Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unlimited, hearing ads now!

Solved!

Unlimited, hearing ads now!

I downgraded my account from Premium to Unlimited, now I am hearing ads. I logged out and back in and that didn't resolve it. My credit card and account confirmed I am paid and on the unlimited plan.

Any other suggestions?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi, and welcome to the community!

What device + OS are you on? Please note unlimited only removes ads on desktop, on mobile you will still get ads.

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

View solution in original post

26 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi, and welcome to the community!

What device + OS are you on? Please note unlimited only removes ads on desktop, on mobile you will still get ads.

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

This has never before been the case. I've been using the spotify app with my unlimited account since it was first released. I've never heard a single ad until this most recent app update was pushed out. I'd sooner cancel my account for bait-and-switch than upgrade to premium to restore functionality I've always had.

Spotify needs to explain this or fix it.

It has been confirmed on another thread in a response from Spotify customer services (as I suspected) that ad-free radio on mobile devices for unlimited subscribers has been withdrawn. Spotify Unlimited now only gives you ad-free listening on the desktop client (as advertised - ad free radio on mobile was never an announced feature that I am aware of).

If you want ad-free listening on all devices, you need a premium subscription I'm afraid. 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thank you for the update.

I too have had I limited Spotify and have never heard an ad on my mobile device until today. Spirit never advised me that they were going to start running ads for mobile listeners. It makes me want to cancel.

i cancelled my account. ad injection on the unlimited mobile radio so late in the game is a completely lame move on spotify's part. anyone else frustrated by their decision should do the same. itunes radio plays ads with about the same frequency on ios and is free.

paying an additional $5 a month to regain a feature (intended/advertised or not) isn't really a solution. spotify should know better than to jerk users around like that. when netflix did something similar, people didn't cough up the extra money, were vocal about their unwillingness to do so, and policy reverted in favor of what users had become accustomed to. that's the way business should function--not, "hey, sorry. pay us more and you can have that back...WITH EXTRAS!"

I find it extremely annoying that spotify didn't inform us they were going to start inserting ads in the unlimited subscription stream. If enough people cancel, maybe they'll get the message. If I want to hear ads I can use my free Pandora account. I don't need to pay Spotify.

I think there is such a small number of people using unlimited compared to premium, and the fact ad-free mobile radio was only available in the US is why the changes took place the way they did.

I don't work for Spotify so I don't know, just using my experience!

Peter

I'll be canceling my account if they don't revert this. What difference does the device make if I'm listening in my room. Quote from the spotify account page: "Spotify Unlimited means no adverts, EVER"

That page needs updating sadly (and it has been reported) - that was true back when unlimited customers (apart from in the US) couldn't even login on a mobile device.

Peter

For a glorious period of about a year, users in the U.S. who had the Unlimited membership could listen to Spotify on our mobile phones. We didn't know that users in other countries didn't have this great feature. Very recently Spotify started making Unlimited members listen to ads without telling this was going to happen or telling us why. It has annoyed quite a few people.

Ps: I meant to say: could listen on our mobile phones without advertising.

It was just in the US as far as I am aware, lucky peeps!

Peter

I've reported this to the better business bureau. I encourage others to do the same. You promised no ads ever and should deliver on that promise.

Business Information
Spotify
45 West 18th Street, 7th Floor
New York, NY 10011

Complaint Summary
Complaint Type: Consumer to Business Complaint
Nature of complaint: A bait & switch advertisement
Problem description:
Spotify previously had three types of services. Free, Unlimited and Premium. Under their payed Unlimited service they promised no ads ever. An actual quote from their account page: "Spotify Unlimited means no adverts, EVER." Now that they are trying to get rid of Unlimited they have added ads to their mobile app. Saying that we have to pay for premium to remove ads for mobile.
Desired Settlement: Change the Store Policy
Desired Outcome:
Would like them to restore their previous promise.

Great idea. I'll do the same.

I agree. I had been a spotify user for at least 2 years, was downgraded due to a billing dispute and did get unlimited back, however the ads are on my desktop app and ive lost mobile streaming access... Seems like a easy way for them to bait and switch. BBB will be notified.

@Chrisjphelan - You definitely should not have adverts on your desktop application. Does it say "Spotify Unlimited" at the top? 

Peter

Hi, I'm an ipad user and a spotify newcomer, just paid 5 euros for unlimited....canceling immediately, I'd like to have my money back!

Suggested posts