Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to add members to spotify Family

Solved!

Unable to add members to spotify Family

Hi,

I recently added my girlfriend to my spotify family and it went fine. But now I would like to add my uncle. 

But when I go to the "manage my family" page, Tthere is no button or whatever to add a new member? What do I do?

Im using a Mac running Yosemite and the latest version of Safari. 

I've added a screenshot of the page.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there welcome to the community,

To add another user to the family plan, you will have to cancel your current Family plan and resignup for a new one.

What if I want to add another subaccount to my plan?

The number of subaccounts (i.e. the number of people you can invite) that you selected during signup cannot be changed. You may however cancel the account – at which point all members of the plan revert to Free level subscriptions if the current billing month lapses. You would then sign up again, selecting the number of subaccounts you want. You may the re-invite the people you want to keep on the plan.

You can read more about the Family Plan here.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

It took Spotify some time, but the current implementation is now on par with Apple Music in terms of cost (with all of the social goodness that Spotify adds). I am happy with the current Family solution: https://www.spotify.com/us/family/

It is now easy to add or subtract users. I added my son to a new slot: He and I created a (free) account, I invited his account, and the connection was completed.

Feedback for Spotify Support:

I am not happy overall with the way that Spotify handled their customer support of the first generation of Family accounts. It was a frustrating, confusing process, and their image was tarnished by their lack of feedback and acknowledgement, as much as it was hampered by the length of time they took to come up with the solution that really should have been implemented in the first place. I was so close to dropping Spotify (truly a superior product in many ways to Google Play, Apple Music, and others), over this one terribly implemented family subscription (and the crickets of silence from Customer Support). I am grateful I stayed, and I do like the new implementation.

View solution in original post

92 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi there welcome to the community,

To add another user to the family plan, you will have to cancel your current Family plan and resignup for a new one.

What if I want to add another subaccount to my plan?

The number of subaccounts (i.e. the number of people you can invite) that you selected during signup cannot be changed. You may however cancel the account – at which point all members of the plan revert to Free level subscriptions if the current billing month lapses. You would then sign up again, selecting the number of subaccounts you want. You may the re-invite the people you want to keep on the plan.

You can read more about the Family Plan here.

Last.fm | Twitter

It seems like Spotify made the family plan as hard and inconvenient as possible. Everyone needs to cancel their account first, no pro-rated credits for cancelling early to switch to a family plan, can't add or remove a member without cancelling the whole account and losing that partial month of credit. What a mess.

Are you kidding me?
That is the weirdest system in the world.

That's currently the only way, it might get changed in future as the system is quiet new. I cannot confirm that as I am not a staff member, but there is always a possibilty.

Last.fm | Twitter

I'm not sure I understand. 

I currently have a Family plan, right now my brother and I are in it. I wanted to add my other brother to the account and I don't see the button do that. 

What you're saying is that I have to cancel my subscription then signup for a premium account again?

@user-removed - Once you set up the subscription price at the start of the process (where you select how many accounts you want) there is no way to change that. Unfortunately it you then want to add or remove a family member you do need to cancel and resubscribe.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

This is really scandalously stupid. 

And if the system really is this stupid, at the very least the registration for the familiy plan should carry a clear warning that you only have ONE CHANCE to add family members to this account without having to cancel everything and start from scratch. 

Really stunning. 

It ios worse than that there is no help far family plan and I can see no way to add members

It is a disgra

I am currently paying for 4 plans so a family plan SEEMS to be the answer but NOTif it is not supported !!

I really have to cancel my whole plan and wait for it to expire? I really wish I was told this from the start with some kind of "you will NOT be able to change this". I just added one family member to see how it worked and then wanted to add someone else and now I can't. Im honestly surprised you don't allow us to give you more money.

This is something that MUST be fixed. If I was an investor in the company I'd be very upset.

As a user, I added one family member to see how it went. I then planned to add two more family members as Christmas presents. That's an additional $120 per year that Spotify is now not going to get because of the way this system works. You folks are going to loose a bunch of potential $$ by this rediculous way of subscribing.

Unbelievable. I cannot believe anyone would create a new feature that sucks this badly. I get a one time chance to upgrade and that is it? Pitiful. Spotify should be ashamed. Two more family members want in - they will have the free version and nothing else because there is no way I am doing something as moronic as canceling my account just to create my account. 

Kudos for helping with the answer, shame heaped upon Spotify for the answer. Pitiful that you get a one time chance to upgrade. Please tell me this was outsourced to a country that has never heard of subscriptions or upgrading an account. If you tell me this "feature" was done by people that have actually upgraded something before I just will not believe it. What company gives it PAID subscripbers one single chance to upgrade and then tells them to cancel and open a new account or just live with what you have? Shame on Spotify.

So to add a new member, I have to cancel my subscription, wait for it to expire and then add the new members. That is unbelievably stupid. I wish that the people in charge of developing these features actually waited until they were ready before rolling them out because it's exactly this kind of crap that makes me want to cancel permanently.

Indeed, this is the weirdest and most inconvenient system ever !!!

It´s absurd....

how much time did they take to think this way of subscribing members???????????????

I'm collecting a set of ux/ui issues and this one definitely sits pretty high up on the list.

Hi All,

I've jumped through this hoop once already last year.  I cancelled one subscription and merged it to a family plan.  Then I wanted to add another member - so had to cancel my entire plan, then re-subscribe with an additional family member.  

Today I want to add another family member.  I was hoping they would have a better system in place by now but it looks as though this isn't a priority for Spotify today.  There are three areas I'd like to see improved here:

1. Fixing the fundamentally broken current system.  In my "acccount" page it's indicated that I can "manage" my subscription.  I can't, I can only "remove" or "re-invite" people.  The implementation should include the ability to add as well as remove users.  The current system doesn't even explain how to perform this operation (by cancelling then re-commencing one's subscription).  It should at least provide a pointer to the relevant information.

2. Provide better information.  Before coming to the community I looped through the "spotify.com" information, faqs and documentation pages.  It was frustrating to spend one's time trying to find a way to pay Spotify more money and introduce a new user.  This is obviously a question that other people have asked, why doesn't Spotify update its online documentation/marketing material to provide a canonical guide to the "Family" feature?  Information should include:

- Guidance on how to add/remove users and "upgrade" one's account.

- Details on billing structure; if I cancel, then resubscribe , do I forfeit the remainder of the month I had paid for? 

3. Offer better communication to its users.  Let me be clear.  I'm not criticising the community.  It's a fantastic resource.  But for some things I'd like to see an easier route to the "official" support resources.  I found the contact form after going through a few bits of text encouraging me to use the community instead, but if Spotify had made an official comment on this thread already (clarifying that the proposed solution was the officially sanctioned one and explaining the billing policy alongside it) then I wouldn't have felt the need to use the form.  Also, I'd be much happier using the community if it appeared as though someone from Spotify was monitoring it.  I can't see any "official" input from Spotify on this thread.  One could assume that they don't care about this issue and think the community will handle it.  Even a: "thanks for the feedback - we'll look into it", message from Spotify would reassure me that the community was something Spotify thought was important and cared about rather than a first-pass filter for user's issues.  As it is I've used the support form to ask these questions directly and will add the response here if it's useful.

Just my 2 cents,

Alex

I agree! This is a fundamental UX/UI misstep. Tell your users that they can do something, then don't show or explain the method to do that action. Plus, don't even provide an easy to understand UI that gives feedback showing what they can or can't do.
What it implies to me is that Spotify's account systems were massively unprepared for the number of family accounts, and their ui/ux designer and developers (wrongly) decided not to make the system robust enough to handle simple family account changes.

This is the dumbest subscription process I have seen.  Spotify must be run by Morons.

Suggested posts