Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unknown people on family plan

Unknown people on family plan

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung Note 8

Operating System

Android

My Question or Issue

This is my 4th time writing this, because you people have made it so difficult to write a complaint.. I'll stick to the points. 

My Spotify app was logged out of my account. I noticed an email while waiting for my password reset email, saying my account was recently used in Venezuela. I then notice 4 people have been added to my family plan. I also notice that "I" am now following Playlists that I never heard of. Why am I being hacked? Why are people able to log in to my account, see my address, and then add others? Why should strangers be able to know where I live!? Also, my "Discover Weekly" Playlist is all messed up now... Apparently "I" love to listen to soft instrumentals that should be in a CD Box set from 1994 with a corny infomercial at 2am.

Spotify, you guys suck. You should have two-step authorization. This is beyond frustrating that I have to feel creeped out and anxious because your security sucks. NO I do not use the same password for all my apps. No I do not visit shady sites. No my Spotify is not logged in through strange third party apps. 

I've been a customer for over 5 years!! Sadly, I believe it is time for me to cut the cord. 

Screenshot_20200724-011008_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200724-005636_Spotify.jpg
3 Replies

Hey @AliciaK1, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

I’m sorry to hear about this.

In this case, I’d recommend checking out this support article for the next steps to take. On that page there is also an option to get in touch with Customer Support if you need further help.

To prevent this from happening in the future, there are many measures you can take to protect your account, such as resetting your password every few months, and not using passwords you have used on other sites. There is also a great guide here for some more measures on protecting your account.

If you see an email from Spotify, and can’t tell if it’s legit, use this checklist.

Of course, Spotify makes sure that all user records and platforms are completely secure around the clock.

I hope this helps.

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Dude, he just said he doesn't reuse passwords. Clearly you didn't read his text. This is so frustrating. It's happening to me too. I'm a hair's length to canceling and going to something else. Tired of this **bleep**. 

This has happened to me numerous times. I'll delete the unauthorized users, reset my pwd, sign-out everywhere etc. Fast forward 6 months or so and its happened again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Maybe Spotify is "okay" with unauthorized users being added to family accounts because that means they have more unique users to pad their numbers. That would obviously be horrifying and unethical so I just don't see any reason as to why they'd allow this to continue. There are posts going back several years about this same issue.

I've been complaining about this for years and kind of just thought "Spotify is a big company, they'll get it fixed soon". Well, I've been a paying customer since 2014, but its time for a change since Spotify refuses to address this issue. Apple Music looks like they've got it together so I'll give them a try.

Y'all know Albert Einstein's definition of insanity right?

side note...how does Spotify still not offer 2fa?

Suggested posts