Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to add members to spotify Family

Solved!

Unable to add members to spotify Family

Hi,

I recently added my girlfriend to my spotify family and it went fine. But now I would like to add my uncle. 

But when I go to the "manage my family" page, Tthere is no button or whatever to add a new member? What do I do?

Im using a Mac running Yosemite and the latest version of Safari. 

I've added a screenshot of the page.

Thanks

92 Replies

The Spotify help page (https://support.spotify.com/us/learn-more/guides/#!/article/spotify-family) on this topic clearly says to just click "INVITE" to add a fmaily member.  This is NOT the case.

Really!?  Two years this thread has been going and you still have to cancel.  CANCEL(!?) your account and then restart it to add members.

Between this and the horrible UI on the desktop, I'm switching to Google Music.  It's worth it for the removal of YouTube ads alone.

This is some of the dumbest crap I've ever heard of. If it was an oversight, I'd understand.  But this is at least a two-years running problem now. If you're going to offer a service, offer it.  If you're not going to, dont!

you cant add new mebers without cancelling the family plan? thats flipping ridicuous.

Let me also air my greivance against Spotify for such a terrible design.

Why would you design it so that it makes it harder for yourselves to make extra subscription money?

Obviously the people in charge don't particularly care about this issue or else something would've been done about it.

For the people who have switched to other services I applaud you. Only when they lose subscriptions will they bother to address the issue.

I've had the same problem - and at the guidance of Spotify's customer service they cancelled my subscription so I would be able to sign up for the family plan again - the only problem is now my only option on the sign up page is for the "Me + 4" account at $30/mo!

Their customer service was responsive initially but as soon as I sent back that my only option was @ that level they just stopped responding. Its been 3+ days now where they just don't respond to my email - not even a "we're working on it". 

I've been trying out Apple Music in the interium - but I really want my Spotify back!

If anyone from Spotify sees this post and could help - it would be much appreciated - my case # is 04665422.

I took to twitter to see if @SpotifyCares would be more helpful - while they respond within a few hours - they say "Just go to spotify.com/family to sign up!" ignoring all of my comments about the missing options on that page. So frustrating.

Well its been 10 days since I initially reported this - they still haven't fixed my account 😞

I'm reading all fo the complaimnts about the same issue that I was dealing with concerning the family plan and add ons.  I wonder, are you listening SPOTIFY?  Do you have a response?  Will you address this issue?  It is obviously a problem, for which the solution would only increase your bottom line. Waiting for a reply.....

I have just gone to the Spotify.com/family and pressed Upgrade, there I can upgrade to add a new Falimy Member. Got to upgrade, because I have to pay more.

It would have been nice if Spotify hat told me that, but you can't have everything in life.

I wish that worked for me.... I only get the "Me + 4" option when what I want to upgrade to is "Me + 2". They've been "working on it" for close to 2 weeks now. They could have been making more money from me this whole time... in fact twice they've canceled my single premium account so they are currrently getting NO money from me. 

Spotify.jpg

Recently signed up for family. Only want to be able to listen from 2 devices at the same time, one in my car for instance at the same time another member has it playing in the house. I am not able to add the family member with a different email address. Do I have to set up another account for her? 

You should be able to have up to 6 accounts with the same payment plan ($15).  I pay $15/mo and have two separate accounts for that price.  One for me with all of my artists and playlists and one for my wife with all of her crap.

You should be able to do this as well.  When signing up, indicate the two email addresses and it should work fine when you each try to login to Spotify with your own email and password.

It's official. SPOTIFY SUCKS.

This Has Been Solved.

You're right, I notice that is is fixed, and you can add members in the 21st century way.  I just added my daughter.

It's too bad this took so long.  Already switched over to Google family plan.  It's nice to have a proper web-based player so that I can listen on my Chromebook.

CONTACTING SPOTIFY CUSTOMER SUPPORT IS A JOKE.  ALL THEY DO IS SEND YOU AN EMAIL STATING THEY RECEIVED YOUR COMPLAINT AND THAT THEY WILL GET BACK TO YOU.  

wow - that s*cks spotify!

How? I just tried to add more members and I see no option. I just see the one family member I have now.
Marked as solution

It took Spotify some time, but the current implementation is now on par with Apple Music in terms of cost (with all of the social goodness that Spotify adds). I am happy with the current Family solution: https://www.spotify.com/us/family/

It is now easy to add or subtract users. I added my son to a new slot: He and I created a (free) account, I invited his account, and the connection was completed.

Feedback for Spotify Support:

I am not happy overall with the way that Spotify handled their customer support of the first generation of Family accounts. It was a frustrating, confusing process, and their image was tarnished by their lack of feedback and acknowledgement, as much as it was hampered by the length of time they took to come up with the solution that really should have been implemented in the first place. I was so close to dropping Spotify (truly a superior product in many ways to Google Play, Apple Music, and others), over this one terribly implemented family subscription (and the crickets of silence from Customer Support). I am grateful I stayed, and I do like the new implementation.

"

Hi there welcome to the community,

To add another user to the family plan, you will have to cancel your current Family plan and resignup for a new one."

Is the stupiest and most frustrating solution ever offered... so what's the point of making it ease for the end user?

I have several play lists so that meant I will have to export all and reporting all which process is not user freindly eitther. I might very just abandong this and go back to Pandora...! :(( 

Cheers

Alf

Suggested posts