Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Upgrade to Premium not possible - Spotify won't accept my CreditCard

Upgrade to Premium not possible - Spotify won't accept my CreditCard

Hey there, 

Im origionally from Germany, but currently in the States... I plan on traveling to South America too. Now I wanted to upgrade my Spotify account to Premium so I can use the offline mode and listen to my playlists etc. when Im on the go, but whenever I try to fill in my Credit Card Information the site claims they wouldn't be correct (although Im positive I tiped in everthing correctly and actually tried many times now, even with different cards). So apparently spotify won't accept my Credit Card, may that be because it's a german card and my current IP is from the US? How can I solve the problem in order to still get the Spotify upgrade - I really wanna have access to the offline modus 😉

Im glad if anyone can help! Thanks in advance guys.

Pilar

2 Replies

Pilar,

The Spotify service only allows you to use a credit card that has been issed in the country that you are subscrbing in/to.

As stated on the Spotify wesbite:

Spoiler

If you intend to use a payment method in another country, you need to change your country to match.

You can either subscribe as a German user at https://www.spotify.com/de/ or get a Spotify Gift Cards or a US pre-paid credit card.

@Liski wrote:

Pilar,

The Spotify service only allows you to use a credit card that has been issed in the country that you are subscrbing in/to.

As stated on the Spotify wesbite:

Spoiler

If you intend to use a payment method in another country, you need to change your country to match.

You can either subscribe as a German user at https://www.spotify.com/de/ or get a Spotify Gift Cards or a US pre-paid credit card.

That is not entirely correct. 

The Spotify system requires your Spotify profile country and your credit card to be registered in the same country. You can only change your Spotify profile country to your current location, since it is based on the location of your IP address. 

If your current country is set to US, then you will be unable to subscribe using a German credit card. You have 2 easy options, if you can access a computer (or a proxy) in Germany, then you can change your Spotify country to Germany and then subscribe using your German card. Otherwise, you can purchase Spotify gift cards from Target stores in the US and pay using any method and then redeem against your account.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts