Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unknown device hacked my account

Unknown device hacked my account

Hi all,

Just sent a letter to Spotify support, but I thought I would share my story here as well, as I'm pretty worried now.

Some unknown smartphone was using my account, for a few weeks now probably, but I only noticed it yesterday, when it 'logged in' while I was listening to music. First I thought it randomly stopped, but when I checked, it looked like it was still playing, without sound though. I went to find out what went wrong, when it caught my eye that Spotify suggested there are multiple devices accessible. That's when I saw a ZTE phone hijacking my account and playing it right then. It was apparently playing other stuff too for some time before as well, as I found stuff totally alien to me in my history, all artists I don't know or never listened to.

I checked on the message boards here, and it turns out it happened quite a lot before as well. So I went and changed my password, kicked off all devices, revoked access to all apps, and changed my password again. So far it's okay, but I'm staying logged out on all three of my devices now, and I guess I should do that whenever I'm not using it.

Not sure how many of you are out there with this currently, but I sent some questions to Spotify, to get some clarity, here they are:

"- How and why could this happen? What causes this? Was my account simply hacked? Or is it due to a security loophole?
- How frequent is this issue?
- Were my actions satisfactory to block this from happening again? Is there anything else I could do?
- I would like to have detailed information as to how Spotify tries to combat this (as far as legally allowed of course)? Is the root cause identified already? What measures are going to be implemented to stop this from happening, and when?
- Should I change my passwords everywhere now? "

Now I wait, and hope I'll get comforting answers, not even sure I want to use the app until then. I'm a Premium user, and love the service, but this is a major issue I think, and if nothing is going to be done, I'm going to delete my account.

Is there anyone else experiencing this right now? What are you guys doing, or what kind of support did you get from Spotify? Any suggestions?

Thanks and regards,
Attila

3 Replies

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday.  In addition, they somehow signed me up for Premium with Family. I was chatting with a Spotify support rep about this, they locked my account, and disabled the subscription.  But I was also at work, got really busy and couldn't respond.  My further attempts to contact Spotify today have had no response.  Perhaps because today is Sunday?  I'd love to get back into my account and listen to music again.

You should send them an email, I got my responses pretty quickly. Support is 24/7.

They did the usual account reset for me, but no word on what exactly happened yet, only suggesting it was a password hack.

In any case I still believe there should be an option for manual approval of all new devices trying to connect, even with a password.

Spotify Support did indeed get back to me later that day and were super helpful in getting my account fixed.  I'd love to know what happened.  I can't imagine it was a password hack since I log in through facebook, and my facebook account doesn't appear to have been compromised.  ...unless there are other ways to log into Spotify when you have the facebook login set up.  

I did notice that I had some approved applications that I had forgotten about including Mopidy and Iris.  Could my account have been broken into that way?

Why is there so much spam on this board?

Suggested posts