Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unwanted email

Solved!

Unwanted email

Hi all, I receive lately email from: no-reply@news.spotifymail.com That someone, who is not a friend of mine, has added new tracks. Is this guinine and can i stop this safely?
150 Replies

I'm having this same issue with Facebook friends getting e-mails re: updates to my playlists that they are not subscribed to ... is there any know fix for this yet?

People can manage their own notifications settings within their Edit Profile page. If you no longer wanted to get emails, then just pop over here and change your notifications. However, you can't manage the notifications you send at present. 

Airhorn Enthusiast

David,

Can you explain to us why Spotify is sending playlist update notifications to random Facebook friends, who are not subscribed to our playlists? Don't you think that's pretty annoying? I can't imagine there is anyone who would not be annoyed by this. I'm paying $10 per month to use a great service, but this has me on the fence about dropping your product until you have reasonable privacy controls. And make no mistake, this is a privacy issue. Ridiculous.

Hi pavy - I can assure you that we are looking into this for you. I understand that must be quite annoying--for both you and your Facebook friends. 

As soon as we've got an update we'll let you know here. Thanks for your patience while we investigate. 

I don't mean to fan the flames, because I'm not really "hot under the collar" about this, but as a long time software engineering veteran, debugging this kind of software flaw is the kind of thing most companies I've worked for would give a junior programmer to figure out and expect it to be resolved by the end of tomorrow.  The logic to detect a change to a playlist can't be hard (and obviously works), the logic to build a list of subscribers to that list should be nothing more than a database table join, and the logic to send a notification to each of the users on that list should be about 3 lines of code.  

Unless Spotify's back-end server code is a total hack job, this is about as far from rocket science as you can get.  The fact that this problem leaked out of development and that it hasn't been fixed yet tells me two things.  First, the software is probably more of a hack job than anyone would like to admit (I've spent a small amount of time working for "internet startups" and know how stuff gets slapped together). And second, there are probably some serious gaps in test coverage that Spotify management really should dedicate some resources to address.  If there's one thing I've learned about software quality, it's that bugs come in clusters.  Where you find one, there are probably ten others you haven't found yet.

I agree with ToddBradley. This sort of thing should be simple enough to track down and just as simple to control and prevent from happening.

FYI, I've confirmed that this is not happening with all of my Facebook friends who are using Spotify.

I was recently notified that  a friend of mine subscribed to a playlist that I deleted a couple of weeks ago. I'm also pretty sure that I never published it. How did he find it and is there any way to really delete playlists or to keep them private?

amaranthine - I've moved your post to this thread as I believe the two issues might be related. 

Mind if I ask which playlist they've subscribed too? I can see if it's still active and published. 

I also get a lot of pointless notification messages about the spotify activities of my so called "friends".

It's just cheap, and above all annoying advertising.

Firstly, Spotify makes it difficult to unsubscribe with one touch directly from the newsletter itself and secondly the great people from Spotify make it impossible to save my adjustment that I don't want to receive email!

Within the settings area I can not make permanent changes because I get the error message:
'There is already another account registered with this email address' This is simply not true.

In short it is darn difficult for people to switch of a simple email newsletter. This has everything to do with the fact that most people do not bother to discuss these issues, which result in a very low email drop out rate.

Good for the Spotify ad revenue but bad for the customer satisafaction.

Hi dkuijf - I believe you're having trouble because you previously opened an account via your Facebook. I've removed that account now so you should be able to adjust those settings no problem. 

Just head over to your profile page: https://www.spotify.com/account/profile/

yes, it is an annoying feature.  only b/c the notifications are so constant.  we should be able to disable notifications in "preferences", ideally being able to choose what playlists we would like notifications for and which we don't.  a universal on/off switch for notifications when...

1.  a user adds a song to a playlist you are subscribed to

2.  a person subscribes one of you playlists

would be ideal.  getting 20 notifications from a user adding songs to a playlist i'm sub'd to, and annoying 400 users with 20 notifications when i add songs to my playlists is NO BUENO!  we should be able to choolse.

-------------------------------------
The Stream Lab is a guide for streaming music festivals, concerts, clubs, and DJs. Watch as it happens live from around the globe, FREE! We also have a kick-ass Spotify profile!

I am getting emails from Spotify about Playlist changes and I have unsubscribed to every email notification I can find.  

STOP SPAMMING ME WITH THIS!

Image of emails I am getting : https://skitch.com/dizzi45z/ei4sy/jen-added-a-track-to-the-playlist-love-inbox

Image of my preferences : https://skitch.com/dizzi45z/ei4s8/edit-your-profile-spotify

Don't know what to do any more to stop these unless I totally SPAM block Spotify completely in my Email settings.  

I'm receiving email notifications about a friend's playlist that I haven't subscribed.

As it says in the email footer I've tried to disable them in my profile preferences, but they are already disabled!

Just in case, I've tried to turn on and then off the option buttons and save again my profile, but then the form complains about my email address: "there is another account registered with this email address" it says. This must be some kind of error in that form.

It would be very interesting that you check about that couple of problems.

I have seen a lot of threads in the forum about the notification problem, so I suppose that you already know it.

I hope you can solve it quickly. Thank you in advance!

@Dizzi45Z

You can turn off or modify notification emails on your account profile page. I'm sorry if those emails have been winding you up.

@ChusZ

You have inadvertantly created a second account via Facebook (It's a little too easy to do). You'll notice others in this thread with the same issue.

I have deleted the second account.

Let us know if you have any more hassles.

@Jude Thank you very much!

I have headed on over to my profile and it is set as had it originally: TO RECIEVE NO EMAILS!!!!! and yet I continue to get pesky emails.  Either stop sending me emails, or DISCONTINUE my account, which by the way I found no option to do.[  This I DO NOT like!!

Thank you for fixing this problem

I am having this probelm too and it's a HUGE one.  I do not want email from me or my spotify account to come in 

or go out in any way.  Please advise.

Jude,

Your post is not the solution. It doesn't even address the original post in this thread. If you go back and read the original post, you'll see that the poster mentions receiving email from "someone, who is not a [Facebook] friend" that the "someone" added new tracks to a playlist.

This should not be happening.

To everyone else: keep posting about this issue. It's obviously affecting more than just a few people, and it's completely unacceptable.

putting this back on here as an example of how bothersome this feature can be..,

I unsubscribed from a playlist over a MONTH ago and still CONSTANTLY get notifications that tracks are being added to it.  This is why i unsubscribed it in the first place b/c the notifications were so constant it became annoying.  stop the madness!!!  Here is the playlist that i unsub'd in case that helps ROQ OF THE 80's (&90's) New Wave, Dark Wave, Grunge, Ska, Punk, Post-Punk (106.7 KROQ Inspired)

-------------------------------------
The Stream Lab is a guide for streaming music festivals, concerts, clubs, and DJs. Watch as it happens live from around the globe, FREE! We also have a kick-ass Spotify profile!

Totally agree with pavy, this is absolutely unacceptable. I will be watching this space for a solution and if it doesn't come quick I'm dropping my subscription. I can't live with the paranoia of my contacts getting spammed each time I add a song to a playlist. 

Suggested posts