Unlimited, hearing ads now!

Solved!

Unlimited, hearing ads now!

Racer32
Casual Listener

I downgraded my account from Premium to Unlimited, now I am hearing ads. I logged out and back in and that didn't resolve it. My credit card and account confirmed I am paid and on the unlimited plan.

Any other suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: Unlimited, hearing ads now!

Taylor
Community Legend

Hi, and welcome to the community!

What device + OS are you on? Please note unlimited only removes ads on desktop, on mobile you will still get ads.

Anthony :)

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||
26 Replies
Solution!

Taylor
Community Legend

Hi, and welcome to the community!

What device + OS are you on? Please note unlimited only removes ads on desktop, on mobile you will still get ads.

Anthony :)

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

visd
Casual Listener

This has never before been the case. I've been using the spotify app with my unlimited account since it was first released. I've never heard a single ad until this most recent app update was pushed out. I'd sooner cancel my account for bait-and-switch than upgrade to premium to restore functionality I've always had.

Spotify needs to explain this or fix it.

Peter__
Community Legend

It has been confirmed on another thread in a response from Spotify customer services (as I suspected) that ad-free radio on mobile devices for unlimited subscribers has been withdrawn. Spotify Unlimited now only gives you ad-free listening on the desktop client (as advertised - ad free radio on mobile was never an announced feature that I am aware of).

If you want ad-free listening on all devices, you need a premium subscription I'm afraid. 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Racer32
Casual Listener

Thank you for the update.

Waterandwine
Casual Listener
I too have had I limited Spotify and have never heard an ad on my mobile device until today. Spirit never advised me that they were going to start running ads for mobile listeners. It makes me want to cancel.

visd
Casual Listener

i cancelled my account. ad injection on the unlimited mobile radio so late in the game is a completely lame move on spotify's part. anyone else frustrated by their decision should do the same. itunes radio plays ads with about the same frequency on ios and is free.

visd
Casual Listener

paying an additional $5 a month to regain a feature (intended/advertised or not) isn't really a solution. spotify should know better than to jerk users around like that. when netflix did something similar, people didn't cough up the extra money, were vocal about their unwillingness to do so, and policy reverted in favor of what users had become accustomed to. that's the way business should function--not, "hey, sorry. pay us more and you can have that back...WITH EXTRAS!"

Waterandwine
Casual Listener
I find it extremely annoying that spotify didn't inform us they were going to start inserting ads in the unlimited subscription stream. If enough people cancel, maybe they'll get the message. If I want to hear ads I can use my free Pandora account. I don't need to pay Spotify.
Highlighted

Peter__
Community Legend
I think there is such a small number of people using unlimited compared to premium, and the fact ad-free mobile radio was only available in the US is why the changes took place the way they did.

I don't work for Spotify so I don't know, just using my experience!

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

SUGGESTED POSTS