Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to Change Profile Picture

Unable to Change Profile Picture

Plan

Free

Country

United States

Device

Dell Inspiron 3668 Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I'm trying to change my profile picture, but whenever I go to my profile and hover over my icon, no "change" button shows up. As well, I've tried reinstalling but that hasn't worked. 

Thanks!

9 Replies

Hi @Ashbate,

Thanks for coming to the community with this. That seems strange! Now this is a link to a solution with a different method of reinstallation: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Desktop-Playlists-empty-after-update/td-p/4679818

Let us know how you get on with this!

Have a great day!

A

Thanks for getting back to me!
I took a read through that thread, but I've already tried everything listed in that thread.
Thanks!

Hi,

The advise in the Home-Help / Account Basics / Change Profile Picture

https://support.spotify.com/us/account_payment_help/account_basics/profile-picture/

is in fact NOT working, or better not present.

T420_1524.jpg

there is NO 'change' field/indicator or whatsoever

Spotify Version: 1.1.16.522.g55a4b852

Whereby it is the same with the version of Windows 10 from Microsoft Store.

first i thought this might be an issue, but wasn't.

This happens on any Desktop installation, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10

in android it is anyway not possible as far as i read, as well not in the Webplayer..

it is not possible in newly created free accounts or newly created premium accounts.

i as well went through many threats, whereby i wasn't able to really reckognize a solution at all, i mean, reboot windows and reinstall spotify and coming back to where it started....
I have meanwhile spent a day on this.

aside the original issue i had, i noticed, that my primary account has a picture. So, there must have been a point in time, where this was possible to change.

Meanwhile, while upgrading to a family account, i tried to put a picture on a second and third account as well, but obviously without success.

as well, it is not possible anymore to change or delete the picture from my first account.

so, please help here,
thanks, Hans

Hey there @Ashbate and @H-W-Prinz,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community!

This sounds like the Ongoing Issue described here. If so, please keep in mind that our tech teams are aware and looking into this.

We'd recommend adding your +VOTE and subscribing to that the thread mentioned above so you can stay up to speed with any updates we have to pass on regarding a fix for this.

Hope this helps clarify things! If there's anything else we can help with, don't hesitate to give us a shout.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Hi Katerina,
Thanks for getting back to us users on this issue.
i will not follow the threat you had mentioned above, since except the same issue, there is no comment to help no nothing..
At least it is acceptable and noticeable that you say your tech teams are aware and working on it.
- and explicitly this is another issue i need to highlight, being myself an 2nd and 3rd level engineer in networking, this, yours is the very first and only official statement i was able to see on this topic from you as the developing company!
usually, if such an obvious and for users overall impacting application issue comes up, there should be some notification, some release note with open caveats or other something else on a download page to inform users, what they have to deal with. Overview actual release or so..
- last, just that i kindly received an answer, this is for sure no solution. this is just a long lasted reaction of the company. and i really need to wonder that there is a possibility to 'accept this as a solution' button. maybe one should think about not to missuse a community blog platform as a ticket system for real issues..
Thanks /hans

All,

i was able to get hold on an older version of spotify, as mentioned we are currently on some Version 1.1.17.<lot of numbers>  as i'm writing this.
randomly i was downloading Version 1.0.85.259 and installed this. and it is 100% working as expected. the 'change' field is directly working on the profile picture.
Certainly all the (for me) cosmtetical changes which had been made since this version are irrelevant for the function. as well as a lot of functions other people from the community complaining about as now missing in newer versions would come back.
If you are 'fast' enough do all the changes you need, as like changing the profile picture, since the next update will be downloaded again automatically without the possibility to choose if you want that or not.

there is a nice video on Youtube explaining to even get around this. just search for 'disable spotify update'. the first in the list was working for me so far.
there was non the less an update announcement again, but after restart the app there was no update done, since it obviously wasn't able to access the update folder.
myself, i will at least have one installation with this older version to be able to login, do my stuff and logout again.
in some threat i read that one had installed the even older 1.0.80.474 for some explicit function not working in higher versions, but as mentioned, i'm fine with this workaround so far.
thanks /hans

L570_005.jpg

Hi, as in various threats mentioned,

actual Version 1.1.17.xxx has the fix for this.

Thanks,

Hans

V460_004.jpg

Hi Hans,

I'm having the same issue - there is no "change" option on the desktop app nor the android app.

It seems like you've found a fix for it with the version you have highlighted above, but I'm not sure what that means. Do I need to install a different version of the software? I'm not even sure how to find out what version I'm currently using....

Hopefully the Spotify help team can provide some advice, please?

Thank you

Sian.

Hey there @sianh,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community!

Just to confirm, have you followed the steps provided in this support site article to update your profile picture on the app?

Keep in mind that it's only possible to do this on the desktop app. This would explain why you're having troubles finding this option on the Android version of the app.

On another note, the issue described here should be now fixed. If you're unsure about the current version of the app you're on, we'd recommend following the steps here to update the app.

If you're not seeing any available updates while still missing the option to edit your profile picture, we'd recommend reinstalling the app on your desktop device with these steps and giving it another try to see if that does the trick.

Let us know how you get on! We'll be right here if you need more help.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Suggested posts