Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unidays roadblock

Unidays roadblock

I've been trying to renew my student subscription to Premium via Unidays, previously verified with my (still valid) NUS card, but I've hit a roadblock. After much back and forth with Unidays support, they won't verify my account without 'a personal institution email address or a valid, in date, student ID card issued to you by your institution'. Well, my institution doesn't issue email addresses (we all communicate via Slack), nor do they issue cards (do universities really still issue physical cards in 2017?!) A senior member of staff at my academy has offered to verify my student status via email, but Unidays won't accept that. So that leaves me, a student, unfairly prohibited from continuing to access Spotify's student discount.

I can't believe my institution is the only one out there to operate without email addresses and / or physical cards...

6 Replies

Hey @Matty79,

I'd recommend reaching out to UNiDAYS and again and maybe ask how you can be verified if you don't have an email address/student ID card.

They're the ones who verify your eligibility, so there's not much Spotify can do about this.

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

They use to accept NUS, but now they only accept UNiDAY accounts. Many people are now longer able to claim the student discount (insitutes not listed is the main issue/reason). You can vote for this to be changed here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/All-Platforms-Allow-NUS-card-holders-the-same-stud...

Thanks for this @techytuppers. Yes you're right that the first barrier to entry is whether or not your institution is listed. After that the email address / card comes into play. Your link doesn't seem to work though - could you please double check and edit as I would like to vote, for what it's worth.

Hi Maxim, my last post got swallowed up by Spotify moderators never to return (I was editing it to try and @link your name but couldn’t get it to work) so posting again in the hope this one sticks.

In a nutshell, I respectfully disagree. Spotify choose who they partner with and I can only assume it works out for them financially to involve Unidays, as it certainly doesn’t have any consumer benefits that I can detect.

What kind of company brands itself with a typist's **bleep** mixture of upper and lower case letters anyway?

Hey Matty79

You're right, and rather annoyingly you can't grab a permalink from the idea.

If you search for "[All Platforms] Allow NUS card holders the same student discount as Unidays" in the search box, it should be the top hit.

Suggested posts