Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unlimited account replaced by free account

Unlimited account replaced by free account

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

I just want to give feedback to recent changes that have been made to existing accounts. Respectively: changing unlimited accounts to free accounts.

My unlimited account has been, without consent or even questioning, replaced by a free one yesterday. As a long-term user, I am basically being punished for supporting Spotify for years, or in my case, almost a decade. I am given no choice than to get a premium account if I want to get the features back that have been taken away from my account or to leave. I think this is highly unfair and it will certainly not make me get a premium account, since I've lost trust Spotify as a customer. I think there could have been other ways to promote the premium account. Curious to know what others think.

9 Replies

Hey @Jess_Morris ,

Thanks for coming to the Community.

Spotify is always testing out features to give its users the best listening experience. This means adding new features, and sometimes, removing old ones.

I can confirm that they’re closing Spotify Unlimited, and all accounts under it will change to their free, ad-supported service.

You can always subscribe to a Premium plan here to keep enjoying all the Premium features in all your devices.

I hope this clears things up 🙂

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I too am very disappointed by this. I found out the hard way today, when adverts started playing and I logged in to my account to see I would be soon moved to a free account. I had to talk to an agent to find out. No email.

I've been with you for ten years. The agent confirmed I would be seeing no no features moving to Premium. 

Dear @Maxim

Thank you but this isn't a solution at all. I am really disappointed how Spotify handled this and I will not be getting a premium account, as I already mentioned in my post.

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your replies and feedback.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall and we’re constantly aiming to improve our features. We’re sorry that this means you’re not able to use Spotify like you wish to do at the moment.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Well I am sorry but I simply can not accept these replies. All that "we have added features and removed others" is really a slap in the face of long-term and paying customers. If you're not going to do anything about, at least stop making fun of us. This is ridiculous...

Hi again @Jess_Morris,

Thank you for your reply.

We absolutely don't want you to feel like that and we understand that things can feel frustrating when things don't work as you'd like them to. Rest assured that we're always trying to improve as we always strive to improve our features.

We hope for your understanding and that you continue using Spotify and find it gets better in the future.

Have a great continued weekend!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

It stood in my accountplan that my account change from unöimited to free 14/10 but it allready happens a couple of days ago. Can you help me?? 

This is not serious. Cancelling the plans is one thing. But Spotify could at least notify its users beforehand. This is a slap in the face. And now their representatives lie to us? How on earth is there any improvement in this? It is a cancellation, let’s not act like we’re gaining anything or that it is simply “things not working as you want them to”. It is insulting and condescending.

Must be a fulfilling job, telling people that a lack of communication and a one-sided cancellation is an “ImPRoVEmenT”. I know it is not your fault, but please find a job where you don’t have to be an ass and lie to people’s faces and act like they are dumb. This style of communication is insulting and so instead of €5 per month, Spotify will get €0. Not because of the cancellation, but because of the subpar communication related to it and the condescending tone the organisation employs vs some of their oldest customers. 

Hi folks,

Thanks for the posts.

@Alej9, the change to the free service happens automatically. We can't say for sure why this happened before the date on your notification. We've passed this on to the right teams at Spotify.

You can also subscribe to a Premium plan here. As always, we really appreciate your feedback as we work on new ways to make Spotify better.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts