo at a time. In your case, you would have to cancel your family plan first in order to apply for the student discount.

Hope it helps. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

For some reason when changing to the student spotify premium, it only gives me the option to pay by credit card. Is paypal not allowed for student spotify? I normally pay by paypal.

Thanks

Matt

spotify.png

Hey @svbsonic

Unfortunately, i’s currently not possible to pay for the student discount with PayPal.

More info here. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

Spotify is claiming that I'm not eligible for the student discount. Why is this happening? I am currently an enrolled university student.

It's probably because you're not using a student email. Go to their website
and use their messaging support. They helped me right out when I did it.

Suggested posts