Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to change country without changing email address?

Unable to change country without changing email address?

Plan

Used to be premium, cancelled due to switching to apple music, considering switching back.

Country

New Zealand. Recently moved back from Australia.

Device / Operating System

Not applicable, THIS bug comes up from the account management page from a web browser.

My Question or Issue

I recently moved country. I am unable to change my country settings in my account management page.

I make exactly 1 change. I change my country setting from Australia to New Zealand.

Upon clicking save, it highlights my email address, and says "We're sorry, that email is taken."

Why yes, yes it is. That's my email address. That I am NOT trying to change. 

Due to my country setting being wrong, I am unable to resubscribe to premium, as my new payment card is in New Zealand.

This issue happens on:

chrome, vivaldi, opera, firefox and edge on windows computer #1

chrome, opera, firefox and edge on windows computer #2

chrome, opera, firefox and edge on windows computer #3

chrome, firefox and safari on my mac

safari on my iphone

safari on my ipad

This is a bug report. The account settings page is obviously malfunctioning.

Attached is a screenshot, for what little it's worth. Sections in blue have been obscured for my privacy.

Capture.PNG
8 Replies

Hey there !

Thanks for reaching out to the community.

Let's so how we can  help you.

Have you changed your country settings lately ?

Is that a joke?

I am unable to change country. 

I have tried to change country, but failed. 

I already detailed this in my post. 

Did I not make that clear, or did you fail to read?

Hey there !

Thanks for getting back with me.

The reason of have you changed lately was asaked because there are some limitations on changing settings that are involved with locations.

I'll be glad to keep assisting you.

Hello @plottingCreeper,

This is a frequent issue. In this case it's best if you close your account and create a new one.

I'd recommend you put all your music in public playlists and close your account following these instructions.

When you create a new account here, you can visit your old account if you type "spotify:user:username" in the search bar. From there you can grab all your music and save it in your new account.

Hope this helps and sorry for not having better news!

Jose_MSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

That really is insane. I'd probably be better off making a random email address, just to change country. What sort of incompetent gimp made a settings page that doesn't work properly?

Is there anywhere else I can report bugs?

That page is busted, that is not ok.

Hey @plottingCreeper!

I'd recommend checking out this solution for a similar issue. I suggest you follow the steps there and let me know if that does the trick.

Have a nice day!

Jose_MSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

So, make a new email address, change email address just so that I can change country, then change email address back. 

While better than the "delete account and start over" workaround, I'm still not happy.

Seeing that someone else on the opposite side of the planet with the same issue, that's more concerning than anything. Is the quality control of the spotify team really that bad? Apparently so.

After looking around, it appears that there's no way for users to officially report bugs. 

Sure, 90% of user submissions are abusive, wrong, or just plain stupid, but consulting your userbase is the best way to find bugs. Blocking them out like that shows you have no interest in making a functional system. So long as it makes money, right?

As a general rule, I don't reward incompetence, and I don't reward malice. 

Whichever one represents spotify, doesn't really matter. Luckily, there's lots of music streaming services popped up since last I looked, so I have some shopping to do.

Thanks for attempting to help. 

Hey @plottingCreeper.

Thanks for getting back to us.

You can also reach out to support and they will be happy to update any setting in your account for you. You can contact them via chat or email. More info here.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

Suggested posts