Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unwanted email

Solved!

Unwanted email

Hi all, I receive lately email from: no-reply@news.spotifymail.com That someone, who is not a friend of mine, has added new tracks. Is this guinine and can i stop this safely?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi guys,

Don't worry, these emails are from us. Just to keep you informed of the goings on around your Spotify. So, when a friend signs up to Spotify, when a playlist you are subscribed to has been updated or when someone has subscribed to one of your playlists, you'll get a little email through.

If you don't want to receive them, just head to your account page and change the 'Notification' settings here: www.spotify.com/account/profile/

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

View solution in original post

150 Replies

Looks like the email is fake. Spotify emails should come from something@spotify.com.

Do not click on links on the email and definitely don't put in your password if asked.

Nothing is being asked... Looks like just some information.

Also weird... According to this, it is from spotify http://network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=dnsrec&host=spotifymail.com
Marked as solution

Hi guys,

Don't worry, these emails are from us. Just to keep you informed of the goings on around your Spotify. So, when a friend signs up to Spotify, when a playlist you are subscribed to has been updated or when someone has subscribed to one of your playlists, you'll get a little email through.

If you don't want to receive them, just head to your account page and change the 'Notification' settings here: www.spotify.com/account/profile/

-------

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

It's not a good idea to use domains like "spotifymail.com" for your emails. Phishing scams use domains like that to trick people into clicking their link and to take your password.

Why can't you just have them come from something@spotify.com?

Ok, thanks... But why do i receive it from only one person who i dont know and is not in my friends list, even not on my facebook?

Stupify - I'm afraid I can't give you an answer for that. I wasn't involved in the set up. I've sent your feedback over though.

Callousp - Was it about a playlist you were subscribed to? You'll get the email if the owner of the playlist updates any tracks.
-------

Who's your Spotify Star?

Ooo... That could be it... I have some subscriptions via hotspotify.com I guess that will be it... Thank you!!

Hello.

I'm getting unwanted emails like

Bob added a track to the playlist  Artist - Playlist "

from no-reply@news.spotifymail.com

Even though I've set all my Notifications to "Never" under https://www.spotify.com/no/account/profile/

How can this be?

Hi Buman - Just taken a look and it seems you've opened two accounts on our system. Therefore you've probably only updated the email notifications for just one account. 

If you follow these steps here you can disable the new Facebook one: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Accounts-Subscriptions-and-Music/Please-read-Missing-playlists-Premi...

Then just adjust your 'buman' email settings. 

Interesting. I'm having exactly the same symptoms, but I tried the solution recommended here and it didn't solve it.  In my case, I keep getting notifications that some guy I've never met added new tracks to a shared playlist.  The thing is I'm not subscribed to that playlist.  However, when I look at that playlist, I can see that another account with my name is subscribed to it.

So it makes me think there are two Spotify accounts both with the same email address and name, and one is subscribed to this guy's playlist and the other isn't.  Unfortunately, I can't find a way to log into the one that's subscribed.  So I submitted a customer service ticket.  Hopefully they can figure it out.

Hi ToddBradley  - I've just had a search in our system. Looks as though you've just got the one account which is good. 

So did you receive that notification by email too? Or just within the desktop app?

Please try subscribing and then immediately unsubscribing from that playlist--give me a shout if you keep getting those notifications. 

IMO very stupid. I instantly marked this as Spam.

Better fix this so mails come from spotify.com, otherwise you'll make it a much easier for phising mails, what was the geniune Spotify address again? 😛

And please don't add me mailing lists without my consent, if I want updates about playlists I should get the option to subscribe, not get spammed.

Hi, Meredith.  I opened a support ticket on this same issue, which is now closed.  The person who helped me (Lorenzo) said he could not find any record of a second account, either, and that there's no record of me being subscribed to the playlist that I was getting notifications for.  To answer your question, the notifications were just via email.  So, it appears nobody at Spotify can understand what's going on.

It seems there are only two possible explanations.  Either the email notifications are not really coming from Spotify, in which case you have email security issues, OR there's a bug in your software where notifications are generated from playlist changes to users who aren't currently subscribed. Either way, you should probably have someone look into the matter.

For a short term fix, the person who resolved my support ticket blocked my email notifications from this one particular playlist.  But that just hides whatever Spotify's deeper problem is.

Thanks for your help.

Hi ToddBradley - I can assure you we're busy looking into this for you all. 

Thanks for providing such detailed info--always incredibly helpful. Could you also please confirm both your Operating System as well as the Spotify version installed? 

Soon as I've got an update I'll share it here. 

Spotify version 0.8.4.124.ga3559d86 (it sure would be nice if the About Spotify dialog box had selectable text, so someone could copy-and-paste that long version number) and Mac OS X 10.7.4

I've recently been getting complaints from some of my Facebook friends about emails they're receiving from Spotify, on my behalf. I have a published playlist, and apparently when I add a song to this playlist, my Facebook friends receive an email from Spotify stating that I have added a song to my playlist. The people who are receiving these emails are not subscribed to my playlist.

Why is this happening? How can I stop it? I've been unable to locate any information pertaining to this. I don't want Spotify to send emails to my Facebook friends when I add a song to a playlist. That seems like borderline spam, to me. If these people were subscribed to the playlist, I may understand that. But this makes no sense.

Hi pavy - I've just moved your post to this similiar thread. We're currently looking into this one for you. 

It'd be helpful if we know the OS/ Spotify version your friends were using. In the meantime, have they tried subscribing and then immediately unsubscribing from one of the playlist in question?

Hello. I've had two complaints from two different Facebook friends about receiving emails alerting them to my adding a song to my published playlist. Neither of these Facebook friends are subscribed to the playlist. They are simply friends with me on Facebook and they are also Spotify users. Again, they are not subscribed to my playlist nor have they been at any time.

I use Spotify on 2 devices:

- PC, Windows 7, Spotify version 0.8.4.124.ga3559d86

- iPhone 4s, Spotify version: App 0.5.5.23.g3ea51c3a, Spotify Core 0.8.2.1391.g2d517ad4

I'm not aware of what OS or Spotify version my friends are using.

Suggested posts