Free

Country

US

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I don't really have a question, just wanted to give some information. My account was accessed recently and a number of playlists were added, likely in an attempt for monetary gain by playing the same songs repeatedly.

My account was an old free account from 2009. It was not associated with any social media (e.g. Facebook) as it pre-dates any of those features. My password was unique to this account (although it was an easier password to guess, and has since been updated). The only devices that have been used to access Spotify over the past 6 months or so are an Android phone and Windows 10 on a recently purchased computer that was primarily used for work. No new programs were installed close to the time of the original added playlist (14 days ago), however Spotify itself was updated approximately 12 days ago.

If I were to take an educated guess, I believe it is more likely that my account was exploited via a brute-force attack or some sort of server-side exploit, but I cannot verify this information. Thanks for your time and have a great day!

1 Reply

Hello there @tymbrwulf,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

We can confirm that Spotify has not been compromised and our users' data is secure. The security of your account and your personal information is very important for us at Spotify and our security team is ever vigilant to keep them safe for you.

There are also several things you can do yourself to ensure your account is well protected. We recommend you visit this support page to learn how.

Hopefully it will not come to this! But should you loose access to your account, be sure to follow the steps on this page. The support team will then help you to secure your account and hand it back to you.

Feel free to reach out to us again, if you're having any concerns.

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts