Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Transfer from Google play music/youtube music to Spotify not possible? ( thumbs up playlist)

Transfer from Google play music/youtube music to Spotify not possible? ( thumbs up playlist)

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

UK

Device

multiple

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

I've been a long term user of google play music, and am now being forced over to youtube music ( which im not a fan of) so looking at alternatives.

Within google play music was/is a feature called thumbs up playlist, and in YT music this has transferred to "your likes" playlist

Over time, by listening to google play music in random "play music" mode i have selected thumbs up on stuff ive liked , which in turn has built up  a reasonable playlist

Ive tried tunemymusic.com but the thumbs up/your likes playlist does not appear ( just a  few standard playlists)

I would like to transfer this "thumbs up"  playlist into spotify and use it in a same way, and take out a spotify premium subscription.

However if this is not possible then it looks like i will have to stick with youtube music

15 Replies

Hey @Richard_T123, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

The Your Library section is the place to manage your songs, including all of the songs you’ve liked and downloaded. There is some more information about this in this Spotify Answer.

If you would like to get started with Spotify, check out this guide and you can always upgrade to Premium here.

Hope this helps!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Every now and again i come back to this, each time there is no answer.

When using Google play music, i built up a playlist called "Thumbs up" this was generated by having Google play music, now youtube music playing tracks at random, or from a tracks suggested for you auto playlist, by clicking a thumbs up the track was/is added to this thumbs up playlist, now called "your likes" on youtube music.

This playlist in Youtube music is described as such

"

Your likes

Auto playlist 475 songs Music that you like in any YouTube app will be shown here. You can change this in Settings.

Within Spotify there is a ( currently empty) playlist called " liked Songs"

Spotify describes this as follows:

Liked Songs: Songs you like will appear here

Save songs by tapping the heart icon.

So how can you get the Youtube music "your likes" playlist to populate the Spotify  Liked Songs playlist, and then keep building the liked songs playlist up by tapping a heart icon in spotify

Hi again @Richard_T123

Thanks for your reply. 

Keep in mind that there are currently no official music transfer apps that we support, so we can't guarantee that everything will work out fine with transferring your music.

However, it's worth looking around in the Community, because other users have exchanged their experience around the forum, sharing what worked and what didn't with them.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Have a good one!

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey Richard_T123! Maybe this tool can help you - MusConvTool, try it here, MusConv.com

It really is a bummer that Spotify doesn't offer a means to import music library data from other services, and worse, users are referred to other solutions which involve utilizing some third-party service.

It's 2021. We're living in times where data privacy and cybersecurity are more important and vulnerable than ever, and the solution is to use some third-party service's portal to login to multiple accounts and pass all of our data through their servers?

The lack of support for importing from another service has been a major pain point and blocker for me to switch over to Spotify. Users spend years cultivating a music library with one platform, and it's a PITA to have to manually re-do all of that work.

I'm currently still just trying Spotify out, but this lack of support is such a major factor in the decision. The Spotify platform itself is honestly not enough reason to switch (so far, IMO).

I understand it may not be a trivial engineering effort, especially with UX, due to lots of differences in features for managing a music library. But still, it can be done, it's just parsing serialized data exported from another service.

Well, that's my two cents, and it just really is discouraging to see all of these recommendations to use some random third-party services.

Hopefully this will change, we'll see.

Hey @betweenthebam,

Thank you for your reply and feedback.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall and we’re constantly aiming to improve our features. We’re sorry that this means you’re not able to use Spotify like you wish to do at the moment.

You can read more about how your feedback reaches Spotify here.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

You guys are literally losing customers over this.

I came today to consider switching to Spotify from YouTube Music, but the fact that you can't manage something as basic as copying your competitors' (100% publicly available) list of likes ... I mean, this is "throw a couple interns on it and you'd have a working prototype" level stuff ... just convinced me to stay where I am (or try Pandora).

The page you linked to says it was archived and cannot be displayed.

Same. Can't see it.

Hi there folks,

Thank you for getting back in touch.

We understand that things can feel frustrating when things don't work as you'd like them to. Rest assured that we're always trying to improve as we always strive to improve our features.

We hope for your understanding and that you continue using Spotify and find it gets better in the future.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

So far, none of the moderator responses in this thread give any detail to explain why Spotify does not have this capability, or whether Spotify intends to develop this capability. Some explanation would be helpful for the community and prospective subscribers to understand how a seemingly simple programming problem might be surprisingly complex... is it security concerns? Digital rights issues? Legal limitations? Liability worries?

If the moderator would offer an explanation specific to this issue rather than boiler plate customer service mumbo jumbo, we would all be grateful and probably stop asking the same question over and over.

Hey everyone,

Thank you for your posts.

If you haven't already, check out this idea regarding importing and exporting files. In case we have any new information to share on the matter, rest assured we'll post the updates there. As for the thumbs up playlist - if you're able to transfer it as a Spotify playlist with the third party apps, you can select all songs by pressing Ctrl + A on the desktop app and right click > Save to Liked Songs.

We're always here if there's anything else we can help with.

ElenaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have over 6K songs in my "Your likes" YTM playlist and have been frustrated that I can't migrate those to Spotify. I used Soundiiz to transfer all my other playlists (it works great and was well worth the $4 I spent to do this). However, YTM doesn't expose "Your likes" as a normal playlist, so Soundiiz doesn't have any access to it (and nor would Spotify if they were to develop a similar feature).

I was able to migrate my Likes from YTM to Spotify as follows:

1. Open the Your Likes playlist in Youtube Music in a web browser (not the mobile app)
  2. Select the fist song in the list by checking the selection box on the right side of the song listing.
  3. Scroll down to the bottom of the list. Just keep hitting the End key on your keyboard until it doesn't load any more songs.
  4. Press the Shift key on your keyboard and select the last song. Now all the songs in the playlist are selected.
  5. Click the button (or right click) to add the selected songs to a new playlist.
  6. That playlist is now visible in Soundiiz (or similar services) and can be migrated to a Spotify playlist.
  7. Open the Spotify playlist, select all the songs and like them.

It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

You can transfer from Google play music/youtube music to Spotify by using MusConv , I found 50+ music services on it.

Hey Richard, I completely see what your issue is - and that first response you got was comically corporate-unhelpful. What I would do if I is you, would be to go to your “liked playlist” and start physically moving that music over to a playlist that you created, so that they will port over to Spotify. It might be helpful to log on from a computer, in case there is a sort of “drag and drop” feature where you can select multiple songs. Like, select/highlight the first song and then press  “shift + down button” to select multiple. 

Also, I know that those playlist porting services are able to do it because the songs are the same file type or format or something. I’m a builder not a computer guy so please excuse me. But maybe try to download your “liked playlist” for offline use, and maybe it’s possible that this would ‘reformat’ that playlist such that it ports over. 

best of luck

Suggested posts