Switch to Student Discount

Solved!
Highlighted
5 people liked this

Switch to Student Discount

Gig Goer
‎2014-08-15 04:43 AM

Hello, I have a $10 Spotify Premium subscription right now, but I'd like to switch to a Student subscription.  I went to https://www.spotify.com/us/student/.  When I clicked "Get Premium", it took me to https://www.spotify.com/us/account/subscription/.  How do I sign up for the discount!

Thanks for the help!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Switch to Student Discount

Edited
Community Manager
‎2017-07-06 01:11 PM

To apply for Spotify’s student discount, just head to the student page.

If you already have Premium, the discounted rate will automatically begin on your next billing date.

If you already have Premium, but it’s paid for through a company other than Spotify (iTunes, internet provider, mobile carrier, etc.), you need to cancel your subscription and wait for it to revert to Free before applying the student discount directly with Spotify.

Things to remember…

• Your account will remain the same (saved music, playlists, followers, etc.) Only your subscription rate will change.
  • The discount is valid for 12 months. If you’re still a student after this time you need to reapply so Spotify can confirm your eligibility.
  • The student discount can’t be used in conjunction with any other offers.
  • You can’t pay for student discount using a Spotify gift/e-card.`
  • If you’re studying abroad, make sure your account’s country settings match the country you’re studying in.

Additional info:

We use the good folks at SheerID to verify your student credentials. To find out more, head to the SheerID student support page. You won’t be eligible to claim the discount until we can verify you’re a student.

If you have any question regarding the verification process, we recommend contacting SheerID directly.

UK students can apply using UNiDAYS or NUS extra.

For more information, head to Spotify’s student support page.

Rock Star
‎2017-08-25 11:03 PM

Hey @nestorma1

There shouldn't be any different between regular Premium and Student Premium.

You should try deleting and reinstalling the app. Hopefully that'll fix the issue.

Next, try logging into your Spotify profile on your browser here with your email. Your username will be displayed after you login.

After that, check the status of your subscription. If everything looks ok, logout of the app in your device, and be sure to use that username, instead of your email address, to login to your account. It's the one with the Premium features.

Hope it helps. :)

If this solved your issue, click on 'ACCEPT AS SOLUTION', or add a Like if it was helpful. :)
Would you like a 'screen always on' option in Mobile?
Last.FM | Snapchat | My playlists NowPlaying.jpg

217 Replies
86 people liked this

Edited
Rock Star
‎2014-08-15 04:49 AM

To switch to the student discount subscription, go here:

https://www.spotify.com/student/

Can I get the student discount if I’m on Premium already?

Yep! All you need to do is sign up at www.spotify.com/student and the discounted rate will automatically begin on your next billing date.

https://support.spotify.com/account_payment_help/student_discount/can-i-get-the-student-discount-if-...

Matt Suda   Community Rock Star
♫ Music keeps my heart beating ♫

3 people liked this

Music Lover
‎2015-03-07 04:42 AM

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I am not able to sign up for the student plan. I have already cancelled my premium subscription, and it is still valid till the 1st of April (after which I will be switched to the free version). When I click on the "Get Premium" button on the Student sign up page and log in, I am directed to the Account Overview page (https://www.spotify.com/us/account/overview/) instead of a form asking for my student details.

Will I have to wait for the subscription to expire before signing up for the student discount? If yes, that would not be ideal for me, as I would have to re-download my entire library again for offline access :-(

16 people liked this

Gig Goer
‎2015-07-09 01:26 AM

If I cancel my account in order to switch to a student discounted account, will I lose all of my playlists?

2 people liked this

Music Fan
‎2015-07-14 02:55 PM
That's my question ^^

Music Lover
‎2015-07-22 01:56 AM

I have tried changing my premium account to the student discount and it says it has worked, but I have been getting billed for both a premium account AND a student account. What in the hell do I do?

Music Lover
‎2015-07-22 01:57 AM

I have tried changing my premium account to the student discount and it says it has worked, but I have been getting billed for both a premium account AND a student account. What in the hell do I do?

Music Fan
‎2015-07-22 08:56 PM
@MattSuda's response worked perfectly for me!

Music Fan
‎2015-08-11 11:55 PM

I just saw that I can switch my account to student.  I have been paying 10 for some many months.   I do not want to lose my playlists.  How can i cancel my account , open a student account and retain my playlists and starred songs? 

Music Lover
‎2015-08-13 04:10 AM

Changing your subscription shouldn't affect your playlists, etc. Just like how upgrading from free didn't affect them, your playlists will still be there after changing your subscription status. The subscriptions only affect ads and offline playlists, etc. As far as I know at least.

SUGGESTED POSTS