Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Upgrade Premium (with free trial) to Premium Family

Upgrade Premium (with free trial) to Premium Family

I just signed up for a Premium account through a promotion the includes 6 months free.  I am trying to upgrade to Premium Family.  I expected the trial to carry over.  Would understand if it's prorated.  But, since they are both called "Premium" and the come on for the free trial referred to "Premium", it stands to reason this should carry over.

How do I get (even prorated) credit for the Premium free trial that I have?

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

MBP

Operating System

OSX / Safari

11 Replies

Hello @yetiquatch!

Can you let me know if you created the Premium for Family subscription (using that account)? If so, your Premium time will be used in your Premium for Family subscription. However, if you joined a Premium for Family subscription but didn't create it, your Premium will resume when the Premium for Family subscription ends.

Hope this helps clear things up 🙂

Jose_MSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi Jose,
I created as Premium. When I went to upgrade to Premium Family, it seemed like the credit would be lost, so I cancelled the upgrade and posted here. So, I'm still Premium with the free 6 months, but it looked like if I followed through with the Premium Family upgrade, I'd lose the free credit. That seems like a lot to lose...

Hello @yetiquatch! Thanks for your reply.

Once you sign up for a regular Premium subscription, you can always upgrade to Premium for Family by going here

Premium for Family is excluded from any offers and has a fixed monthly price which is higher than the regular Premium price. This means that the Premium time will be adjusted to the price difference.

You can check your billing status on your subscription page after upgrading to Family. If you sign up now, the due date of your subscription will be moved forward and your next payment will be debited earlier. This is because you start using the Family options immediately.

If you're struggling to upgrade, I'd  recommend you try again in a private/incognito window.

Hope this helps and make sure to keep me posted 🙂

Jose_MSpotify Star

Well, unfortunately, I lost the trial time when I upgraded to family.  My billing was 6 months out on "premium", but now that I upgraded to Premium Family, billing date is a month from today.

Seems pretty cheap on Spotify's part.  I would certainly understand prorating the trial, but killing it outright is pimpy.  Not especially amused.  Attached screen shot is what it showed just before the upgrade.

But, Jose, thanks for your feedback.

Any suggestion on how to appeal to Spotify to restore my trial?

Marcus

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 12.41.48 PM.png

Hello @yetiquatch,

Looking at the screenshot that you sent, it seems that this trial offer covered only the regular Premium plan. 

In this case, I'd recommend using a link to a Premium Family trial offer in order to try the family plan features. The link can be found on this help page. However, this isn't so relevant if you have already paid for Premium Family.

Hope this helps clear things up.

Jose_MSpotify Star

Marcus, that outcome **bleep**, but I really appreciate your posting the answer as I was about to do the same thing! I hope you got your trial back.

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out! We'll happily help you sort this one out.

As @Jose_M pointed out, you can upgrade your Premium trial to Premium Family at any time. When you do so, you get instant access to all Premium Family features and the date for the due payment gets moved forward. This is because of the price difference between the plans. You can check your next payment date here

If you get instantly billed for Premium Family, it's possible that you've activated the regular plan for another account. In that case we recommend that you have a look at this Spotify Answer. Keep in mind that you can only activate one trial offer.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have the free premium trial and am trying to upgrade to premium family, but it says I am not eligible. Why not? Do I need to cancel the free trial first? Thanks.

Hey @Jzski4849,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for joining the conversation. 

You should be able to change your subscription from the free trial to Premium Family directly on your account page. We'd recommend changing your plan by accessing your Account page > Your plan > Change plan.

If you're still getting the error message, we'd suggest trying again in an incognito window or a different browser using your account to see if it makes any difference.

Hope this helps. If anything else comes up, don't hesitate to ask. 

OscarDCModerator

Hi,
I am about to finish my three month free premium trial and am trying to upgrade to a premium family account.
I get the message 'Unable to change plans. This could be because you're not eligible for this plan, you're already on it, or you don't have a stored payment method.'
I've tried an incognito window and still no luck. Any ideas?

Hey @mrsob737,

Thanks for reaching out.

Are you still having this issue? If yes, you can try upgrading from the Premium Family page as an alternative.

Keep us posted.

MihailYModerator

Suggested posts