NEXT STEP

The old offline/can't login issue.

The old offline/can't login issue.

Plan

Premium

Device

Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo

My Question or Issue

Hey Spotify, I suffer from the almost one year old bug where you can't login after offline mode. When I want to log in it says "You are currently offline, go online to login. (or something like this, I don't use the english version.)

As I am currently on a very limited data plan and also don't have access to some free WiFi completely clearing the cache and losing all my offline music is not an option. So, as your 'solution' to just clear the password and trying again did not work, I want my money back! I am not willing to pay for a service I can't use because of an issue that is known for almost a year!

16 Replies

As far as our concern, maybe we'll just have to be careful on the "Set to Offline" setting. All I did to evade this issue of can't log in, I disable "Set to Offline" just to evade the further consequence.

I hope this will pacify your feelings as for now. 

Thank you. And have a woderful day.

Well, I don't just want to be careful with the setting. I am on very limited data right now (450MB/month), so I only go online once in a while to make sure spotify knows my Premium account is still valid.

Before i went on my trip I downloaded several GBs of music, which I simply cannot redownload right now. So basically, Spotify is useless for me until I am back home, and that's why I want my money back for the past month. This issue is really old, and it's simply not a way to deal with customers. Sure, had I known before this issue existed maybe I could have been more careful, but I only found out after it already happened.

Also, how can I reach someone working for Spotify who can make some decisions? Only pointing to the community is not exactly what I would call customer service...

But thank you anyway for your reply, it's just that it is too late for me to be of real use...

Hey @zackplok.

Thanks for getting in touch. We're sorry to read that you are experiencing this issue!

You mention that you have downloaded many GB's of music. Perhaps you have reached the 3333 song limit cap which recently got raised to 10.000. We hope you can have access to a reliable WiFi spot so you can reinstall the app and redownload the songs. You can see how to reinstall the app here.

You could even try the lower quality setting. The compression is pretty impressive. Even on the lowest quality setting it still sounds very enjoyable!

Let us know if you have further questions. Enjoy your trip 🙂

Hi

This is *extremely* annoying - I'm at the airport right now, trying to use the terrible airport wifi to download at least something for my flight. Third time this month, which is enough for me to come complaining in the support forum.

The only way to log in to spotify app after getting logged out offline (which happens constantly!) is to reinstall the app. The "go online" button on the app does nothing so this is obviously a bug and it's incredibly annoying and making the service unusable when I most want it - on flights.

Please fix this yesterday, it's absurd that this kind of bug is over six months old again.

Same Problem!

Please fix it!

Low quality mod ist not an option!

We are paying customers and the problem is known since a longe time.

It would be nice if you do your job please.

Hey @CurtGuevara and @elventhor,

This is understandable and we want to make sure everyone enjoys their music without any issues.

We strongly suggest that you go to your account page and remove all the offline devices. The option is found on the menu under Offline Devices. After this, reinstall the app and make sure your OS is up-to-date.

Important! This means that you need to download your music again, so make sure you find a stable internet connection.

Once you've done this, log out from Spotify everywhere and reset the password.

If that doesn't work, let us know your device, OS version and Spotify versions.

As a side note, you need to go online every 30 days in order to synchronize your subscription status between your account and your device.

Keep us updated!

I did all the stuff but nothing changed.
I use a Lenovo Moto G4 and Android 7.0
Spotify version 8.4.70.666armV7

Hey @CurtGuevara and @zackplok,

Could you let us know if you are using an external SD card to store your Offline music? If that's the case, could you try to save music on your phones internal storage to see if that makes any difference?

Before you switch to the internal storage, we recommend doing a quick reinstall again.

This way we can find out if there's an issue between the Spotify app and the SD card you are using.

Let us know what the result is. Looking forward to your reply!

Its still the same problem.
Allso without a SD Card.
And by the way it doesnt mether if i turn on offline mode (Spotify) or if i
turn off my mobile datas.
And i allready made a factory resat of my phone. Always the same

Yes, I am using an SD to store my music. I already cleared the cache of my phone and was able to log in, but it does not solve my issue as I still only have a data connection by satellite and occasionally via mobile network, so not enough to download all my music again.

Actually I cancelled my premium subscription as I won't have access to unlimited data until end of october. So all I am asking for (and was from the beginning) is a refund for the last month I paid for a service I couldn't use.

This is insultingly bad customer service and and just infuriating canned response.

The *BUG* is: After spotify logs itself out while in offline mode (which is a bug by itself) the "go online" button does not work thus forcing the user to reinstall the application and all the music.

1) Fix the go online -button on login screen

2) Fix the app so it doesn't log itself out constantly while in offline mode

3) Stop insulting your customers with terrible canned replies and telling us to reinstall and redownload our music

Bugs happen, but severe bugs like this have to be fixed. Throw in insulting and useless customer service and you lose the customers. It's not like there's no alternatives.

(Ps. re reCAPTCHA on this page throws a random error at least 50% of times)

Exactly the same issue here.

It is not feasible to download all of my music again and reinstall the app as I am in a place with small data plans and slow internet. Specifically wanted to avoid downloading/streaming any music. Kind of defeats the point of offline mode. Please fix this Spotify.

Spotify 8.4.70.666

Android 8.0.0

Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact G8441

Hey all,

Could you take a look at an Ongoing Issue which is currently being investigated by us? You can find it here. If the issue matches with what you are experiencing, please hit the vote button and leave a comment with the info we need.

Thanks and have a nice day!

No, this is a different issue. The inability to go online only happens after the spotify android app has logged itself out while in offline mode. (Note: This happens well within the 30 day grace period)

No, this is not the same issue. But the issue is also in the system,
with the status "not right now" or something like that.

So what about a refund for the month I could not use spotify? Or a free
month for when I get a new subscription after I am back home?

I have the exact same issue.  I have re-installed Spotify 3 times already and this will be the 4th time.  This is just plain stupid.  Fix the issue and allow us to listen to music that we pay for without having to go through a long process of re-installing and re-downloading the music.  Very poor support.

Suggested posts