[Tutorial] How to Disconnect Spotify from Facebook

Solved!
Highlighted

Re: [Tutorial] How to Disconnect Spotify from Facebook

I'm not sure, but I might have found something useful for accounts created with Facebook.

It is not possible to log in to your account via Facebook on some devices (like speakers). Over here, you can see your account number and set a device password to work with. I tried to use these to log in to the Spotify desktop and web apps, and it worked, even after changing my Facebook password! The only noticeable difference, strangely, was the disappearance of the preference option to share activity on Facebook. My music, home page, account picture, and Facebook friends were still as they used to be.

Since I don't want to delete my Facebook account now, I can't verify whether this would indeed be an nicer way to disconnect from Facebook.

Highlighted

Community Legend

@florean wrote:

I'm not sure, but I might have found something useful for accounts created with Facebook.

It is not possible to log in to your account via Facebook on some devices (like speakers). Over here, you can see your account number and set a device password to work with. I tried to use these to log in to the Spotify desktop and web apps, and it worked, even after changing my Facebook password! The only noticeable difference, strangely, was the disappearance of the preference option to share activity on Facebook. My music, home page, account picture, and Facebook friends were still as they used to be.

Since I don't want to delete my Facebook account now, I can't verify whether this would indeed be an nicer way to disconnect from Facebook.

It wouldn't work unfortunately, using those details to log in still logs you into a Facebook account (just means the authentication is taking place on the Spotify systems rather than the Facebook ones), so if you deleted your Facebook account your account would still become inaccessible. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Highlighted

Casual Listener

I wish I had seen this post a few weeks ago. I deactivated my FB account and with it went Spotify and all my playlists. I'm now considering reactivating FB for a bit just to recover those playlists. 

Thanks for the Info!

Highlighted

Community Legend

@Ma_Ria wrote:

I wish I had seen this post a few weeks ago. I deactivated my FB account and with it went Spotify and all my playlists. I'm now considering reactivating FB for a bit just to recover those playlists. 

Thanks for the Info!

If you still have your Facebook details, create a new non-Facebook ("Using my email address" option) Spotify account from the signup page and then get in touch with the team and they will be able to get the playlists moved over to that new account for you 😉 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter

Peter

Highlighted

Casual Listener

That would be wonderful! Thank you again 

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Hi,  and thanks for your tutorial, 

When I first created my spotify account, it was with spotify, my username was alisonsghost and everything was (very kindly) free. I was away for a year or so and when I came back, in order to access this account  they a) made me pay, and, possibly get to it via facebook, Or I may have used it again first through the facebook spotify app. I've been upset by the fact that my username has been replaced by my real name, which doesn't feel safe and interferes with my warm, musical bubble:).I didn't realise it was going to happen as I had no idea that facebook had bought spotify. .I'm about to get rid of facebook (again)  but very much want to keep my spotify account.  

The reasons  I'm still confused  are a) that in trying to check which category my account fell into, I followed your advice on going to edit , to disconnect from facebook, to find that I already was disconnected, even though my real name still appears. I got rid of the spotify app on facebook last night which might explain it. And b) I've just tried to log in using my facebook details to check the 10 digit advice, and got first a message asking me to sign in as alisonsghost (as usual) followed by a full screen suggestion that I might like connect with facebook and bring all my friends! 

I'm not too bothered about playlists as I've been able to play very little since paying for the service in contrast to the amount I was able to play before, but I'm reluctant to get rid of this account in case I can't start another with my email address . I would be grateful for any help 🙂 

Highlighted

Community Legend

@alisonsghost wrote:

Hi,  and thanks for your tutorial, 

When I first created my spotify account, it was with spotify, my username was alisonsghost and everything was (very kindly) free. I was away for a year or so and when I came back, in order to access this account  they a) made me pay, and, possibly get to it via facebook, Or I may have used it again first through the facebook spotify app. I've been upset by the fact that my username has been replaced by my real name, which doesn't feel safe and interferes with my warm, musical bubble:).I didn't realise it was going to happen as I had no idea that facebook had bought spotify. .I'm about to get rid of facebook (again)  but very much want to keep my spotify account.  

The reasons  I'm still confused  are a) that in trying to check which category my account fell into, I followed your advice on going to edit , to disconnect from facebook, to find that I already was disconnected, even though my real name still appears. I got rid of the spotify app on facebook last night which might explain it. And b) I've just tried to log in using my facebook details to check the 10 digit advice, and got first a message asking me to sign in as alisonsghost (as usual) followed by a full screen suggestion that I might like connect with facebook and bring all my friends! 

I'm not too bothered about playlists as I've been able to play very little since paying for the service in contrast to the amount I was able to play before, but I'm reluctant to get rid of this account in case I can't start another with my email address . I would be grateful for any help 🙂 

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Just had a quick look at your account (from my limited view) and I can confirm it is not connected to Facebook. 

Be sure you are logging in using your username "alisonsghost" and your Spotify password and you should be good to go. If you are still seeing your real name in the desktop client, a quick clean reinstallation of the client should sort that out for you. 

Also just a note, Facebook does not own Spotify 🙂 

Peter

Peter

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Thanks for your reply. Weirdly, I just went back to my spotify page - and found that I had to disconnect it again, even after I'd just turned down the kind offer to connect with facebook. Apologies for the long post, but I was awake til 4am trying to sort this out and my brain no longer works. I'm also very very pleased to hear that facebook does not own spotify:) 

Highlighted

Regular

I have the very same problem. There MUST be some other reason why Spotify makes things so damned complicated! Just a button

" Disconnect from Facebook" would do the trick. I do hate makers that want you to obey to their orders for undefined reasons. 

I might leave Spotify forgood and go back to the old ways and keep in charge of my computer rather than others who obviously benefit....can't think of any other reason. Same goes for Facebook and their developers.

Willem

Highlighted

Community Legend

There is a reason why you can't disconnect, as Rorey outlined in my Ideas topic about this issue here

Thanks so much to everyone!

At the moment, we're unable to implement the idea suggested above for a few reasons. As a few of you have noticed, our system currently doesn't support the changing of usernames since playlists are tied to usernames. Many folks who created accounts via Facebook before we implemented an email registration option would like the option to "transfer" their account to another.

You can indeed follow the instructions in Peter's aforementioned guide to transfer your account. Moreover, we understand the want for a simpler way to move to an email created an account instead of a Facebook created account. However, we won't implement an option to "transfer" your account at this time.

If you have any questions about how to transfer your account, follow Peter's guide for the quick fix or contact customer support.

With that in mind, I do understand why its not possible but it is a real pain!

Peter

Peter

SUGGESTED POSTS