Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unlimited, apparently a thing of the past.

Solved!

Unlimited, apparently a thing of the past.

Today after the press conference the website got updated and Unlimited is now no longer an option for new users. You have Free and you have Premium as your choices for a subscription. I myself am currently a Spotify Unlimited user since I use Spotify on my computer exclusively.

First things first, what will happen to my current Unlimited subscription?

Secondly, out of curiosity I tried to log on to Spotify on my cell phone (Android) and try the new Shuffle feature available for Free users. What happened was that, even if I could log in, I couldn't actually play anything. The "Shuffle Play" button wasn't even present and when I tried to press Radio I was confronted with a message saying I need to upgrade to Premium to use that feature.

Shouldn't Unlimited users at least be able to use the mobile version in the same manner as Free users?

I'm confused...

123 Replies

You are not the only one, believe me...

Along this situation I really do not undertand why I have to pay £9.99 in UK for Premium if my friends pay €4.99 for the same service in Hungary.

Apple would not have dared to do this with us... 😞

Hi folks,

To clear up confusion around the most common questions:

1. Unlimited subscribers will receive adverts on mobile and tablet devices. Unlimited is still for ad-free listening on your computer/web player, but you'll now also be able to use Spotify for free on tablet/mobile devices in the same way Free users do.

2. As Peter mentioned, apart from in the new countries we just launched, Unlimited will continue to be available from your online account

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

Thanks for clarifying that @Adam , actually I think its pretty harsh unlimited users get advertising on mobile and tablets (I assumed it would remove adverts on an account level), so basically as far as I see it the only advantage to unlimited over free now is no adverts on the desktop client? 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

@Adam: what is with the limitations for free users after 6 months (2,5h week)? Do they still remain?

@Roecker - sorry for missing that.

But you're right - there are now no time limits or restrictions on the amount of music you can listen to using the free version of Spotify for desktop and tablets. Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

@Peter wrote:

Unlimited will continue to work as it always has, with advert free listening on the desktop and now tablet applications. Currently, unlimited lives on in existing markets, its just not available in the 20 new markets launched yesterday. 

If you already have an unlimited subscription, you have no need to worry, there are no changes to your subscription that I am aware off so far. From what I understand, although not visible on the main website, unlimited will be continued to be offered as an upgrade option from your online account if you are in a country where unlimited is available. 

Why to pay for Unlimited, if you can stream at same quality now for free without time or play limits?

It's only radio on mobile (U can't select fully what you play), but real player at your pc can.

Really?

It's just insane, i will pay for the same service as Free account...

I'm aware i have for the same price the option to launch the mobile apps, but for get what? Adverts...

I understand your new move but do something correct for users who pay a subscription :

- Desktop : no ads (same as before)
- Mobile / Table : Random radio with no ads (new)

We pay, its seems a correct compromise i think.

I guess Spotify are taking the view unlimited was always advertised as unlimited ad-free desktop listening, focussed purely on the desktop and that view hasn't changed with the new free extras. If you want the full mobile experience without advertising, that remains a premium subscription feature. 

Peter

So the only benefit in paying my £4.99 a month is to lose adverts on my desktop computer?

On Free I could pay nothing and get....

Unlimited usage.

All devices.

Ads.

So if I can live with ads.... I can have the same access and keep my £4.99.

Can someone confirm this is the case?

So the only benefit in paying my £4.99 a month is to lose adverts on my desktop computer?

On Free I could pay nothing and get....

Unlimited usage.

All devices.

Ads.

So if I can live with ads.... I can have the same access and keep my £4.99.

Can you one confirm this is the case?

Another difference should be the high quality streaming at 320 Kbps.

Should be. But Spotify has given the impression that they don't really want people to subscribe to Unlimited.

@dunmaster90 wrote:

Another difference should be the high quality streaming at 320 Kbps.

No, this was (differently from some other competitors) only provided to premium users, not to unlimited users.

@cwbh - You are correct, the only two advantages unlimited has over free is uninterrupted listening (ad-free) on the desktop and web player only, as well as the ability to take your music abroad for more than 14 days as advertised when the service launched. 

@Roecker is correct, high quality streaming at 320kbps is and always has been a premium only feature. 

Peter

What about shuffle on mobile? Will Unlimited users now be forced to shuffle music on mobile (which, I might add, would be a bleeding cheek, since without offline play Unlimted on mobile is just a player for your own MP3s)?

Unlimited on mobile phones is identical to Free on mobile phones, so you can listen to any playlists or artists on shuffle only mode, as well as use mobile radio (all with limited skips). Unlimited only gives you ad-free listening on the desktop client. 

You can listen to your own local files on demand on any device on all of the subscription levels. 

Peter

I also have the Unlimited subscription and if it dissapears, as it seems, I'm not going to upgrade my account to the Premium and I will convert into a Free user. Now I pay 4,99 €, which I think is reasonable, but I think 9,99 € it's too much, I can listen music with some advertisements. So, please, Spotify people, think it twice, I'm not going to pay anymore and seems that I'm not going to be the only one.

CMV

You cite yourself a music fan but you also think that 9.99 per Month is too much to listen to anything, anytime and never have to pay for a CD again.

Really?  

As a music fan you have to remember that artists need to be paid and spotify hasn't made any money ever - I would be happy to pay double the current premium to not have to buy music ever again - and be happy that artists an actually make some money from this.

currently I pay premium, but I also buy MP3's from smaller artists that I listen to on Spotify just to ensure that there is a possibility they can continue to make music in the future.

Maybe spotify need to add some way of giving extra money to particular artists of out choosing whilst giving some added value - for e.g., live albums.

What do you think?

@cmv - Don't worry, if you are currently an unlimited subscriber (or in a country where unlimited is available) you can continue to subscribe to unlimited now and in the future. 

Peter

Oh really? I didn't know that I could continue with my subscription to Unlimited, great news!

@socokev: of course, I'm happy to listen to my favourite artists and pay for it, this is why I decided to subscribe to the Unlimited option some years ago. What I don't like is to be paying for a plan and, suddenly, it's cancelled and substituted for a more expensive one. Of course, artists must earn money, but I don't see the reason why all of them must be millionaire, they can earn a salary like mine 🙂

Suggested posts