Unauthorised logins in other countries

Highlighted

Re: Unauthorised logins in other countries

This afternoon I received email notification from spotify that I had 2 logins to my Free account in the early hours of this morning.  One from China, one from Albania.  Obviously not me.  I was sleeping at those times.  I don't use Facebook so the only Spotify app is on my laptop, no phones, just the laptop.  I use the Spotify Win 10 app and I'm always logged in.  The laptop was powered on but in sleep mode. I rarely use Spotify, but by coincidence I did use it earlier in the day, so the Spotify app might have been active in the hidden icons on the task bar.

Since it's a free account I deleted it.  I just opened a new one.

Now I'm thinking maybe I did this to myself.  Yesterday a utility app I use updated and included an optional Avast VPN (no affiliation).  So I tried it.  The VPN disguises your location to be in random different countries.  It also slows down the connection speed to a crawl.  It may have still been on when I went to bed last night.  I have since deleted the VPN app.

Is it possible that the Avast VPN could have caused these two random logins from Albania and China while the Spotify App was active, but the laptop was in sleep mode?

It's just strange that this has never happened until the day I install a VPN.

Highlighted

Regular

I'm seriously sick of these log in emails. I'm only signed in on one device, I've changed my password several times using up to the maximum number of words, letters, symbols, you name it and again within a week I get sign in warnings, from US this morning, but it can be from anywhere. If there's a security problem it's on Spotify servers, accounts are being hacked on your end. It's pretty obvious that it's your problem and YOU, Spotify, should fix it. The reason I recently cancelled my paid membership with Spotify is that I do not feel secure, and got tired of the constant requests to change passwords. When I stop getting these mails I will sign up for a paid account again. These hackers are definitely accessing the passwords from Spotify itself. 

Highlighted

Visitor

Would a moderator please log me out of all devices, someone has hacked my account and that option is not showing up on my account overview screen

Highlighted

Visitor

That's definitely not the issue.  The fact that you keep pushing this back onto users is absurd.  

Highlighted

Casual Listener

ngl i think this is happening to a lot more people then what is shown and i don't think they(spotify) know how to actually fix this. in the span of 2 months i had this happen 33 time ive signed everyone out 5 times, changed my password 3 times and nothing seems to work every one keeps giving the same list of things to do but its not doing anything. keep in mind i didn't realized this until 3-4 day from replying to this i only truly noticed i was hacked when my music was changing on its own.

Highlighted

Regular

I'm tired of getting these emails 2 or 3 times a day. Honestly thinking of uninstalling Spotify and start using Deezer or Soundcloud instead. 

Highlighted

Visitor

Hi, 

I have had the same issue. I have followed the instructions 6-7 times now and each time received another foreign login within days. There have now been 20 logins to my account that were not authorised by myself, all in different locations. 

I have reset my spotify, email and facebook passwords, removed all apps access (except Spotify Community which I only allowed to have access today) and signed out everywhere - both in and out of incognito mode. It has not made a difference. The passwords I have created on these accounts are not used anywhere else so there is not a chance of third parties revealing this information. 

Spotify really needs to increase security here - either allow me to block foreign logins completely, or at a minimum require more layers of authentification to login. 

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Sorry but this is not the solution.  I’ve done these things.  I have no apps that have access and I’ve changed my password several times to complicated stings and numbers letter and symbols.  Something is wrong with Spotify.  

Highlighted

Casual Listener

I’m sorry but to be having this problem is just absurd . I believe that the only way to fix this is to simply switch to Apple Music or another platform . Especially when Spotify says the issue is not them 

Casual Listener
Agreed
SUGGESTED POSTS