TURN VIDEOS OFF?

Solved!

TURN VIDEOS OFF?

ave18

How do I turn off these darn videos??? They are eating up my data plan.

150 Replies

meckhert

This **bleep**. I don't want any music videos!!!

MRomanov

Deezer have a hifi streaming and don't show videos. Hmmmm.

PhillyDD
Casual Listener

You MUST fix this and allow us to disable videos. I’m already stretching my data plan just listening to music. I will cancel my subscription if this is not fixed. Thank you. 

Jk1002kalter
Casual Listener

I second the request for a fix.

Apple Music lets me switch off the videos.

DavidGrowth
Casual Listener

This is a bandwidth issue. I don't get any notification when a video starts. This means that my phone could be in my pocket playing videos and I won't know. What do you expect us to do? If I have to check eveytime a sing loads i won't be using Spotify. And how hard is it to add a disable option? If I'm playing a list, it could just skip thos songs. 

You're shooting yourself in the foot for no reason.

n8webb

Can’t quite believe this is an acceptable answer. Which makes me thinks Spotify must be in a tight spot (perhaps contractually) somewhere. So I guess the question is why did you put darn videos in the first place? 

WHO IN THEIR SANTIY THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA!?

communitymmbr

Worry not, there are certain ways to block the intrusive videos, plus ads if you're not a primium member, that use up your data plan and give Spotify the illusion that they are fancy.

Spotify uses some servers, right? And those have addresses and domains, got the point?

RestrictedID
Regular

What are you smoking? This has nothing to do with ads. I am a premium member and don't get ads. The issue is music videos streaming, not ads. We don't want music videos, we're not watching videos while driving in the car or at work. Are you drinking the bong water?

superbigsmurf
Casual Listener

This is a terrible "feature". I am not on YouTube for a reason. I am already removing every song from my playlist that plays a video, because I find it terribly distracting. If this results in too many songs removed, I will leave Spotify.

Kanegasi
Music Fan

To everyone following this, they added an option to turn these off back in January.

Tap "Your Library" on the bottom right, tap the gear on the top right, tap "Playback", scroll down and turn off "Canvas".

booi
Casual Listener

Untrue, this does not turn off playlist videos. I attached a screen recording so you can see. You can't see the actual video probably due to drm protections but, I assure you, it is playing.

RestrictedID
Regular

Not sure which phone you're using, I just bought my Galaxy S9, latest software updates and a fresh install of Spotify. No such "canvas" option and videos remain.

Attached is a screenshot under "playback" options.

Screenshot_20190212-064807_Spotify.jpg

Kanegasi
Music Fan

The forum filter is terrible. It's blocking me from typing version numbers, so here's a combo screenshot on iPhone 6S.

versions.png

Bamyasi

Android app is still at version 8 and it does not have "Canvas" option in the settings.

I am on my free 30-days trial. Whan I first bumped into this "feature" on my phone I was first going to cancel immediately. But then I decided to wait and see maybe Spotify devs will get to their senses and remove this **bleep** soon enough. But I am definitely not getting a paid subscription if they don't.

thedonkevlar

What kind of second rate response is that? Videos should never have been a forced service. A vast majority of your users are mobile subscribers, meaning they have to use mobile data, which costs a lot of money. Putting a video OPTION is fine, but MANDATED? No, no, no, no. That is pure garbage. If it is not an OPTION, then you shouldn't have it on there at all. 

Tjallewap
Casual Listener

Is this the 'solved' answer?

Redicilous

Twisting

Okay so these videos also triggered me like **bleep**. They even stopped me completely from being able to up or downvote songs with background videos. So there actually is a way to fix this, though this is not an optimal solution and I really hope spotify adds a switch to disable these separately.

To disable these stupid a** videos simply toggle on data saving mode.

Cheers

fraktalisman
Gig Goer

@ Spotify Devs: please reopen this issue, which seems to have erroneously been marked as being solved while no fix has been deployed yet.

I (as a paying customer) hereby support this feature request. Please provide an option to disable any video playback in spotify (without disabling anyhting else). The video playback is undesired, distracting, annyoing, a waste of bandwidth and makes it hard to use the actual UI for playback and navigation.

batratien

What the duck is this. 

Why do I see gifs in the background of the songs, gifs that were downloaded using y dataplan? 

Can you remove this piece**bleep** feature. 

Who ever thought to add this should be fired. 

SUGGESTED POSTS